Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quest Alternator not fitting??

Little back story, picked up my 92 180sx 7-8 months ago, alternator went out after owning it for 2-3 months. Decided to upgrade to the quest alternator with the CodyAce bracket. When I first put it in, I remember it being hard to get the belt on, somehow though we got everything on lined up and was good to go.

Couple of days ago, I went to a Fuji drift event and everything was good but on the way back the bolt that holds the alternator for the tension bracket broke leaving me stranded and having to get towed back to base.

Next day I got a replacement bolt and necessary washers, then attempted to reinstall but again its extremely tight. I'm guessing the tension is what snapped the original bolt in the first place. Then a friend noticed that I had a 5pk935 belt and mentioned it may be too short. After researching, I found that the belt was indeed smaller than what everyone else was saying which should be a 5pk940.

No one else has had these problems with their CodyAce bracket so I don't believe that is the problem. Just wanted to know if this all sounds correct.

Ordered a replacement belt that should be in today but not sure what size it will be.

What are your thoughts on this??
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Run the belt that fits without causing excessive tension. You can upgrade to a high strength bolt as well to prevent it from shearing off.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Wait so you were running a 935 belt but should have been running a 940, and your question is "why is my too-small belt too small?"

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Run the belt that fits without causing excessive tension. You can upgrade to a high strength bolt as well to prevent it from shearing off.
Bolt supplied by CodyAce was 10.9 grade. Couldn't find anywhere locally that had 10.9 grade, doesn't help that I can't speak Japanese yet. Got a couple replacement bolts but unsure of their strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Wait so you were running a 935 belt but should have been running a 940, and your question is "why is my too-small belt too small?"
Yea sorta... This car was fully stock when I bought it so I don't understand why there would be a shorter belt in the first place. Didn't mention this but I'm in Japan, so my sr wasn't swapped in or anything. Just not seeing how 5mm would make such a big difference, if that is indeed the stock size. Was thinking I should order a 945 belt.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Off topic but I think the funny part is you're in Japan and can't find a part that will work properly for your SR lol.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
Off topic but I think the funny part is you're in Japan and can't find a part that will work properly for your SR lol.
Doesn't help when there is a language barrier.

The one I ordered last night that came in is also a 935, so I guess that is the oem size. Going to return and step up to a 945, hopefully it will be in tonight.

Can anyone do me a favor and look at their stock belt size and let me know?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:56 PM   #7
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I have the Cody Ace bracket with a '99 quest alternator and the belt that came with my kit is the 5PK935, and I have never had a fitment issue. When I loosen it up it easily slides off. Post a pic of your setup if you don't mind.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
nmiqiobe

Trader Rating: (0)
nmiqiobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can upgrade to a high strength bolt as well to prevent it from shearing off.
nmiqiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I do not have a kit from Cody.

I do have a quest alt on my s13 SR20DET

I did have to buy a (slightly) longer belt to make it all work when swapping alternators.

Sorry no exact answer..simply my experience.

EDIT: I have a 380 belt. 38 inches = 965mm. I made my own turnbuckle/tensioner, no idea if its the same size as codys. clearly mine is much longer than yours (hehe)

Simple solution seems to be a belt that is another 5-10mm. therefore reduced tension
Old 08-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
I have the Cody Ace bracket with a '99 quest alternator and the belt that came with my kit is the 5PK935, and I have never had a fitment issue. When I loosen it up it easily slides off. Post a pic of your setup if you don't mind.
Not sure what year alternator I have but think its '99 aswell. Ended up getting a 5pk945, still had to use a little elbow grease to get it on but once I did it was loose, then adjusted the tension accordingly.

Nothing special about my setup. Just a stock redtop sr in a 180sx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiqiobe View Post
You can upgrade to a high strength bolt as well to prevent it from shearing off.

Bolt that came with the kit was 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
I do not have a kit from Cody.

I do have a quest alt on my s13 SR20DET

I did have to buy a (slightly) longer belt to make it all work when swapping alternators.

Sorry no exact answer..simply my experience.

EDIT: I have a 380 belt. 38 inches = 965mm. I made my own turnbuckle/tensioner, no idea if its the same size as codys. clearly mine is much longer than yours (hehe)

Simple solution seems to be a belt that is another 5-10mm. therefore reduced tension
5pk945 worked for me
Old 08-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Weird. 99 alternator shouldn't make a difference since I originally had a junkyard 96 alternator. I have a notchtop SR, maybe that makes a difference? In any case, glad you got it figured out.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Odd that the bolt broke, they are all grade 8 equivelent in the kits, and I can't say I've had an issue.

The new version 2 kits I don't supply a belt with as they are designed to be all encompassing belt wise, so it will work with whatever belt is on the car, assuming you utilize the quest pulley.

If you use an aftermarket pulley, you will need to go belt shopping.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Odd that the bolt broke, they are all grade 8 equivelent in the kits, and I can't say I've had an issue.

The new version 2 kits I don't supply a belt with as they are designed to be all encompassing belt wise, so it will work with whatever belt is on the car, assuming you utilize the quest pulley.

If you use an aftermarket pulley, you will need to go belt shopping.
Yea think the stress from the belt being too tight and me beating on my car for 2-3 hours snapped the bolt.

Yea used the pulley that came on the alternator. Its a 2001 quest alternator also, not sure it matters or not. Haven't had any problems since getting a bigger belt and replacing the bolt. Only concern I have is that the replacement bolt got here isn't strong.