Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #7051
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I'd highly suggest the GKtech knuckles.
Yeah? Idk, I already have PBM everything including the RLCA. Those are $100 more than the PBM ones. I mean I realize there are some benefits to them that the PBM ones don't have, but for some reason I've just never really been crazy about their stuff I dunno why.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #7052
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
Yeah? Idk, I already have PBM everything including the RLCA. Those are $100 more than the PBM ones. I mean I realize there are some benefits to them that the PBM ones don't have, but for some reason I've just never really been crazy about their stuff I dunno why.

They're worth that easily IMO. Lighter, improved camber and toe curves, fixes the S14's anti-squat (important on really low cars), etc.

Also, not saying that PSM stuff doesn't work, because they've proven most of their stuff, but it's nice to know some actual engineering went into a part, and not just trial and error.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #7053
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
I see. Well you've given me some stuff to think about, appreciate it.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #7054
nismo_bill
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
nismo_bill is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
They're worth that easily IMO. Lighter, improved camber and toe curves, fixes the S14's anti-squat (important on really low cars), etc.

Also, not saying that PSM stuff doesn't work, because they've proven most of their stuff, but it's nice to know some actual engineering went into a part, and not just trial and error.
Trial and error is one of the most proven forms of engineering, Andy.

ESPECIALLY in motorsports.
nismo_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #7055
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
Thank you for the input.

I have an S14. Honestly, I think when you add it all up; Z32 uprights ($75-$100), SPL bearing kit ($329), Stance Z32 lower mounts ($100?), I'll probably be spending less in the end just getting the PBM drop knuckles ($400).

Might be overkill, I just want the geometry back to or close to normal.

I have a kit of spl pillow ball bearing that i can sale for 250$us shiped to you

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:58 AM   #7056
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo_bill View Post
Trial and error is one of the most proven forms of engineering, Andy.

ESPECIALLY in motorsports.
Engineering includes some trial and error, but trial and error is not engineering.

You can't just build a bunch of prototypes and test them and call yourself an engineer. A scientist maybe, but not an engineer.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #7057
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
People with the GKTech front knuckles, how the heck did you tighten the top nut on the shank? I can't get a ratchet in there.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #7058
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
People with the GKTech front knuckles, how the heck did you tighten the top nut on the shank? I can't get a ratchet in there.
Something like this:

Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #7059
stuckonfresh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
stuckonfresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post

From my build thread:

All the torque specs were listed on an assembly diagram from the manufacturer. The “shank” (as its called) had be installed on the knuckle first, to insure this tapered shank end seated tight in the knuckle, but I needed a way to prevent the shank from spinning while tightening it- it didn’t help that I greased the shank.

I looked for a nut at local hardware stores, but found nothing, so I just used some washers to ensure the locking part of the included lock nut wasn’t engaged, while at the same time ensuring there was enough thread to grip the shank:

The knuckles have a "sleeve" with a slanted top/roof", so I had to pick up a new socket that as short enough to maneuver past the slanted top piece and down into the "sleeve" (22mm about 1+1/16" height; Kobalt part# 338151); flexible extensions were needed for this as well. The top nut was also a nylon locking nut Shank install; luckily the top had more grip than the lower “washered nut” so it came off fairly easily :

FLCA installation:
stuckonfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #7060
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Ah, figured it required one of those socket joint things. I was just hoping not to use those since they give inaccurate torque, don't they? Maybe I'll just aim on the high side of the spec.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #7061
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Or use one of these:

It fits inside the slot with a socket on it.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #7062
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

I was using one of those and it didn't fit. I guess the head on the one I have is larger. Need a torque wrench for the last few turns anyway.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #7063
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

The torque wrench isnt really necessary. Just muscle down on it... its not rocket surgery.

I posted this on my Facebook, but forgot to post here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6cCA1mzT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6cCA1mzT0&fs=1" width="644" height="390">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6cCA1mzT0&fs=1" />https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6cCA1mzT0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6cCA1mzT0
Old 03-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #7064
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Yeah, I just really don't want a critical piece like that coming loose. I'll be running 315 Hoosiers up front, that's a lot of stress on the pieces when I'm pulling a 1.5G+ turn. Might even drill holes for cotter pins, just to be sure. Edit: not enough thread for a cotter, oh well.

Cool vid btw. Looks like it's keeping a pretty good contact patch.

One more question. How are you guys running the spacers for the tension arm portion of the FLCA? I'm looking for approximately 7-8* of caster, will spacing it evenly get me close?

Last edited by LuckyX2; 03-24-2016 at 09:31 AM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #7065
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Anyone have more info on these Megan balljoints?

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...s14-95-98.html

The item description is a mile long. In fact, some of it was copypasta'd straight from the original post of this thread.

Yet they fail to mention the one single piece of information that anyone actually gives a fuck about: the extended height of the balljoint.

Follow up question: are these Megan balljoints as shitty as the Chinese joints on Megan tie rods? Or are they halfway decent?
Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 AM   #7066
Akop
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Akop is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I was considering buying the Gktech rear knuckles as well. Surprised that there arent any reviews on them yet.
Akop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:23 AM   #7067
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
They look very nice I like the fact that they dual caliper mounting holes no need to mess with splicing lines for Hydro ebrake
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #7068
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akop View Post
I was considering buying the Gktech rear knuckles as well. Surprised that there arent any reviews on them yet.
I know someone personally that has them and he's very happy with the amount of grip he's getting over the stock knuckle. I've seen the tire wear on his rear tires and its very impressive. Very even across the tire.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #7069
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
Anyone have more info on these Megan balljoints?

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...s14-95-98.html

The item description is a mile long. In fact, some of it was copypasta'd straight from the original post of this thread.

Yet they fail to mention the one single piece of information that anyone actually gives a fuck about: the extended height of the balljoint.

Follow up question: are these Megan balljoints as shitty as the Chinese joints on Megan tie rods? Or are they halfway decent?

You'll notice they put in my name at the bottom, but only because I called and told them that they had copied and pasted from my thread. The first person I talked to refused to believe me and asked "you do realize this is Megan Racing corporate?" LOL.

Megan's quality has come up quite a bit in recent years, but I don't think I'd buy from them personally. Plus the whole extended ball joint increases ackerman thing.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #7070
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akop View Post
The top SCCA Street Modified autocrosser in the country uses and likes them. I'll be using them this season too, in competition with him.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #7071
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Trouble here:

S14
OE knuckles
GKTech adjustable Front LCA (Currently set to +0mm extension)
Moog inner tie rods (for S14)
GKTech outters (high misalignment ones) (even using smallest shank they provided)
GKTech rack spacers (6mm one side, 13mm on other side)

on website says "may need to trim inner tie rod"

Ok, well, even If I trimmed the tie rod threads to bottom out the outter tie rod adjustment, I STILL have way too much toe in..

I don't think I'm overlooking anything. Thoughts here gentlemen?

Thanks
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #7072
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Extend the lower arm.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #7073
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
^^^ Either that or run Z33 inner tie rods. You only run S14 inners if you extend the FLCAs with aftermarket rod end style outers.
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #7074
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Extend the lower arm.
This is the correct answer, or at least the correct first step.

Why would you buy $600 FLCAs just to leave them stock length?
Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #7075
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Quote:
This is the correct answer, or at least the correct first step.

1) They were ≈ 400$

2) I started with OE length just for assembly. Car is on jack stands at the moment.

To add to logical reasons

3) 1 piece unit

4) enclosed PTFE lined sphericals

5) great adjustability, if necessary

6) roll center correction shank

7) car had blown OE ball joints and shot bushings

Last edited by Jorgs_7; 03-28-2016 at 01:54 PM..
Old 03-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #7076
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Autocross is a case where extra width can reduce performance.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #7077
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
^More for the back than the front. Obviously within reason, but 1-1.5" of widening the front isn't the end of the world.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #7078
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Trouble here:

S14
OE knuckles
GKTech adjustable Front LCA (Currently set to +0mm extension)
Moog inner tie rods (for S14)
GKTech outters (high misalignment ones) (even using smallest shank they provided)
GKTech rack spacers (6mm one side, 13mm on other side)

on website says "may need to trim inner tie rod"

Ok, well, even If I trimmed the tie rod threads to bottom out the outter tie rod adjustment, I STILL have way too much toe in..

I don't think I'm overlooking anything. Thoughts here gentlemen?

Thanks
Are your "OE" knuckles modified? If you have a stock amount of ackerman, you're never going to get all the toe in out.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #7079
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Are your "OE" knuckles modified? If you have a stock amount of ackerman, you're never going to get all the toe in out.
They are bone stock, unmodified 95' S14 knuckles.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #7080
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Az 240 what ruca you running now? I seen u sold the gk. I just installed mine no way will they work I raised the rear over 1" and the gk ruca bent type are still laying on axle boot. Also have sub frame risers and gk tech rear knuckles.
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote