Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
SR20 Z33 6 Speed swap release bearing issues. TECH ARTICLE.

Hey guys,

so there is not a whole lot of documentation on this swap. I ran into an issue that has very little feedback and support among a swap growing in popularity. I am doing an S14 SR20 swap and at the same time i am installing a Z33 transmission to avoid having any drivetrain problems in the future. (stock SR20 transmissions suck balls let's be real here)

anyway, I haven't made an actual valuable contribution of data to the Automotive industry in almost 8 years now. I've been learning and keeping things to myself but this i feel is important and needs to be known. so let's get to it!

I did my Swap using the Maverick Motorsports adapter plate that is 3/8" thick (9.188mm). being that i was using an ATS clutch that has the big center clutch spline. Like pictured bellow.

instructed by George I had my bell housing milled 1/2" and put the release bearing sleeve & release bearing recommended for the clutch by ATS. I put everything together and ran into this little problem where the clutch fork would travel a good 60-70% of the way on the window before the release bearing (TOB) would touch the pressure plate. I'm almost sure that the slave cylinder was probably at least 80% maxed out so i doubted I would have enough room to have full clutch release.

here is a small breakdown of what i had to work with.

pictured from left to right.

Z33 release bearing sleeve & release bearing. (18MM)
Z32 release bearing sleeve & release bearing. (22MM)
S14 release bearing sleeve & release bearing. (24MM)
D40 release bearing sleeve & ATS / OSGiken / ORC release bearing. (32MM)

as you can see the S14 & Z33 release bearing have almost identical height. (probably the reason Nissan superseded them both to the same part number)
where the Z32 and ATS release bearing have almost the same height. (ATS / OSgiken release bearing has a much MUCH smaller diameter though). DO NOT USE Z32 / Z33 / SR release bearing on your twin disk.

Here is the S14 release bearing sleeve next to the D40 frontier sleeve

here is the Z33 vs the Z32 sleeve

and finally Z32, S14 & D40

part number for the D40 sleeve

I re assembled my entire clutch assembly and transmission using the Z33 Pivot ball (04+), Z33 Cast Steel Clutch fork. Z33 release bearing retainer spring, D40 Frontier Release bearing sleeve & ATS Release bearing.

this was my winning combination [URL=http://s5.photobucket.com/user/FairladyZ32/media/39F0B856-5ACD-4EAC-AFCB-EF5DBBC00B9F.jpg.html][/

this combination leaves me with all the room for the OE Z33 slave cylinder to travel like factory. leaving me with all the room to adjust the hydraulics to give the fork the 13.5mm of travel required to fully disengage the clutch while being able to adjust the clutch pedal height to each drivers liking. now remember this is using an ATS clutch, i know that ATS, OSGiken, ORC, & Orgura & Clutch masters share very similar twin disk heights. However depending on the actual twin disk that you use you might have to machine more from your bell housing. to have your transmission splines line up with your twin & triple plates. if you machine more from your transmission i would start off using the 24mm sleeve and measure how much free travel you have. on the clutch fork before touching the pressure plate (this also applies to single disk clutches) the clutch fork ratio from what i measured it was around a 2:1 ratio. (for every 2mm traveled by the fork little under 1mm was traveled by the release bearing)

I shaved 1/2" off mine (12.25mm) so i used a 32mm sleeve. so say for example someone using the OSGiken Twin disk that shaved off 3/4" off their bell housing. (18.38mm) would run a 26mm sleeve. to have the same travel as I do. [12.25mm - 18.28mm = -6.13mm] [32mm - 6.13 = 25.87mm] this is because you have pushed the entire transmission 6.13mm closer to the flywheel compared to my setup and based on the assumption that the pressure plate heights are the same the 26mm is the closest to our actual number.

The other way to do it is say you have a single disk with the proper release bearing you on a factory S13/S14 sleeve (24mm). You install your slave and your slave is at the furthest back position plus 4mm. you are able to move the fork by hand an additional 8mm before touching the pressure plate. Using the 2:1 ratio calculation you would need an additional 4mm release bearing height to have proper slave cylinder travel. (slave cylinder needs to have free play between itself and the fork before touching the pressure plate) so you SHOULD be able to install a 28mm sleeve and have perfect travel.

now another option is if you need to add less than 6mm of release bearing height to your clutch throw out bearing clutch masters sells a release bearing spacer kit. (a variety of different thickness washers to that go on the sleeve before you press on the bearing) that way you can get a sleeve slightly thinner than what you need and add washers to make your release bearing the perfect height.

here is also a list of Nissan Clutch release bearing sleeves with heights and part numbers

30501-A3800 12mm
30501-N1601 14mm
30501-U0200 16mm
30501-S0200 18mm Z33
30501-B6000 20mm Datsun 910 (DISCONTINUED NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
30501-S0160 22mm Z32
30501-K0404 24mm S13/S14
30501-K0510 26mm D21 Frontier / Xterra
30501-N1600 28mm D22 Frontier / Z31 Turbo (07/83 - 09/86)
30501-N8400 30mm S110 Z20E (DISCONTINUED NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
30501-U8584 32mm D40

also bonus, here is the Nissan Part number for the release bearing used on OSGiken, ATS & ORC Clutch kits. as far as i know, only the Genuine Nissan bearing has the exact dimensions as the bearing sold by ATS / OSGiken / ORC.

Nissan Release Bearing 30502-14601

please feel free to contribute to this, I made this solely on my knowledge and experience doing my swap with an ATS clutch & a Maverick Motorsports adapter. I cannot speak for a Collins or any other kit. however with the method and information i have provided i have no doubt that by doing some simple math this can be applied to any kit out there in the market. I will do my best to answer any questions. if anyone has anymore information please feel free to share.

Review Thread

Last edited by bardabe; 06-14-2016 at 02:31 PM..
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I wonder if the Mazworx kit will be a hassle free conversion.

Good info on the Maverick kit though, I wonder how many people have this kit.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:42 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
Hey guys,

so there is not a whole lot of documentation on this swap. I ran into an issue that has very little feedback and support among a swap growing in popularity. I am doing an S14 SR20 swap and at the same time i am installing a Z33 transmission to avoid having any drivetrain problems in the future. (stock SR20 transmissions suck balls let's be real here)
awesome thread Juan! i'm going to be going through all of this soon. maybe you can sell me all of the ones that you didn't use? one of them might work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
I wonder if the Mazworx kit will be a hassle free conversion.

i have the maverick kit. the mazworx bellhousing replacement kit is designed to be a complete solution with no modification or extra parts required. hopefully it pans out this way.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:53 AM   #4
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
awesome thread Juan! i'm going to be going through all of this soon. maybe you can sell me all of the ones that you didn't use? one of them might work for me.

i have the maverick kit. the mazworx bellhousing replacement kit is designed to be a complete solution with no modification or extra parts required. hopefully it pans out this way.
I only have the Z33 Z32 and S14 one. The D40 I got from work, I highly doubt you'll need to go shorter than stock. what clutch kit are you using? Let me know how far off you are when using your stock one (S chassis one 24mm) and we can figure out which one you need if the 24mm doesn't work. Then you Can call the guys over at Nissanraceshop.com and they can ship you one. Iirc they are cheap under $25 for sure. If you end up needing one that I already have then no problem I can send it your way or we can meet up I don't mind giving you a hand.

Review Thread
Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
I'm using an os giken twin. I'll mock it up this week and see where I sit. Thanks!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
twatery

Trader Rating: (0)
twatery is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
twatery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
SidewayzAsFck
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
SidewayzAsFck can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Any info on running OS giken twin with z33 trans on the sr? Thinking about going this route but I can't find any info of this specific combo
SidewayzAsFck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (62)
Rb26kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 62 reviews
Good info here this is going to help me a lot

Running a ATS triple disc clkutch on a KA with z33 trans
Rb26kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wow don't know how I never saw this thread, just as an update and clarification for future readers our kit (Mazworx) uses all S13/S14 SR20det components and works with multi disk clutches something that adapter plates can be a bit iffy on.

Basically our kit replaces the Z33 bellhousing with a full SR bellhousing, allowing you to use the readily available off the shelf SR components.

We currently have a kit like this for the SR, and are testing our FRS/BRZ kit. Next we'd like to develop a kit for 2JZ and the S2000.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Wow don't know how I never saw this thread, just as an update and clarification for future readers our kit (Mazworx) uses all S13/S14 SR20det components and works with multi disk clutches something that adapter plates can be a bit iffy on.

Basically our kit replaces the Z33 bellhousing with a full SR bellhousing, allowing you to use the readily available off the shelf SR components.

We currently have a kit like this for the SR, and are testing our FRS/BRZ kit. Next we'd like to develop a kit for 2JZ and the S2000.
Cool

But no RB/KA?
Old 05-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb26kouki View Post
Cool

But no RB/KA?
Possibly in the future, we're going based on consumer demand and test chassis availability.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

I've seen lot of folks asking for RB I'm surprised it's not on being worked on yet

I myself would be on the pre order list just like I was on the SR
Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I've seen lot of folks asking for RB I'm surprised it's not on being worked on yet

I myself would be on the pre order list just like I was on the SR
Something that Mark and I just discussed was the overlap between the bellhousing pattern between the RB and the KA. Do you think the community would be interested in a universal RB/KA bellhousing? Using the bellhousing on the RB would involve custom mounts and a custom driveshaft due to the wide variety of swap chassis, however; the KA application could use all of our existing SR hardware, mounts, and driveshaft and would be a full bolt in kit.

Last edited by hanzbrady; 05-25-2017 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Removed out of place sales talk, apologies to the thread offer and anyone else this may have rubbed the wrong way.
hanzbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
Rb26kouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Something that Mark and I just discussed was the overlap between the bellhousing pattern between the RB and the KA. Do you think the community would be interested in a universal RB/KA bellhousing? Using the bellhousing on the RB would involve custom mounts and a custom driveshaft due to the wide variety of swap chassis, however; the KA application could use all of our existing SR hardware, mounts, and driveshaft and would be a full bolt in kit.

To get the bellhousing in production I'd need to fill 20 pre-orders at $900 per piece, let me know guys!
Yup, and it would be wise to make it universal for both engines similar to what jwt did. I'm sure there is still a market for the KA, especially on KA-T.org

I'll see if I can get a pre order started for KA/RB application

I'll let you know how it goes
Old 05-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Yup, and it would be wise to make it universal for both engines similar to what jwt did. I'm sure there is still a market for the KA, especially on KA-T.org

I'll see if I can get a pre order started for KA/RB application

I'll let you know how it goes
Awesome if there's some buzz for it I'll make the pre order thread here on Zilvia.

Last edited by hanzbrady; 05-25-2017 at 02:47 PM..
hanzbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:

God Dammit Hanz,

i appreciate the clarification; you're one hell of a sales person / marketing agent. HOWEVER can you please stop turning my tech thread that is meant to help people that are using ADAPTER PLATES into a sales thread? I would appreciate your courtesy; can you please start your own thread?

-Juan

Review Thread
Old 05-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #17
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
God Dammit Hanz,

i appreciate the clarification; you're one hell of a sales person / marketing agent. HOWEVER can you please stop turning my tech thread that is meant to help people that are using ADAPTER PLATES into a sales thread? I would appreciate your courtesy so can you please start your own thread?

-Juan
Hey Juan sorry about that, I simply went based off the title of the thread and saw that our kit was mentioned as well. As a consumer of the parts that I and many others on this forum produce I just want to spread the available knowledge. Again I'm sorry I didn't mean to step on any toes here.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Hey Juan sorry about that, I simply went based off the title of the thread and saw that our kit was mentioned as well. As a consumer of the parts that I and many others on this forum produce I just want to spread the available knowledge. Again I'm sorry I didn't mean to step on any toes here.
I appreciate you clarifying that, and I'm perfectly fine with that it's always encouraged to have good customer support. Just please don't derail this bitch into talking about future mazworx bell-housings that have nothing to do with the issue this thread is supposed to help with.

-Juan

Review Thread
Old 08-28-2021, 09:45 PM   #19
2ndsilverevo

Trader Rating: (0)
2ndsilverevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks OP for putting up the dimensions and part numbers! I am doing a vk56 to cd00 with the collins adapter plate and needed a lot longer release sleeve. If it wasn't for you I would still be lost. I used a d40 sleeve and still needed to put a washer under the pivot ball.
2ndsilverevo is offline   Reply With Quote