Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: Cracked Dash
My S13 dash is UNCRACKED 407 30.15%
My S13 dash is CRACKED 455 33.70%
My S14 dash is UNCRACKED 275 20.37%
MY S14 dash is CRACKED 213 15.78%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #31
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

Without removing the leather, its impossible to tell if it has formed any cracks. However, I did notice a small uneven surface that could be a crack.

Being a picky bastard, I may remove the leather in order to remove the OEM padded vinyl. This is the only regret I have so far because the padded vinyl is the problem. Removing it not only eliminates any chances of cracking but also gives a bit more clearance for the vents - which has also proven to be problematic with fitment.
So my best bet is to repair my dash then have it reupholstered? And did the vents fit fine after you got it reupholstered with the oem vinyl?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #32
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
bought s13 with cracked dash, actually multiple cracks lol

bought s14 with cracked dash, right behind the cluster shroud
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #33
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm actually glad this is a poll.
I've always wondered if I'd just gotten good luck or if uncracked dashes were just hard to come by.
Out of 9 240s - 2 s14s and the rest s13s I've had about three cracked dashes total.
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #34
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
2 s14s. had the 95 since 04, always used armor all or something similar. no cracks. second car, 96, came with cracks all over.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #35
jakewolf

jakewolf is an unknown quantity at this point
While my dash is uncracked... the previous owner swapped it in to replace the cracked one that was in there haha.
jakewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #36
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
My 1993 s13 dash is uncracked. (1 tiny spiderweb on the passengers side, about the side of a pencil eraser). Car was garaged it's whole life, and I use a sunshade every single time I park the car.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 AM   #37
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Have one car with a cracked dash and one without. The one without is obviously in the garage and hardly gets driven.

Reupholstering these things in quality leather would be the way to go imo.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #38
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mines not cracked (s14), but I'll be wrapping it in black ultrasuede.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #39
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My 91 s13s dash isnt cracked but I do live in Washington and in the 5 years that I've had it it's been garage kept..
Old 06-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #40
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I felt bad cutting up my s13 uncracked dash for my cage and gauges..... but it had to be done...
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #41
rundown240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
rundown240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
240sx (s13) small 4" hairline crack above the cluster. Been using armor all on it every 2 weeks for the past 2 years and it hasn't grown or split wider apart. I use a sunshade and try to always park under some shade that's usually near the back of any parking lot.

180sx (s13) uncracked. I pamper this one since it'll be hard to find another RHD dash, lol.

Conditions: Arizona weather (dry and hot). It's been around 105 F recently.

Also got 2 spare 240sx (s13) uncracked dashes in garage that I wipe down as well to keep them from cracking. Got them to replace previous dash if crack got worse. Oh well, spares for life! lol
rundown240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #42
ta2maki

ta2maki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Aersospace 303 UV protectant from Ace Hardware is good shit... USE IT.
Only helps, not a cure. I've been using 303 over 9 years on my 91. Got a small crack over the gauge cluster by the defrost vents last summer. Not garage parked, but have always used a sunshade.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #43
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
The interesting thing is, I took my non-cracked dash and had it upholstered with genuine stitched leather. It was a very big project.

So far, the only exposure it got was sitting in the garage - protected from the elements, but not from the temperature swings.

Without removing the leather, its impossible to tell if it has formed any cracks. However, I did notice a small uneven surface that could be a crack.

Being a picky bastard, I may remove the leather in order to remove the OEM padded vinyl. This is the only regret I have so far because the padded vinyl is the problem. Removing it not only eliminates any chances of cracking but also gives a bit more clearance for the vents - which has also proven to be problematic with fitment.

Damn these project cars...
I have always planned to get my dash wrapped in leather to match that on the Nardi wheels. Was it pricey to have yours done?
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #44
blkvrtswp
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
blkvrtswp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Never had any problems with previous s13's until my 93 vert, which spent it's entire life prior to me in the sun at an apartment complex. I garage kept it from 2006-2008 but since then it has been outside in the summer with no cover, but I used plenty of UV protection.

The stress from installing a JDM Digital Climate Control may have been the last straw - it developed a crack over the cluster approx 10 years from manufacture.
blkvrtswp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #45
dirtiee

dirtiee is an unknown quantity at this point
Going to start making dashes from fiberglass soon.
dirtiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #46
_kouki_monster_
Leaky Injector

_kouki_monster_ is an unknown quantity at this point
It sucks when i bought my s13 the dash was perfect no cracks. Then about 6 months after i bought it i went to get in it and there was a foot long crack above the cluster. just showed up all of a sudden!
_kouki_monster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #47
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtiee View Post
Going to start making dashes from fiberglass soon.
No offense, but thats all bullshit.. carbon fiberglass, etc.. its all junk. Besides not being OEM, I have a gripe for things that are destined to fade. Find me a vendor who will guarantee that their wet carbon wont yellow.

I dunno.. I just want OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERDdabuilder View Post
So my best bet is to repair my dash then have it reupholstered? And did the vents fit fine after you got it reupholstered with the oem vinyl?
No, they didnt. This is why I may pull the leather in order to remove the OEM padded vinyl. My vendor did not do this and its been an issue. But since my restoration project is going on 10 years.. you know how it goes..... I have no problem waiting and thinking of solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
I have always planned to get my dash wrapped in leather to match that on the Nardi wheels. Was it pricey to have yours done?
Absolutely pricey, and difficult. You're better off having a vendor do it in vinyl. I'm just a stickler for leather.. step into the car and the smell is RICH

Other problem is, trying to continue the design into the door panels and more importantly, the center console. I am still working on that.

How about people start posting up the names of shops that specialize in dash repair or reupholstery? My guy, unfortunately, *disappeared*. I'll add that he disappeared with my door panels and money, but thats water under the bridge now.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #48
DreamN
Post Whore!

DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
I've heard good things about Batz Auto-Upholstery. There's apparently some Hispanic guy in Burbank that does quality work for stupid cheap.

This guy: http://www.yelp.com/biz/e-and-c-jr-a...lstery-burbank

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #49
zephyrclayton

zephyrclayton is an unknown quantity at this point
I think this is a late 80's/early 90's thing, or at least a carry over of type of materials used. My 2 s13's, ae86, 82 gmc, etc all have had dash cracks. I live in New Mexico, so lots of sun and very little moisture. I'm going to resurface and flock my dash just because I'm sick of seeing all the cracks. That robot racing dash is sweet but at $900 I'm going to just have to wait. I came from the aircraft industry and I think if someone just made a tight fitting carbon fiber/kevlar overlay it would sell well.
zephyrclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #50
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
I've heard good things about Batz Auto-Upholstery. There's apparently some Hispanic guy in Burbank that does quality work for stupid cheap.

This guy: http://www.yelp.com/biz/e-and-c-jr-a...lstery-burbank
I was there about a month ago. Owner is a nice guy, but the shop does not appear to be professional. It was very unorganized. At the bare minimum, when I walk into a shop I want to see organization. I dont want my parts which I spent lots of time and money trying to locate and purchase, sit around some random area with the possibility of getting lost. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this type of shit.

So far, I've been driving around to the various upholstery shops in socal getting quotes and information. If I like the owner, and if the shop looks clean and organized, and if their price is right - they have my business.

FYI, I recently reupholstered a pair of seats and I will gladly plug the company that sold me the materials: www.interior-innovations.com

I ordered replacement leather seat covers from them. Price, lead-time and quality all appear to be good bang for the buck. A few imperfections but nothing I cant deal with given the price. After placing the other via email, a few weeks go by and I received a package from Pakistan's upholstery district (Karachi).

Be warned, if you do the upholstery work yourself you will need a *lot* of patience. Its very frustrating work but in the end, very rewarding.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #51
DreamN
Post Whore!

350Z seats by chance?

I'm just seeking basic reupholster of my rear 'vert seats in leather to match my z34 seats. I may just give the Burbank dude a go at the.

Batz will get my business for my convertible top when the time comes.

From what I gather you would have had the same attitude years ago just by what you expect from others. Nothing wrong with that. It is your money after all. Hell, Mel over at Nissan once told me you've spent a ridiculous amount of money simply on replacement nuts and bolts for your S13.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #52
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
S14 is uncracked, 8yrs of daily driving and now stored in the garage.

Friend gave me a 89 s13 with uncracked dash, daily driven for 4 yrs.
Maiku240sxS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #53
yardy
Leaky Injector

yardy is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw a 8" crack on my S13 dash over the cluster in 2012, deployed the end of the year and came back the following summer and it was all the way to the winsdield plus on the passenger side from sitting in the sun all year. I pulled it out and am now building a custom dash which I will be covering with faux suede.
yardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #54
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I bought my S13 two years ago with a flawless dash, took like a year for it to finally crack, now it has 3 small cracks and cut for a cage lol. Might try wrapping it at some point.
xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #55
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Wow, I didnt know that S14 dashes crack too.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #56
Cheesy Doriftos
Zilvia Member

Cheesy Doriftos is an unknown quantity at this point
had a small crack when i first bought my s14 but then after being in texas sun/heat i had another crack, even with a sunshade and wiping it down every week in meguiars.

seeing a lot of guys in japan just say fuggit and throw on dashmats now. i might do the same.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #57
pulsar

pulsar is an unknown quantity at this point
A company named coverlay offers a full ABS Plastic replacement that states it's guaranteed not to fade or ever crack. It's a great replacement for $150.00. It's not a full OEM replacement, but the fitment in the user photo's looks great.

http://www.carid.com/1989-nissan-240...FUg2aQodEioAmw

Here is a detailed write up on how to install it and how it looks fitted
http://forums.nicoclub.com/s13-crack...o-t243168.html

pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #58
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
My dash isn't cracked, it was outside before I owned the car and now it's not in the sun and if it is windshield sun blocker is used. I use mothers products for the dash. My other S14 was the same I always covered it and treated it. Then sold it to my friend who didn't do any of that and sure enough it cracked on him lol.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #59
eastcoaststeeze
Zilvia Member

eastcoaststeeze is an unknown quantity at this point
luckily grabbed a s14 from the original owner with an uncracked dash and still in perfect condition
eastcoaststeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #60
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
A company named coverlay offers a full ABS Plastic replacement that states it's guaranteed not to fade or ever crack.
Those types of covers have been around for ages. I remember seeing stuff like that on the older Datsun Z cars and what not. I'm not a big fan of it. Its just a hard-shell cover that does exactly that, cover the ratty cracked dash.

I'de like to hear more about people or shops that specialize in refurbishing the OEM dash, not cheap replacements and patch-fixes... or worse, flock. I think thats just cheap shit. The way I see it, if I'm going to pull a dash out - I want it done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
350Z seats by chance?
I'm just seeking basic reupholster of my rear 'vert seats in leather to match my z34 seats. I may just give the Burbank dude a go at the. Batz will get my business for my convertible top when the time comes.

From what I gather you would have had the same attitude years ago just by what you expect from others. Nothing wrong with that. It is your money after all. Hell, Mel over at Nissan once told me you've spent a ridiculous amount of money simply on replacement nuts and bolts for your S13.
You cant really spend ridiculous money on nuts and bolts, more on things like glass, weatherstripping, bushings, etc... things that are here today and no longer available tomorrow.

If you need a top for your vert, I would check with RockAuto. I purchased a Robbins black stay-fast fabric top with glass window for my wife's Miata. Price was reasonable and then I did the install myself. Installing a top is tricky, but its not too bad. I had a harder time reupholstering my seats. And no, not Z34 seats - MKIV Supra seats.