Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I do the roller paint job on my car....

As most of you have seen...this paint job can yield great results if you have the patience and pay attention to detail.

Welp...my car has been five shades of green for quite awhile and its finally getting to me. After seeing Maeda and fliprayzin240sx I decide to give it a go. My only problem was that I was tight on time...so I kinda rushed things..such as taping the seals instead of removing them.

I'm still not completely done, as I'm waiting for my JDM rear bumper to come in, paint the mirrors and give a final wetsand and polish.

I will say that doing this paint job is damn tedious...I started on Sunday with sanding the car and finished the last coat on Friday. I put on six coats and literally waited almost 24 hours between each coat.

NOW...onto pics (what little I took):

Here is the clearcoat sanded off with 400 grit sandpaper. You can see most of the materials I used for this project:

Here is the first coat.....a classic WTF moment...

Every coat had to be layed down thin...so the first and second coat look horrid.

I don't have a picture of the second coat, but here is a pic of the third coat..you can see the color start to show...

Wetsand the car and layed down the fourth coat. By this time HOA finally jumped on my ass...so I had to move the car to a friend's house to finish it up. Here is the fourth coat...

I missed out on taking a pic of the fifth coat since I was in a rush to get this thing done. Speaking of which...I finished the sixth coat on Friday. As I said before it still needs some work...mainly the rear bumper, mirrors, and wetsand (1000-2000 grit), then polish. This paint takes atleast three months to fully cure...but once it does it will be solid (think of a cast iron tub enamel). I plan on painting the mirrors black and using the enamel spray paint this time around.

Here is the sixth coat:

Once everything is complete I will host a writeup on my website. I recommend this for someone that has time and patience on their side. Also suggest this for someone that has a really bad paint job and doesn't care about winning points at a show.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
skylinekin
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
skylinekin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
wow!! looks great man, Im really interested in this, about how much did you spend total on this?
skylinekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
mr.lonelys12
Zilvia Member

mr.lonelys12 is a jewel in the roughmr.lonelys12 is a jewel in the roughmr.lonelys12 is a jewel in the roughmr.lonelys12 is a jewel in the roughmr.lonelys12 is a jewel in the roughmr.lonelys12 is a jewel in the roughmr.lonelys12 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to mr.lonelys12
that is some straight up crazy shit? what kind of paint did you use?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinekin
wow!! looks great man, Im really interested in this, about how much did you spend total on this?

I spent about $68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.lonelys12
that is some straight up crazy shit? what kind of paint did you use?
The paint I used for professional grade Rustoleum enamel. I thinned it out with mineral sprits and rolled it onto the car using a dense foam 4" roller. Sounds ghetto...and yea it actually might be...but for the price I'm not complaining.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 94cc0rd
woww ... do the pictures make the paint job look better or is it really that good in person?
94cc0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you're thinking about trying this, the best tip is to get a sanding block. Then wetsand as much as possible between coats like he did. It will make the paint really shine.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
apexiSR202nr

apexiSR202nr is an unknown quantity at this point
damn good job! did you also do the door jams? I wouldn't mind paintin my car like this in the near future along with my new aero kit. How does the final finish look on the car? shinny and glossy as OEM paint? from the final pics of your car it looks like its a professional paint job!
apexiSR202nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cc0rd
woww ... do the pictures make the paint job look better or is it really that good in person?

The picture hides the orange peel that will go away after a wetsand and buff. Besides the seals having some paint left on them and the mirrors (as you can see in the last pic)...it does look really good in person. My neighbors (those that supported me) were wowed by the final result and said it looked good.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
silversr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
silversr is making a name for him/her selfsilversr is making a name for him/her selfsilversr is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
holy shit! It looks like it's professionally done.Looks way better than the paint job on my accord
Old 08-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
If you're thinking about trying this, the best tip is to get a sanding block. Then wetsand as much as possible between coats like he did. It will make the paint really shine.
Yea...I recommend a sanding block...I skipped using one and man did it make sanding a PITA. I wetsand between every two coats with 800 grit...this helps to get right of the runs and have the next coat of paint adhere better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexiSR202nr
damn good job! did you also do the door jams? I wouldn't mind paintin my car like this in the near future along with my new aero kit. How does the final finish look on the car? shinny and glossy as OEM paint? from the final pics of your car it looks like its a professional paint job!
I got lazy and skipped to door jambs...I have some runs on them...but I will sand that off. I actually want to keep the door jambs green so I can reflect on what the car use to look like.

The paint is glossy and has some good reflection going on...but I wouldn't say shiny (or a mirror finish) since I have yet to buff it. Once I do that...I will post a pic in this thread or the other one (depending on how soon I do it).
Old 08-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Again, best roller job i've seen George. :thumbs up:

Questions:

-What did you do as far as keeping dust from sticking onto the paint when you were letting it dry over night?

-In the last pic, it looks very good even though im sure there is orange peal. Im assuming you got that shine from wetsanding, so was there any sanding marks with the wetsand that requires buffing afterwards? I have to check it out in person some day =D
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
for a roll job it looks good from far..... but hows the 5 feet rule?
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #13
Nismo240SX
Zilvia Addict

Nismo240SX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nismo240SX
how far is woodbridge from 24354?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #14
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Looks pretty good. I tried it on my spare trunk. Spent hella long on it too. It didn't even look close to an actual paint job. I power polished it too. I'd rather not spend half of my life wet sanding and just pay someone to paint the car. I can't imagine someone trying to do black. Orange peel city!
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #15
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Wow looks good from what I can see. Might have to consider this in the future, it's almost cheaper that flat-blacking the car!

-Matt
Old 08-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
WOWZERS white kouki w/ black rims = sex. nice job mate! im haveing a hella hard time trying to find the rustoleum that ISNT in spray cans... Id like to do this before swapping my blacktop in. Dupicolor "professional automotive grade" shit is soft as fuck and inst worth a shit... besides spray cans run out too fast. Good job. I like using 1000 grit when wetsanding between coats. I wonder if they make that stuff in clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #17
TurK
Zilvia Addict

TurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-knownTurK is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to TurK
its a 20/20 job....looks good from 20 feet at 20 mph....lol j/m looking good man...props
TurK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
drifter808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
drifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
how does this technique hold up on urethane bumpers? will it chip real easily? if it hold up good i might do this pretty soon.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #19
jdm538
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
jdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
wow looks nice im gonna have to try this on a trunk lid.
jdm538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #20
Nismo240SX
Zilvia Addict

Nismo240SX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nismo240SX
i'm amazed by this... i really am. it seems like someone else on here can work wonders on cheap, but yet better than maaco looking paintjobs. why can't you use metallic again? i would do this if i could use metallic. could you not mix metallic flake when thinning the paint with the mineral spirits? great job... buff that thing and give us a pic, please!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #21
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
omg ftw. this looks on par with maeda's roller paint. it looks good on computer pixels but you guys say it looks like shit in real life from like 10 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #22
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240
WOWZERS white kouki w/ black rims = sex. nice job mate! im haveing a hella hard time trying to find the rustoleum that ISNT in spray cans... Id like to do this before swapping my blacktop in. Dupicolor "professional automotive grade" shit is soft as fuck and inst worth a shit... besides spray cans run out too fast. Good job. I like using 1000 grit when wetsanding between coats. I wonder if they make that stuff in clear?
Home Depot or Lowes should carry this stuff in quarts and gallons

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #23
luisgonz
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to luisgonz
Wow Just Plain wow. Great job
luisgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #24
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
So you actually just painted your car by hand and made all that mess in that nice clean parking lot just to save about $150? With a paint roller? I mean it looks okay in the picture, but so does a Monet. Until you get up close. There is a reason they have body shops. So they can control things like the mess you made. I hate to say this to you, but while you might have saved a couple bucks,
it is really irresponsible to do something like that. Of course your HOA is going to be pissed. They pay good money for that asphalt parking lot.
Just think you should be more responsible while you do things to your car.
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 AM   #25
Ricks15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
Ricks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does that paint allready have clear coat mixed in? Or do you have to mix it in seperately and then put reducer??? It dont look that bad at all.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #26
WilloW
Zilvia FREAK!

WilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfectionWilloW is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to WilloW Send a message via Yahoo to WilloW
Hot damn! That is amazing, props to you for making it looks so good. With the condition of my paint right now, I think I will try this. Yay for no HOA. Congrats.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #27
chmercer
BANNED

chmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond repute
lol home owners association on your ass? what did they say?
chmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:00 AM   #28
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks15
Does that paint allready have clear coat mixed in? Or do you have to mix it in seperately and then put reducer??? It dont look that bad at all.
It's rust paint. Like from home depot. You can buy it by the gallon. You thin it with mineral spirits. Clear coat? LOL! I'll let you guys do it on your own cars to see how you really like it. Trust me. It won't look that good in real life. No matter how much you wet sand and polish. You'd be better off to put more hours in at work and pay for a maaco job.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #29
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
i dunno, i rolled paint my crappy foam s13 spoiler (faded) and zenki lip (since it's been thrashed alot), and it came out pretty nice, has a nice gloss to it, like it had clear coat on (i think they also sell clear coat too even though i didn't use any), i've only put 2 coats on the spoiler and 8 coats or so on the lip, pretty happy with the results, i'll post pics later whenever i fixed my damn maf problem...

i don't think this is meant to compare and compete to a stage 3 show car paint job, it's a really great way to paint beat up cars for cheap...
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:24 AM   #30
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD
You'd be better off to put more hours in at work and pay for a maaco job.
While i've seen some decent results from this, it seems like the time and effort aren't worth it. Maybe if your single, and have a place to do this and you have another car to drive then its worth it. Other than that I think most ppl would be better off having someone else do it for them(myself included)

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote