Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
oscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Dash vin question.

Previous owner replaced the dash, didn't transfer the old vin over. Now the car I own has no vin present. All other vins (fenders, firewall, door jam) are present and match.

Now my question is, I've been thinking of selling the car to start something else but the dash situation is bugging me.

Would this issue be a huge deterrent for a future buyer? Or is parting out my best option [emoji30]

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
possibly, its hard to tell without just making a FS thread and waiting for buyers. take notes from previous FS threads and be 100% transparent about the vin plate on the dash. some people conceal certain things in FS threads and it just goes bad for them.

The good thing is the important vins are still on the car. if all the vins match up with the vin on the title that is good. hopefully you have title in hand, in your name, with the matching vin.

with that said. there may be a state requirement for a vin plate to be on the dash. not sure. i would look into this.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
technically a dash vin is mandatory. you CAN go to the dmv (I think CHP offers the service as well) and they will inspect the vehicle and issue a "blue tag" which goes in the corner of the windshield, and has the vin printed on it. not sure if there is a fee for this service

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

oscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
technically a dash vin is mandatory. you CAN go to the dmv (I think CHP offers the service as well) and they will inspect the vehicle and issue a "blue tag" which goes in the corner of the windshield, and has the vin printed on it. not sure if there is a fee for this service

Right on, now does this "blue tag" depreciate value of a car?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I don't see why it would. At most it would only be a minor inconvenience of popping the hood at the DMV. If someone tries to lowball you simply because the dash was swapped, tell them to frick off. On my car I forgot to take the vin off the old dash so before I put the new one in I drilled out the old vin plate and left the spot blank.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsx View Post
Right on, now does this "blue tag" depreciate value of a car?
blue tag has nothing to do with the status of the title, its just "hey we lost a vin tag, this is an official replacement for that lost tag"

when imported cars (like r32 or other 25 year law cars) go through the PROPER registration in California, they are assigned a blue tag which is the official vin for that car.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
I think the other ones matter mote. Everyone knows that the dash is shitty on (I'm assuming you have an S13) these cars. It's easier to believe that the dash one is the one that didn't get transferred.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
I think the other ones matter mote. Everyone knows that the dash is shitty on (I'm assuming you have an S13) these cars. It's easier to believe that the dash one is the one that didn't get transferred.

It's an S14, I've made the appointment with the dmv for inspection and they're more than likely are going to send me to the chp to verify, but that's where the issue is. I have a 2JZ swap lol.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can bring a "non-op" car to the chp. It's currently registered so I'd have to switch it over to get It done just to avoid any harassment for it being registered with that type of swap. Worst case scenario ill have to swap an KA and get it done that way. Let's hope they're cool with it [emoji38]
Old 01-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i wanna hear how this CHP inspection goes. please report back. LOL
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
idk if this is illegal, but couldn't you just make a little metal plate and stamp the vin on it since you know what it is and affix it to the dash in oe location?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't see how that would be any worse than having the wrong one in place haha. Not like you're trying to change the vin on the actual chassis or something.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
idk if this is illegal, but couldn't you just make a little metal plate and stamp the vin on it since you know what it is and affix it to the dash in oe location?
technically its illegal since you're not authorized to create/issue vin tags.

but

if you happened to have a stamp set or stamp machine that was the same font and same height and everything, and same size metal tag, I doubt anyone would look that closely. We just swapped dashes between my parts car and my friends car, and it was pretty easy to use a punch to press the rivets out from underneath the dash (both dashes were out of the car, I don't think you could get to it with the dash IN the car)

Quote:
Old 01-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #13
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The legal vin on the car is the one on the firewall. The one on the dash is just a display vin. You can still get in trouble for alteration of a vin if you make your own for the dash however. Having the DMV or Tag office issue you a VIN tag for the dash is the safer route.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #14
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You are thinking about this entirely too hard. Most will not even notice your VIN is missing and you are just getting yourself in trouble by worrying about it
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
You are thinking about this entirely too hard. Most will not even notice your VIN is missing and you are just getting yourself in trouble by worrying about it
Do you ever get tired of that “head up your ass smell”???

The OP is asking the question for a reason. You telling him to just ignore it is dumb as fuck. If I went to purchase a vehicle and saw that any of the vins had been modified or tampered with for any reason it would raise a red flag for me, EVEN an s-chassis.

Quote:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #16
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Do you ever get tired of that “head up your ass smell”???
He enjoys it far too much, he’s busy repping a Lexus crew with his Lexus Prius...I mean Toyota...
Old 01-26-2019, 02:55 AM   #17
Magnezee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (28)
Magnezee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Triple A, do you have it ?

I've purchased a few cars from other states, they verify VINs when registering.

Give them a call, you can do most DMV stuff at AAA but somethings they wont do, your situation is a little different... doesn't hurt to ask.

GL
Magnezee is offline   Reply With Quote