Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Atill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for Paint

i'm ready to paint my coupe and I'm wondering how much paint I need and where I should order it from. my s13 is totally primed and I'm looking for some single stage pre-mixed paint. i have an air compressor and spray gun ready to go
suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Atill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
jscherf92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jscherf92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I used the single stage acrylic urethane from summit racing. Did my hatch with about 6 quarts but it was my first time painting so a lot of it was used up fixing problems and sanding. If you know what you're doing then a gallon should be plenty and they have kits that include the base, reducer and activator. All you do is some simple 4:1 mixing and possibly reducing before spraying. IMO the paint was pretty good quality, sprayed well, easy to wetsand and polish, and has lasted about a year so far with no issues.

All of that being said, I wish I had done a base coat/clear coat instead. Slightly higher cost but I think it would've been a better way to go for my first paint job.

Other places would be Eastwood, TCP Global, maybe even PaintForCars if you want something cheap.
jscherf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Atill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherf92 View Post
I used the single stage acrylic urethane from summit racing. Did my hatch with about 6 quarts but it was my first time painting so a lot of it was used up fixing problems and sanding. If you know what you're doing then a gallon should be plenty and they have kits that include the base, reducer and activator. All you do is some simple 4:1 mixing and possibly reducing before spraying. IMO the paint was pretty good quality, sprayed well, easy to wetsand and polish, and has lasted about a year so far with no issues.

All of that being said, I wish I had done a base coat/clear coat instead. Slightly higher cost but I think it would've been a better way to go for my first paint job.

Other places would be Eastwood, TCP Global, maybe even PaintForCars if you want something cheap.
cool, thanks for the feedback
so did you buy a kit and mix the base, reducer and activator or is the single stage acrylic urethane ready to spray after mixing it by itself?
do you remember how much it cost you?

and yeah this is gonna be my first time painting with anything besides a rattle can lol
Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atill93 View Post
cool, thanks for the feedback
so did you buy a kit and mix the base, reducer and activator or is the single stage acrylic urethane ready to spray after mixing it by itself?
do you remember how much it cost you?

and yeah this is gonna be my first time painting with anything besides a rattle can lol
Is there any reason you want to go with a single stage paint?
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviamang View Post
nah not really

also, is it important to have an in-line filter to get moisture/water out of the compressed air while using the spray gun?
Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Tyler_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I did a single stage a few years ago, I wasn't comfortable shooting clear, so I went with the single stage. You can wetsand and buff out minor imperfections.

I did Nissan Super Black - Paint Code: KH3 and I used a European Brand called Pro Spray from a local Paint Shop. It was like $100 Gallon or so

Edit: Yes, make sure you have a filter for removing water and keep an eye on the temperature. If its to cold outside, your paint is just gonna hit the floor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 390485_292383037459817_938297848_n.jpg (85.3 KB, 49 views)
Tyler_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
Habibi240
Zilvia Member

Habibi240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't do single stage and it's not recommended to let primer sit for over 24 hrs before spraying but primer is cheap
Habibi240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #8
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviamang View Post
Quote:
he answered before you even asked the question, because he's a noob.

Quote:
also, is it important to have an in-line filter to get moisture/water out of the compressed air while using the spray gun?
i highly suggest you do some reading before attempting to be a painter here. if you try to learn the ropes on your own you are going to be kicking yourself in the ass without knowing why. there are a myriad of problems that you can run into that will botch the job. read a book or get your information from professionals online. even watching something as basic as DIYAUTOSCHOOL on youtube will give you some info, as opposed to no info or wrong info. also, buy from a local supply shop.

you got a lot to learn, bud. and remember that its equally important to worry about the prep and tools you use as it is the materials you shoot.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Look for the diy paint thread in the tech section. It'll help a ton.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #10
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You are dead in the water without an experienced mentor. Watch as many diyautoschool/eastwood videos as you can
I'm a big fan of the eastwood tech videos

Last edited by KAT-PWR; 11-30-2015 at 12:11 PM..
KAT-PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Atill93
Leaky Injector

yeah im either gonna order some stuff from tcp global or summit racing

i've been to my local automotive paint shop a few times while doing bodywork etc. so i might go back in there and talk to some experienced guys
Old 11-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Tyler_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Another piece of advice for a diy amateur sand that primer if you haven't already, and then re-prime and fix your imperfections. Then when you're ready for paint, sand it again, and spray. That way you can see if you still have any high or low spots that you didn't notice before. Its well worth the extra expense.

I would use a flex agent on your front lip to help it with flexing and cracking paint.

Remember you can use 40/80 grit to work your bondo and 120grit to feather it in. I went over my car with 400 before I painted
Tyler_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Single stage is doo doo... Just keep practicing with clear coat and you'll eventually get it
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
Single stage is doo doo... Just keep practicing with clear coat and you'll eventually get it
Base clear is more beginner friendly IMO...

Single stage you get one shot, hope you do it right.
Single stage doesn't look THAT bad. I bet if most of you saw a professional single stage vs base clear you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #15
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point

This is ppg shopline paint. I bought a gallon of primer color and clear with all reducers for under 500. I took the time to research, watch videos etc before I started spraying. If you don't want to learn a trade or have patience then get someone to wrap your car. This was only a test run of how well the paint would hold up. So far it's been a year of daily driving , being parked outside, snow and ice and all of motor nature can throw at it and It's held up good . Even with the front bumper scraping and cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #16
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
You need to know the right temp to paint a car and u definitely need a big compressor and inline water filters for sure.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote