Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Trap Star
Gauging Interest: S14 Sunroof Delete Panel

First off: Mods, if this is the wrong section please move it.

Ok, so I'm in the process of building a sunroof delete panel for my S14 track car. The first iteration will be made of fiberglass. I am using the stock mounting studs because I can be sure it will hold, its convenient, and I plan on this being a removable piece. The other advantages are you lose quite a bit of weight if you ditch the sunroof assembly, and (if you're like me and 6'4") you gain some headroom which is great for us tall folks.

So, is anyone else interested in something like this? I have no idea yet where pricing would be set but that's something I'd like to get people's opinion on, especially those that are interested. Anyway, let me know here or through PM. Also if there is more of an interest for carbon fiber units let me know, just remember the price will be quite a bit higher.

Thanks, BJ
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I’d be interested in an s13 one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
I'd be fine with doing an s13 one but I need a car to do it with. My s13 coupe has no sunroof. After I get this done I'd be open to doing an S13 prototype for just the cost of the materials and the owner of the car would keep the finished product. Really depending on the whether or not the S14 version is marketable I'd probably just do the prototype for free on someones s13.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
These have been made in the past.

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=4784

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=162002

Quote:
Originally Posted by RurouniMidnight View Post
Just letting anyone thats interested know, kognition is making the s14 carbon delete panels again just hit him up by email or on facebook. I picked one up a little over a month ago and loving it. I also installed a non sunroof headliner to keep the interior looking clean.

No idea if Kognition still makes this piece.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
slideways2004
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
slideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slideways2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
These have been made in the past.

http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=4784

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=162002

No idea if Kognition still makes this piece.
He does not and does not plan on making any more.
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
If you do make these for daily drivers/non garaged cars you would have to build the drip channel with drain tube connections into the mold so they don't leak.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
jds

jds is making a name for him/her selfjds is making a name for him/her self
I would be interested in one for my drift car, the cage is tucked pretty close to to the bolts where I imagine it would mount though...

would it be contoured to the roof shape or flat?
jds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Good luck, I was planning on building one out of fiberglass that incorporated our track delete brackets we already make. But have never found myself with enough time.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
interested ... im even thinking of cuting the roof off and swaping it for one without a sunroof

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #10
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anderson View Post
If you do make these for daily drivers/non garaged cars you would have to build the drip channel with drain tube connections into the mold so they don't leak.
This is something I've thought about. For my use I won't be driving in the rain very often, if ever. So I'll be working on more of a non-daily version first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
I would be interested in one for my drift car, the cage is tucked pretty close to to the bolts where I imagine it would mount though...

would it be contoured to the roof shape or flat?
Plan is to match it with the roof. I think just having it be flat would look unfinished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post
interested ... im even thinking of cuting the roof off and swaping it for one without a sunroof
Yea, that's actually what my original plan was. I even had another roof I cut from a parts car but I ended up deciding on this instead.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #11
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
If you can get an s13 version busted out before late February, count me in. Build is going off for paint early March and would like to have everything by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

This is still moving forward. I started glassing this morning. There's still a lot of work ahead but progress is being made.

I'm also considering door finishers, a cover for the gap to the trunk, and maybe some other small bits. All of that is still in the idea stage though.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
cream

cream is an unknown quantity at this point
is this similar to what your making? They have s13 and s14 coupe ones http://northwindcomposites.com/produ...-insertdelete/
im trying to see if they can get some s13 hatch ones made.
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #14
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
is this similar to what your making? They have s13 and s14 coupe ones http://northwindcomposites.com/produ...-insertdelete/

That's rad!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cream View Post
I'd be in for a hatch one! Group buy?
Old 12-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
cream

cream is an unknown quantity at this point
i got a reply from one of the sunroof makers. He does make sunroof panels for coupe however is unable to make it for hatch.

Good morning,

My apologizes for the late response as I was out of the office last week for the holidays and am finally getting caught back up.

With regards to the S13 hatch, I don’t at present have a dedicated mold for it. This issue is that the glass size and contour is different between the hatch and coupe. The hatch glass piece I have measures 34.5in x 17.75in at the widest. This is a bit wider and longer than my other S13 and S14 molds. The contour matches my large S13 mold (I have two S13 coupe molds) pretty well but the extra size causes some problems. My molds carry the contour of the glass about 1-1.5in beyond the edge of the glass on all sides. This allows room for an oversized insert as I’ve found most actual delete installations require about 0.3-.4in additional material beyond the edge of the glass to completely fill the hole in the chassis. The problem with the hatch glass is that it is just large enough on its own that it butts right up to/overlaps the location on the mold where the contour quits following the glass. This doesn’t leave any room to cut the insert large to fill the chassis hole without having a fairly significant contour change in the insert at the corner edges.

That said, I have had a couple customers who felt that they were willing to give it a shot and I sent them an untrimmed insert so that they could trim to fit and try to avoid or minimize the corner contour issue. Unfortunately, I never heard back from those couple folks as to whether or not they were truly successful and how it turned out.

I apologize that I don’t have a clean solution to offer. That said, if you’re still interested in understanding thing a little more I can take some pictures of the hatch glass I have sitting in the mold to give you a better idea of what we’re up against.

Please let me know if this helps or there is anything further I can do to support you.

Thank you,

Lee Skidmore

Owner / President

Northwind Composites, LLC

208-290-5585

[email protected]

www.northwindcomposites.com

www.facebook.com/NorthwindComposites
cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #17
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Seems like Northwind offers both a glass replacement to retain the coupe power sunroof, and a full on delete panel. That's awesome.
Personally I used the DLGarage brackets and just hard mounted the coupe glass to the roof, nicely sealed with black silicone and you can't even tell from outside that it no longer opens, while inside it's all head room.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote