Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Media Forum / Pictures / Videos

Media Forum / Pictures / Videos Forum dedicated to media, such as pictures and videos.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
e2blade
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
e2blade is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to e2blade Send a message via MSN to e2blade Send a message via Yahoo to e2blade
Full Race/Build Borg Warner EFR Build

CLICK HERE FOR FULL INSTALL

Thanks for looking! Leave a comment or two, I will be here to answer any questions.

Oh my gosh, what a crazy 5 day adventure this install was. It has been over 2 years since I’ve worked on a car.. I absolutely hate working on cars, and I was reminded once again during this install.My hands, arms, and back, either hurt, or were bleeding. I will never do a turbo kit install in car, especially when all the parts are one off and have fitment issues.So to kick this install off, I’ll go over what major parts are being installed.

First and for most, I would like to thank Geoff Raicer and Full-Race Motorsports for making this all happen. I couldn’t have done it without the help of Geoff and a few other people. Many thanks go out to them.

Up in the air so I break my back

Let’s get this nasty stocker out of the way

The parts:

The Manifold

The manifold is a one off of Full Race’s SR Pro Street turbo manifold with a T25 flange, but the runner lengths have been extended. This created a huge problem; it did not clear the stock brake lines. So a quick trip to Suspicious Garage solved that with their awesome AN brake lines. The banjo fittings were able to swivel downwards unlike the stock lines that protruded outwards hitting the manifold.

Notice the amazing robotic welds

Here is an example of a hand weld vs a robotic weld.

The Turbo

The turbo is a Borg Warner EFR 6258 modified with a 3” V band connector. It also has a custom made Full Race internal BOV. Since this is a write up on the install, I am not going to talk much about the turbo’s background information, but if you would like to learn more about it, please click HERE.

Some cliff notes

It’s a bit larger than the stock T25 but makes twice the power, if you would want to compare it to a Garrett size chart, it would be close to a 29r
The cold side wheel is made out of forged billet aluminum
The hot side wheel is composed of aluminum and titanium
The BOV is integrated into the compressor
There is a EBC on the compressor with a GM 2 pin connector
It is internally gated with adjustable boost pressure
The turbine is stainless steel
It is dual ceramic ball bearing
360 degrees of clocking on the compressor and ability to clock turbine
Multiple waste gate mounting points
Simply, it’s amazing.

Some test fitting

The Downpipe

The down pipe was constructed on the car, there were some really tight clearances so a part had to be cheated. 2 bungs were installed for OEM O2 and a wide band sensor.

Up the air we go!

Plumping

Oh gosh, where do I start with this one, this had to be the most time consuming part of the project, I wanted to go with all AN fittings and lines, and doing it in car was constantly kicking my ass. We all know the amazing pain of braided line, I lost count after the 10th time of being stabbed by hose. I had to pull of the manifold and turbo at least 20 times, measuring constantly for the perfect length of hose. Honestly, I am not really happy with how the water feed came out, but it will work. Here are some photos of how I clocked the fittings, sadly I do not have the S15 water neck so I routed the water return back to OEM location behind the firewall, boy was that a pain in the ass, just getting the OEM hose clamp off was a feet in a half, but in the end, it was fully worth it, the pumping looks really clean for the exception being the drain tube, later down the road, I will pull the engine and have a AN connector welded on for an really clean look.

Here at Full Race, if it doesn't fit, we make it fit

This is the oil feed banjo to a -4 AN

More test fitting

Water feed

Oil Feed

All tighten up

The finished product

So overall this was just another turbo kit install but with the expectation of the highest quality parts being used. The only thing that will be needed is a custom exhaust to be made, I got lucky and Full Race had made me a downpipe that fitted my existing exhaust. I can’t wait to get this bad boy tuned, for all those that are asking, I will be choosing Apex’I ‘s Power FC as my ECU. I have never heard a bad thing about it, I am not out to make a million horse powers, I want to learn how to drive my car, because what is a fast car without a fast driver? I want just 300WHP which is easily abatable on this set up, after some cams, retainers and springs, then I will open her up to around 400. Stayed tuned for the adventure to project “and I threw off a cliff” a tune.

Last edited by e2blade; 11-10-2011 at 10:45 AM..
e2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
nice i enjoyed the read !
nujabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
e2blade
Zilvia Member

Send a message via AIM to e2blade Send a message via MSN to e2blade Send a message via Yahoo to e2blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by nujabe View Post
nice i enjoyed the read !
thanks man.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
How long till some dyno action?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
shazaam

Trader Rating: (0)
shazaam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow, just such a beautiful manifold. But yea, how long till a tune?
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
How long till some dyno action?
THIS!!!

I'm interested to see this turbo in action...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
badbob2121
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
badbob2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
awesome, Ive been interested in the Borg Warner turbochargers since i heard about them, definitely post your tuning session

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM = BOBBY_LS13
badbob2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I'm bettin that's going to be a fun setup. That manifold sure doesn't leave much room for the crank vent.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
GregUnit

GregUnit is an unknown quantity at this point
looks good! full-race makes great stuff. cant wait to order mine.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I wanna see dyno sheets!
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #11
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
I'm bettin that's going to be a fun setup. That manifold sure doesn't leave much room for the crank vent.
Yeah great header design, but you'll need to run heat sleeve on the crank case vent otherwise that thing will eat up hoses every 4-5 months.

I really wish when people post these threads that the dyno results are already handy to share with people instead of "I need to get this and that, and the other" to finish the build to minimize dick waving of this still not being better than any gt or gtx garrett turbo charger because there is no proof it's a better or more efficient setup.

You end up with circle jerk threads like this

New EFR Turbos. - Nissan Road Racing Forums

with people asking the retailers of the turbo to stand behind their product and provide dyno chart results and side by side comparisons to said competing turbos instead of flashy sierra sierra evo marketing videos.

Either way, your car I dig the turbo and the setup and would still like to give one a chance. I hope you actually come through with the results instead of excuses.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
really enjoyed this because of the photos! what kind of lense are you using here?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
BrowniesGoneWild_s13

BrowniesGoneWild_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats sick!! What ever camera is that its too good!
BrowniesGoneWild_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Any updates with this? Dyno charts?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
RB180sxChris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
RB180sxChris is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
these pics are soooo clear what camera did you use??? legit car dude!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
e2blade
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJDM View Post
really enjoyed this because of the photos! what kind of lense are you using here?
Nikon D700 w/ 50 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowniesGoneWild_s13 View Post
Thats sick!! What ever camera is that its too good!
Nikon D700 w/ 50 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Any updates with this? Dyno charts?
Some bad things happen to the car, oil filter fell off and believe that someone had tampered with it. Extremely upset about this, car has about 3 more weeks of down time and it should be back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB180sxChris View Post
these pics are soooo clear what camera did you use??? legit car dude!
Thanks
Nikon D700 w/ 50 1.4
Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
xilovelsdx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
xilovelsdx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xilovelsdx
Updates! did you ever get this thing tuned?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
e2blade
Zilvia Member

I am not at liberty to say what happen to this car.
But lets just say its getting a stock turbo on it.

Frustrating much, losing seat time
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #19
e2blade
Zilvia Member

After ALMOST 2 years, it finally went on the dyno!

SR20DET
ARP Head, main, and rod studs
Full-Race Motorsports Turbo kit
Borg Warner EFR 6258
ID 1000
Tomei FPR
Freddy Intake Manifold

10 pounds of boost, Pump gas

This was a baseline pull, 91 pump street tune.
Next post will be with 93 pump TUNED, and then going to e100 for full boost!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
The graph looks very promising. Looking forward to the results!

Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
e2blade
Zilvia Member

Real tune tonight

320whp on gate 10PSI
240wtq

Gonna see how we can wire up the EFR EBC to the Power FC for more boost before a local drift comp!

Last edited by e2blade; 07-11-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your location says PHX, but I see the car is at National Speed in Wilmington, NC. . . I haven't had any work done there but hear and see great stuff coming out of that shop.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
e2blade
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Your location says PHX, but I see the car is at National Speed in Wilmington, NC. . . I haven't had any work done there but hear and see great stuff coming out of that shop.
I came to NC for some business stuff. Moving back to PHX ASAP

Ended up winning one of the local drift comps and I couldn't have done with out the EFR being on my SR20. I always had spool on the low end which I REALLY needed due to the track being so tight.

This car has been the most reliable tuner I've ever owned, for the past year, I jump in my car, turn the key and floor it out of my driveway. So many people give SR20's a bad name but I have never had a major issue with mine.

I have been REALLY busy lately with our current business, here is a update on what has been done to the car.

Finally some updates

Murica Motorsports 1989 Nissan S13 240sx by Murica Motorsports, on Flickr

New booster.

Wow such buster

Valve train looks good after about 3000 miles.

-8 Fittings

Temporary catch can until I can get a CNC one

Installed

Innovate LC-1 Wide band

Tomei Type -L FPR

All wrapped up and ready to drive

Old 11-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I'd love to see a dyno with the electronic boost controller dialed in. I'd imagine there's a significant boost response gain.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #25
e2blade
Zilvia Member

Got this thing back on the Dyno before I left North Carolina to open up a shop down in Phoenix, AZ

We manged to put down 400WHP at around 27 PSI @4500RPM on 93 Octane, Remember I am on a low boost canister, so the gate could not hold the boost and our final number was 18PSI at 7500 RPM and making 380 WHP

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...30597341884725 (VIDEO)

(graph shown is a pull before the 400 number)

We had some technical difficulties with the EFR EBC communicating with my Power FC, hopefully we'll have it worked out and tuned on E85 in the coming week.

FYI, I have been daily driving this car now for 2 years now and has seen over 50 drift events, My SR20DET has NEVER given me ANY PROBLEMS.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #26
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Awesome! I don't see anything about cams listed, is this on stock cams?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #27
e2blade
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Awesome! I don't see anything about cams listed, is this on stock cams?
Stock cams
Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #28
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Awesome numbers on stock cams! A mild cam upgrade would probably make more power everywhere, but given that you have an extremely reliable setup, it makes sense to keep it like it is.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #29
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Updates on this car?