Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
djdryon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
djdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to djdryon Send a message via AIM to djdryon Send a message via MSN to djdryon Send a message via Yahoo to djdryon
ULTIMATE 89~94 240sx Climate HVAC LED Conversion [18 large pictures]

(I POSTED THIS ON 240SX FORUMS A FEW DAYS AGO AND THOUGHT YOU GUYS AT ZILVIA MIGHT WANT TO TAKE A LOOK)

I saw the other Climate LED conversion from NICO and started it. Due to the POOR light output, I decided to engineer a better LED conversion. it takes more work, time, and effort, but it is completely reversible, and doesn't require soldering (but CAN be soldered if you want). The way I did it allows complete customization in case you want to things like color fades or whatever else fits your fancy. For my car I used all red LEDs except the 7th one, which is UV (to match the bulbs in my cluster)

First, Disassemble your Climate Control Unit (directions: FAQ/Write-up: S13 HVAC/climate control and dash switch light bulb replacement.: 240SX Forum / 180SX Forum / Silvia Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub)

Tools required:

7 12v LEDs w/ decently long wires (if you buy frosted tip LEDs you can skip the sandpaper)
Wire Strippers (or Scissors ^_^)
X-ACTO Knife or razor blade
Sandpaper (any grit is ok, but I used 100)
Electrical Tape
and most importantly, your HVAC/Climate Control Unit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: if you are starting this project from scratch, skip to step 4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. If you followed the other LED conversion ( Another HVAC LED thread with pics for those interested: 240SX Convertible Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub ) you should have something similar to this:

2. if you notice, I did not solder the bulbs, but instead opted to use the existing holders (mainly because I was too lazy to go to my parents to get my iron) it was pretty easy and looked similar to stock:

3. the first thing i did was disassemble the bulb. afterwards i had this:

I was keeping the bulb, but if you soldered the bulb the leads might be too short.

4. Cut your LED wires in 3 different lengths (you'll find out why later)

5. Thread the longest wire through the bulb hole as shown, and if you are using the bulb-holder method, cut it down until you have something like below. (if soldering, skip to step 8):

6. Stick the leads through the holes at the base of the bulb holders, then wrap the leads around the head of the bulb holder like this:

7: Twist the bulb holder back into place making sure the power is on the right side (the power sides face eachother, and the grounds face towards the front and rear of the unit respectively) I wrapped the wires in tape at the head of the bulb holder just to make sure they stayed in there securely.

you can see that from the top, it looks almost completely stock:

8. Use the X-ACTO or razor to cut a section of insulation off of the wires so that you can splice into them for the other two you will be using:

afterwards, you should have something like this:

9. splice the wires in and wrap them with electrical tape, then put the bulbs into place, after which, you should have something that looks like this:

10. Now, plug the Climate Control unit into your car to make sure the lights work and you like where they are located. (and that when you push the buttons they wont fall out)

another picture showing the brightness compared to my head unit (which is pretty freaking bright, even with the dimmer on)

11. Now, follow steps 4-10 with the other bulb hole (to balance the load) the 7th wire you want to keep full length, so you can put it in the lower space to illuminate the slider display.

12. Put everything back together and you are almost finished! yaay!!! If you did the bulb method your unit should look like this:

13. Now its time to put the Climate Control back in the car and enjoy your BRIGHT LED unit. it is bright enough to not be drowned out by my deck.

you can see from the following picture that they are bright enough to be seen with the interior lights on:

feel free to post questions, comments, and YOUR CUSTOM CREATIONS!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I'm thinking of making an easy-install kit available in any color(s) let me know if any of you might be interested.
djdryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
looks good man i like the led light setup!!!

BTW im interested in the easy kit in amber but whats the cost gonna be like ???
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
94_240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
94_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Mine is so dim and looks terrible, but I'll DCC swap pretty soon. That's my winter project.
94_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
josephin510
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
josephin510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
these seem pretty cool not for me doe
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
roplusbee
Leaky Injector

roplusbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roplusbee Send a message via MSN to roplusbee Send a message via Yahoo to roplusbee
A kit sounds interesting. I am willing to entertain the idea. How much?

1989 240SX - 1JZGTE | Stance | Apexi GT | LMGT2
roplusbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
ooo, and you can get new buttons from the dealership, so the thing would look so fresh and crispy.

fun colors.

I'd get a "kit"
Old 10-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
djdryon
Leaky Injector

djdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to djdryon Send a message via AIM to djdryon Send a message via MSN to djdryon Send a message via Yahoo to djdryon
hmm. i'm thinking about 20 for the kit. that's about $6 for the bulbs, $10 for time and testing and $4 for packing materials... you'd have to use your own bulb base though, unless someone knows where I can get hookup for bulk bulb bases. I can cover shipping for the first few as long as its not too expensive to where you are.

as far as buttons are concerned, I dont believe the dealer sells them individually. if i'm wrong, I could do the full installation plus the cost of buttons, minus installation time but you have to mail me your unit and cover shipping
Old 10-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
dat411kid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dat411kid is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Hmm cool...I would be down for a kit...
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
What is your heat performance like?

Any flickering?

Why no resistor in your circuit?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
djdryon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngriff View Post
What is your heat performance like?

Any flickering?

Why no resistor in your circuit?
no flickering whatsoever. no visible heat problems. I've used the same LEDs for the rest of my dash lights and so far no problems whatsoever.

the resistors are built-in where the LED posts are soldered to the wires, so 0% current problems.

@dat411kid: email me [email protected] with information.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
240sxvaj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
240sxvaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
this is really nice
240sxvaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
Martino
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
Martino is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Just what I've been looking for!

Mine have started acting up in my 180.
They've got PMS and work when they want...
Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 AM   #13
P_856
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
P_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
nice im going to try this one day, off topic but did u make that ashtray cupholder or did u buy it?
P_856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:05 AM   #14
sidewaysonmy180
Zilvia Member

sidewaysonmy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats cool. and the colors are dope. have you tryed the led version for your dash?
sidewaysonmy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
djdryon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysonmy180 View Post
thats cool. and the colors are dope. have you tryed the led version for your dash?
yeah. i converted all the dash lights (minus the idiot lights) to LED. all my switches/buttons are red and the gauges are purple with red needles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_856
nice im going to try this one day, off topic but did u make that ashtray cupholder or did u buy it?
i bought it on ebay from carbon_os. he makes a lot of unique parts and i figured i'd try him out. quality for him is inconsistent, but if something he makes you breaks or is defective he's totally down to remake it for you free of charge. last thing i thought of getting of his was a carbon fiber arm rest... but i decided i'm just going to go to the garage to make one myself. we have a full shop and plenty of carbon, but i dont want to use up all of the team's resources making random stuff for myself haha.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #16
sidewaysonmy180
Zilvia Member

sidewaysonmy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude snap some pixs of your dash. i kinda did it. the big lights i just got some pep boys led it looks cool. not really bright kinda just changed the color of the dash to white instead of the yellowy stock bulbs.
sidewaysonmy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
thats a bad ass cup holder :P
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
djdryon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceepo View Post
thats a bad ass cup holder :P
yes it is. you have one?

here's the pic of my dash. i didnt have all the buttons in when i took this, and i've been too lazy to take another pic. colors are a tad off cause my cell doesnt have the best white balance. i guess i'll get off my lazy butt tonight and try to take a pic with my dSLR

Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
djdryon
Leaky Injector

more pictures with all the buttons in.

this is during the day.

and this is during the night.

im extremely pleased with how everything looks.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
cjmirabal1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
cjmirabal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sorry to revive old thread!

just wondering if u were still making kits???
cjmirabal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
djdryon
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmirabal1 View Post
sorry to revive old thread!

just wondering if u were still making kits???

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I'm still making kits, but I'll be in Japan until the first week off March. If you're willing to wait, I can hook you up with free shipping, provided its not epically far. I'm going to start making kits for the digital climate as well, as I plan to swap.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
You should include a writeup for the DCC

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
Just a question, I think I didn't miss it : you put the bulbs 'into' the buttons that's right?

THX.
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #24
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
You should include a writeup for the DCC
+1. make a kit for DCC. i'm lazy, i'll buy it.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote