Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Edvo34

Trader Rating: (0)
Edvo34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Out of ideas... Alt not charging...

I hardly ever post because I usually find my answer while searching... But this time really stumped.. Any help is appreciated.
My s13 w/ s13 Sr20 is not charging properly
-no dash lights turn on
-Charging at 9.5 volts.
-Car turns on,idles, and drives fine

With this I'm really stumped, I've
-rebuilt the alternator and tested good twice
-Check all fuses and 75amp alt fuse
-replaced the battery
-replaced the gauge cluster

Things to consider.. I've shortened the engine bay harness and relocated it into the cabin.also the chassis is completely stripped because drift car...

It's been such a headache, I've been comtemplating buying a completely stock engine bay and main harness again to start over...

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.. Thanks.
Edvo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've had the same problem it ended up being a red wire was shorting under my dash on the passenger side although I had RB and I had tucked my relay boxes under my dash. Hope you find the problem
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Have you tested known good alternator in its place to see if the problem is still happening?
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Was it working fine before or did you just do the swap? You're using an SR pulley not a ka one right?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
The alt is probably not getting the 12v signal it would normally get from the battery check bulb in the gauge cluster.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Veltall
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Veltall is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i have a jz and was having a similar problem.i would check to see if it has an exciter wire and if it does, check to see if its getting a signal to it. my alternator wouldn't charge unless it was getting a 12v signal to start charging
Veltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I would go over the FSM on the charging system. EL section, page 14. If problems started happening after you shortened your wire harness, chances are you didn't wire something correctly.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Trinidrift3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Trinidrift3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have had a similar issue. The power that connects to the alternator can become fried after a while. Its the wire that held on by a 12mm nut on the back of the alternator. i was getting 11v while running. the end of the wire was fried. i cut it back 2 inches because i had slack so it could still reach after cutting the end. put the eyelet (can't think or proper name right now) back on the new nonfried wire and crimped it. voltage went back to normal. worth a shot to check that wire
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
does your battery light on the gauge cluster come on and turn off after the car is running... or stay on in the case that your only generating 9.5 volts.

there is a two wire plug in the ALt. the white wire has power and the white/red wire goes directly to the battery light on your dash... this allows the alternators resistor to work and maintain voltage.. if its not hooked up it can cause some weird issues, usually running at too high voltage.
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #10
Blk96t
Leaky Injector

Blk96t is an unknown quantity at this point
^^this. Check it I had weird problems with this connector
Blk96t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
Drift_86
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (60)
Drift_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Do you have a ka alternator turned out for me ka alternators don't work on my sr for some reason...

Want to roll fenders, custom gauge pod pm me
Drift_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
Cash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cash
I used a KA alternator on a red top SR for years without any issues.
Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #13
Edvo34

Update: After initially looking through the obvious culprits.. no luck.. So I started at ground one.. Going through basically both harnesses , to find out that the harness was just shit.. It was beyond repair.. So trashed both and started fresh with a completely stock and untouched harness (both engine bay and main). I installed it no problem, connecting plugs as I should.. But.. New problem is it'll crank and crank hard but won't start.. No Fuel No spark.. Goin to start over with this new harness setup and see how it goes... Any new ideas are appreciated!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
This happened to me once when I did my swap. Make sure the second plug from the engine harness is locked in under the passenger side panel.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #15
Edvo34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
This happened to me once when I did my swap. Make sure the second plug from the engine harness is locked in under the passenger side panel.
Update: Got the car finally started.. I completely missed the connector by the fusebox. newbie mistake smh:... thanks dude^^^
.. Anyways im still having the charging issue. Before the harness swap it was charging at 9.5V, now it charges at 12.5V (idle). Still low, the hunt continues for a solution for 13V+
Next is to swap in a (Known ) good alternator to see if it changes.. i doubt it, but im desperate to get my car back on the road..

edit: I wanted to see if the alt charged at all.. so for shits and giggles.. i had the car running and pried the Positive terminal slightly to see if it'll stall. It immediately started to stumble if the connection was messed with.. so thats that..

Last edited by Edvo34; 02-12-2016 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Old 02-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #16
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
swap to a quest alternator and have no issues or issues replacing an alternator.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #17
Edvo34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1on1 View Post
Update: Got the car finally started.. I completely missed the connector by the fusebox. newbie mistake smh:... thanks dude^^^
.. Anyways im still having the charging issue. Before the harness swap it was charging at 9.5V, now it charges at 12.5V (idle). Still low, the hunt continues for a solution for 13V+
Next is to swap in a (Known ) good alternator to see if it changes.. i doubt it, but im desperate to get my car back on the road..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black240Ct View Post
does your battery light on the gauge cluster come on and turn off after the car is running... or stay on in the case that your only generating 9.5 volts.

there is a two wire plug in the ALt. the white wire has power and the white/red wire goes directly to the battery light on your dash... this allows the alternators resistor to work and maintain voltage.. if its not hooked up it can cause some weird issues, usually running at too high voltage.
I wanted to see if the alt charged at all.. so for shits and giggles.. i had the car running and pried the Positive terminal slightly to see if it'll stall. It immediately started to stumble if the connection was messed with.. so thats that..
-Also on my gauge cluster the battery light doesn't turn on at all..

I appreciate everyone's help with this.. this has been a headache for me..
Old 02-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
Edvo34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
I've had the same problem it ended up being a red wire was shorting under my dash on the passenger side although I had RB and I had tucked my relay boxes under my dash. Hope you find the problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The alt is probably not getting the 12v signal it would normally get from the battery check bulb in the gauge cluster.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk96t View Post
^^this. Check it I had weird problems with this connector
Quote:
swap to a quest alternator and have no issues or issues replacing an alternator.
to everyone suggesting the W/R wire on the back of the cluster.. The cluster itself had a layer of gunk between the bulb and the cluster. I've cleaned it and IT TURNS ON, but just very dim compared to the BRAKE light..also the bulb will only turn on with the key in specific location in switch
..the problem persist with the low charge
Old 02-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #19
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

batt light should only come on in the ON position.. and then turn off once the alternator is spinning... provided your alternator and such are charging at proper volts.

so batt light should turn off once the car is running... its controlled internally by the alternator.... for the alternator to work properly it needs that resistance of the bulb and W/R wire. so does the light go off now?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #20
Edvo34

Quote:
batt light should only come on in the ON position.. and then turn off once the alternator is spinning... provided your alternator and such are charging at proper volts.

so batt light should turn off once the car is running... its controlled internally by the alternator.... for the alternator to work properly it needs that resistance of the bulb and W/R wire. so does the light go off now?
The light will turn on while cranking the engine. itll turn off once it's on.. bulb is infact working..

I've also replaced the alternator with a known good one.. still no dice
Maybe a culmination of the good alternator conjoined with a separate wire jumped from the cluster to the alternator would work?

thanks again!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #21
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
IIRC, Engine harness isn't connected to the alternator, the lower harness is. I have a feeling you hooked up your lower harness incorrectly or grounding a wire incorrectly. Try checking your wires again with the diagram below:

Edit: If the above doesn't work, then I'm out of options besides double and triple checking. Voltmeter would help you a lot so you can test for connection.

If you want a better layout, here's a installation guide from wiring specialties: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9F...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #22
slow_sr20
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
slow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Sounds like a grounding issue. Add a ground wire. Check the resistance of the existing one. Double and triple check.
slow_sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #23
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Out of ideas... Alt not charging...

Have you check the ground wire connection from alternator to the chassis? Maybe corroded or loose or maybe strip bolts/nuts

Check the alternator wire into the engine bay fuse box as well. And from the engine bay fuse box onto battery wire.
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote