Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
scribbles6
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (5)
scribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
KA Tranny will not go in gear when motor is on.

My transmission will not go in gear when the motor is running...

I did a lot of searching on other forums, google, asked people, checked my fsm (there isn't much trouble shooting there) and i can't find this very same problem happening to anyone.. lot's of similar ones but not quite the same.

-When the motor is off, i can put my shifter in any gear with no problem.
When i start the motor, it's idleing fine, but when i press down the clutch and try to put it in gear in wont go at all, on any of them or even reverse.

-There is a new OEM replacement clutch and a resurfaced flywheel in there

-My throwout bearing is also new since it came with the clutch, i double checked the pictures to make sure i put it on the right way and I am sure it is.

-The transmission had no speed sensor on it so i looked around and asked a few people and they said the single cam transmission speed sensor is the same or it should work fine at least, so i pit that one in. (don't know if this could cause the problem if it doesn't work)

-The fork was not bent or anything

-Yesterday we bled the slave cylinder because the clutch pedal was feeling spongy.. (like there was air bubbles in the lines) which was odd since i never undid the lines while doing the motor swap.

-The shifter is in the right way so that can't be it, i flipped it around and the other way it just gets to close to the stereo so it can't be it.

-Today i changed the slave cylinder hoping that was it since it was most of the feedback i got from everyone, pull the old one out, slapped the new one in, bled the lines.... fail... still not going in gear.

The slave cylinder seems to be pushing the fork far enough to actually engage the clutch but no cigar

Now i don't think it's a clutch spring gone out since it's a new clutch...

I can't think of anything else, it's not even grinding when I try to put it in gear, the pedal feels normal now, when i try to start it in gear it wants to go forward but yeah...

Any ideas? help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to you guys.
scribbles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
the first thing i think of is maybe the fork popped off of its mount and isn't pushing against the bearing.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
spiderlone
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
spiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nicespiderlone is just really nice
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
ok i got #2 -- make shure the fork is in one piece.. -- The other thing could be wrong pressure plate ...
just put a different one, my friend had the same problem with his and it took for ever to figure out.. but yeah see what happens.. good luck.............

*-- SPIDER --*
spiderlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
scribbles6

scribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond repute
^ that's also what i got in another forum about the pressure plate. i'll double check the fork, i'll just pop off the slave and see if i can move the fork around a lot or at all.

someone else was saying that i need to either bleed the dampener or just remove it and run the straight line to the slave. i'll try that too.

i hope my fork is in one piece.. :unsure: and if neither of those work, i'll try the pressure plate, i just really don't want to pop the tranny off lol such a pain in the ass.

thanks. keep it coming, i wanna get as many opinions as possible, i'm still a newb when it comes to a lot of troubleshooting.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
tanks13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
tanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of lighttanks13 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tanks13 Send a message via Yahoo to tanks13
mabey your teanny is just fucked that what happend with mine but i not to sure beside blowing out a tranny ive never had tranny problems
Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
grnappletree14
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
grnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
took the tranny apart..... i removed the bell housings...... found out that the one of the 3 forks got misplace wrong from impact......... so now i got to re-align them properly.... your fork prob got misplaced too....

Last edited by grnappletree14; 06-01-2009 at 12:08 AM..
grnappletree14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
s14_mike
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
s14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
the only thing that you seemed to have touched is the actual clutch assembly. You've obviously changed it to a new one, usually if everything was fine before then it should be fine when you put it back together (i.e transmission, slave, etc...), you should check your clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing, make sure that they are the right parts first and double check the installation of these items.
s14_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
RACETUNE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
RACETUNE is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RACETUNE
*S14 mike is right check if the clutch kit is right.. sometime everything right but they give you the wrong throwout bearing.

*compare throwout bearings with the old one, see is they are the same height. that is very common.

Good luck!!!

-Frank
Old 05-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Forge_55b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Forge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enoughForge_55b will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
maybe a dumb question but what fluid is in the tranny?
Forge_55b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
s14_mike
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
s14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enoughs14_mike will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
our tranny's use heavy weight gear oil if you search you can find the answer easily
s14_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnappletree14 View Post
i crasher my car and now i fixed but now my tranny if fucked only goes into 5th and reverse its wried.... pulled the tranny out fork is good i dunno if the impact fucked it up or what happen now i need a new one unless i can fix it
i have no idea what the fuck you just said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge_55b View Post
maybe a dumb question but what fluid is in the tranny?
not having fluid in the tranny would not cause the symptoms he described.
your trans would go into gear, it would just blow up after a few miles of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_mike View Post
our tranny's use heavy weight gear oil if you search you can find the answer easily
/\/\/\ winner

Quote:
Old 05-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
garbury
Leaky Injector

garbury is making a name for him/her selfgarbury is making a name for him/her self
I just remedied the exact same problem in my car last week. The pressure plate (RPS max, btw) had broken a little finger inside the cover. You definately have to look to see it, but it caused the issue for me, found the peice that broke in the bellhousing. If your hydraulic arm is pushing about an inch or so you should be getting enough travel, so its either the fork isn't transfering the hydraulic force to the throw out bearing or your pressure plate has broken fingers.
garbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
ocska04
Zilvia Member

ocska04 has made poor choicesocska04 has made poor choicesocska04 has made poor choicesocska04 has made poor choicesocska04 has made poor choicesocska04 has made poor choices
bro i had the same exact problem with my s14 and i couldn't figure it out so i ended up taking my car to clockwork performance.... They figured it out in like 30 minutes and it was the dampener was shot so they removed it and ran the clutch line straight without the dampener and problem fixed never had trouble after that
ocska04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
scribbles6

Sweet thanks for all the input. I changed out the slave cylinder and that didn't do it. I just ordered a clutch line so I can remove the damper box. If that doesn't fix the problem then I'll pull the tranny and check everything else in there so I can figure it out. If I still can't find it I will probably put on my single cam tranny on there since I know that was working fine when I pulled it off.

Thanks for all replies, I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

just fyi you don't need an aftermarket clutch line to remove the dampener.
you just have to VERY CAREFULLY bend the hard line so it points the right direction.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
theracingbean

theracingbean is an unknown quantity at this point
This happened to me when I threw a new clutch in my girlfriends s13, i just needed to adjust the clutch pedal. Make sure your slave cylinder is engaging when you press the clutch pedal, if not try adjusting the pedal (there is a nut on the clutch pedal assembly that adjusts the length of pushrod that goes through the firewall into the master cylinder)
theracingbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
scribbles6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
just fyi you don't need an aftermarket clutch line to remove the dampener.
you just have to VERY CAREFULLY bend the hard line so it points the right direction.
Thanks, yeah I know. I did look that up, just figured I don't wanna end up messing that up and have my car down even longer LOL knowing my luck I probably would kink the hard line haha.

And as for the question of what fluid I put in there. I put mobil 1 full synthetic 75w90 gear oil.

I'll take one more check at the pedal since I already tried adjusting it but yeah. Hopefully the damper thingy works
Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
240srhatch
Zilvia Junkie

240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold
Did you check to see that the clutch disk moves freely on the input shaft before you put the trans on? hapened to me before, they sent me the wrong disk and i had the same problem you are having.
240srhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
ka24et
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
ka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud ofka24et has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/195274...ter-slave.html