Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
onthegrind
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
onthegrind is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 left hand side axle issue?! Feels like it's binding

I recently swapped my subframe bushings and swapped out my 5 bolt VLSD with 5 bolt axles for an usdm open diff (welded) with 6 bolt axles and my left hand side axle is binding just being bolted in place. I have the axles on the correct side and I don't know what's going on but there is absolutely no play in the axle what so ever and it feels like it's binding.. What could cause this?
onthegrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
where did you get the axles from? s13 should have one axle longer than the other, and my first guess is that you have two long ones.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You should already understand how the diff works and that should be ruled out already.
The only thing the axle spins, is the hub, the hub has things connected. Are any of those things the issue? So is the bearing for the hubs good? are your brakes dragging? Etc.
Binding as in slight resistance then frees up.
Or complete seizure no freedom.

If you try to spin the axle on a welded diff with both wheel in the air it should be resistance there, if one wheel is on the ground it's impossible. Aka feels like it's binding maybe. Idk

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
onthegrind
Zilvia Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
where did you get the axles from? s13 should have one axle longer than the other, and my first guess is that you have two long ones.
I purchased axles from an auto part store thought that was the issue so then bought 2 pairs of factory used S13 6 bolt axles and all 3 axles (shorter axles) are doing the same thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
You should already understand how the diff works and that should be ruled out already.
The only thing the axle spins, is the hub, the hub has things connected. Are any of those things the issue? So is the bearing for the hubs good? are your brakes dragging? Etc.
Binding as in slight resistance then frees up.
Or complete seizure no freedom.

If you try to spin the axle on a welded diff with both wheel in the air it should be resistance there, if one wheel is on the ground it's impossible. Aka feels like it's binding maybe. Idk

The wheels spin with axles bolted up and everything but the short axle side is just binding really bad.. I do have the axles on correct sides. And one is shorter than the other. When i had my 5 bolt set up prior I didn't have an issue
Old 08-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
So you mean the length of the short axle is binding, like it's too long?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
cotbu
Post Whore!

Can you verify the length, against the other axle that didn't bind?

The axles should have an inch or so of play built into them, maybe it's just that they are new.
Grab the shaft, push it and out a few times, see if it loosens up or just drive. Stop if you hear an abnormal sound, or feeling.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
onthegrind
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
So you mean the length of the short axle is binding, like it's too long?

Yes the short axle side is binding as if the axle is to long but this axle is an inch shorter than the other side and I do not have the original 5 bolt stuff anymore. There's no inside outside movement at all. We if the shaft is bottomed out on each joint. I'll get lengths when I'm out of work