Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
heavenboundkevin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
heavenboundkevin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
*HELP my s13 is gonna die if i dont get this cooling problem solved.

My engine overheats ridiculously quick. It'll start fine and i will drive 3 miles never going abouve 45MPH and my temp gauge will go into the overheat area of the gauge. When i was trying to drive uphill over a bridge (couldnt pull over) my temp needle went WAY past the very top tick marks...When i popped the hood, the drivers side top radiator mount was steaming. My coolant overflow levels were fine. This is on a stock dual cam Ka with only 110000 miles. I used to run the car with the heater on to help this problem, but now my heater control wont work. its stuck on cold. Im pretty sure my fuses are good, the ones by the drivers side door anyways, im not sure about the ones under the hood.

So can anyone help me figure out what the problem is? i know theres a leak or maybe a couple somewhere, but i really dont want to risk dirivng it home 338 miles away to get to my house to work on it. I also drove it from San diego to LA, and to Las vegas multiple times within the past month. This overheating problem only came about when my heater control took a piss.... please help before my little coupe dies !!

I searched overheating problems, nothing on this topic...
heavenboundkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
upstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i would check leaks, air in ur system will do that, also is your overflow tank working right, i did an sr swap and didnt put in a overclock, i just blocked it off, and i had heating issues.when u say the drivers side radiator mount is steaming it soundslike u have a leak there, i had the passenger side of my old radiator used to steam and the car wud over heat, i had a very very small crack in it, the crack in this will eliminate any pressure , which is needed to keep the water from boiling, but anything it sounds like you radiator has a leak
upstate240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
apex
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
apex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfectionapex is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
sound kinda like the thermo. stuck closed
Old 10-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
If you know there are leaks, then why dont you fucking fixed them??? It aint gonna fix itself...you can start by finding the leaks when its hot. If its steaming, you got a leak there. Change the hose. Its not exactly rocket science...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
mrpeepers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
mrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
If you know there are leaks, then why dont you fucking fixed them??? It aint gonna fix itself...you can start by finding the leaks when its hot. If its steaming, you got a leak there. Change the hose. Its not exactly rocket science...
Obviously the OP is no master mech... that being said i think the suspect may be the thermometer. As for the steaming check all hoses for cracks and touch the radiator to see if there are spots hotter than others which may indicate a blockage or a leak
mrpeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
army240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
army240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try to take out your thermostat to see if it's still overheating... if it's not, just change the thermostat.
army240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeepers View Post
Obviously the OP is no master mech... that being said i think the suspect may be the thermometer. As for the steaming check all hoses for cracks and touch the radiator to see if there are spots hotter than others which may indicate a blockage or a leak
Gues neither are you, what the fuck is a thermometer on a car?!?!

All Im saying is, if he thinks/knows theres a leak, why dont he start with that. If fixing the leak doesnt help, then thats when you start flushing the whole system. If flushing dont help, then its time to start changing parts. You gotta start somewhere, you cant just jump straight to swapping parts if you dont need to.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
mrpeepers
Zilvia Junkie

mrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nice
Thermometer...thermostat.....:ke ke:
mrpeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
kouki_matt
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
kouki_matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the same thing is happening to my 14 with a ka but im also lose alot of coolant i was told it could be my head gasket but there is no smoke and it would smell if it was so idk what to do if you find out let me know
kouki_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
BeauS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
BeauS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BeauS13
check your waterpump it may be leaking
BeauS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
If the temp gauge just starts rising and doesn't stop rising, check the thermostat. If the coolant just stays at one point in the engine then it won't ever cool down. Take the thing out and see what happens.
renegade_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote