Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
Loomis112
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Loomis112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 beginner drift talk

Let me be clear and state that I am literally just learning the basics and have only just started attempting to get sideways a month ago.

I only have a few questions plain and simple. Let me go ahead and say I have stock springs with kyb struts

I find it kind of hard even with my sr to break loose like I see all the guys able to slide out so easily and I have to really kick that clutch to get it to respond. One question is will excessive clutch kicking hurt my car? When I say excessive I mean just when needed and not just mashing on it randomly.

One other thing. Coilovers. Do they make you break loose easier? Does have your cars centee of gravity lowered with harder suspension help you easily break loose because I imagine with my setup because of the suspension travel and how light the setup is that, that is also part of the reason its hard for me to break loose. Am I right or wrong?

Just looking for some incite from someone who knows these things thank you

Also sorry about the messy post im typing from my phone and it's not that easy to make the post look nice
Loomis112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Weld the diff or buy a 2-way, buy an HKS WG actuator and turn up to 11psi, stiffer shock/spring rates will help but you don't need 12k/10k to go skidding.

I also recommend looking up the drift bible.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
+1 to drift bible. With stock KA I had good luck with a super crude setup of airing my rear tires up to like 60psi (stock 195/60 tires like to roll), turning coilovers to full stiff in the rear, welding diff and most importantly relax. I'm still a noob too but what I've learned is beginner level drifting is pretty easy once you relax and let the car do the work.

First event I was way too controlling and put every input I could into a drift. I started to do much better when I did those settings I mentioned above and just sat back in my seat firmly and used a bit of weight control and plenty of clutch kicks. I started doing 2nd gear (slow), mild scandinavian flicks with a well timed clutch kick to initiate. Keep your head turned in the direction where you want to go and don't be afraid to let go of the wheel to let it spin around countersteering.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
first_choice
Leaky Injector

first_choice is an unknown quantity at this point
under-powered cars and tire pressure is crucial. you might sacrifice some grip though.
first_choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis112 View Post
I find it kind of hard even with my sr to break loose like I see all the guys able to slide out so easily
Quote:
Originally Posted by first_choice View Post
under-powered cars and tire pressure is crucial.
sr = under-powered?

are you well, my friend?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Goofs
Zilvia Addict

Goofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of light
My best advice to you, and anyone else thinking of getting into drifting is to read this entire thread. A TON of great info from experienced drivers.

http://jdmchicago.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26215

Also, stick to simplicity. An SR is all you need power wise.
Focus on:
A quality set of coils, new or used
Bucket Seat
Steering wheel
Welded diff.
A working E-brake. No hydro.

The more reliable your car is, the more seat time you'll get.

Please don't think of an LS, 1/2JZ, or RB swaps. If you do not have the experience/skills, these setups will only hinder your learning.

Hopefully this helps!
Goofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
with an sr getting it to "break loose" should be easy lol

you shouldnt even need to clutch kick, just power over, like floor it and turn at the same time

even in my s13, which is totally stock (stock KA, open diff, stock suspension) i can do good donuts/figure 8s and im not even that good of a driver
Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
first_choice
Leaky Injector

first_choice is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
sr = under-powered?

are you well, my friend?
I'm perfectly fine, if you ignore the fact that you're trying to heckle me and read that this guy is complaining about struggling to break loose with an SR then he must be barely breaking 200 hp to the wheels or still needs to learn how to initiate. In my world we call that under-powered.
first_choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
SaNTi
Zilvia Addict

SaNTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofs View Post
My best advice to you, and anyone else thinking of getting into drifting is to read this entire thread. A TON of great info from experienced drivers.

http://jdmchicago.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26215

Also, stick to simplicity. An SR is all you need power wise.
Focus on:
A quality set of coils, new or used
Bucket Seat
Steering wheel
Welded diff.
A working E-brake.
No hydro.

The more reliable your car is, the more seat time you'll get.

Please don't think of an LS, 1/2JZ, or RB swaps. If you do not have the experience/skills, these setups will only hinder your learning.

Hopefully this helps!
All this + seat time.
SaNTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Loomis112
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the help guys.

And yes I am a total noob to drifting and the most ive ever really done is donuts around a concrete circle that me and some firends go and chill at on saturdays.

I live up in Idaho so finding a place to drift even track wise is really tricky.

I do have a welded diff also some other mods on my sr are gt2871 apexi neo z32 maf and 550cc injectors.

But like I said im new to it and I will definetly try some of the stuff I have read about today thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
Loomis112
Zilvia Member

Also what tire pressure should I roll with? I'm running stock wheels so 205/60r15's
Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Seriously all you need are coilovers since you already have a welded.

Run the rear tires at about 50 psi, then lower it if you feel you need more grip.

http://milktea-man.com
KevinEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Is anyone else scratching their heads as to why this kid cant break the tires loose in a 2871r/SR setup? Somethings not right. lol
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
Goofs
Zilvia Addict

Goofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Is anyone else scratching their heads as to why this kid cant break the tires loose in a 2871r/SR setup? Somethings not right. lol
Lololol was thinking exact same thing. Dont worry, he'll get it.

Another solid piece of advice is let someone who knows what they're doing drive, and observe. Get as much pointers as you can.

We've had a couple drift 101 events here in Chicago where experienced drivers ride along with you all day giving you pointers. No spectators so no added pressure, just concentration on driving and improvement.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by first_choice View Post
I'm perfectly fine, if you ignore the fact that you're trying to heckle me and read that this guy is complaining about struggling to break loose with an SR then he must be barely breaking 200 hp to the wheels or still needs to learn how to initiate. In my world we call that under-powered.
Yeah well, in my world you're...... a moron.

If you cant break traction in an SR its not because the car is under-powered, its because the driver is inexperienced or the motor is shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinEdgar View Post
Seriously all you need are coilovers since you already have a welded. Run the rear tires at about 50 psi, then lower it if you feel you need more grip.
50 psi? Are people really drifting with 50psi? What_the_fuck

Seriously, whats wrong with you idiots... if you need to jack the pressure up to 50psi you should consider just driving on a 185 sized tire.

Quote:

C:\> del c:\zilvia\f\users\*.*
Old 07-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Loomis112
Zilvia Member

Yeah I'm very inexperienced I've said it several times and the title of the post includes "Beginner"

But im all ears for learning and taking advice and this thread so far has been very helpful thank you
Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
SoCalDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
just keep it floored
SoCalDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Gun it towards the nearest mailbox, rip the ebrake, countersteer, and hope for the best. That's how all the legends learn... trial by fire.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #19
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
50 psi? Are people really drifting with 50psi? What_the_fuck

Seriously, whats wrong with you idiots... if you need to jack the pressure up to 50psi you should consider just driving on a 185 sized tire.
Yes, I used to run ~50 psi rear when I was on 15s. Tons of smoke, and the tires lasted a good bit.

I'm trying to help a forum member, leave the bullshit out man, it's not necessary...

All you have done is come into the thread with absolutely no helpful information for this curious beginner. You should just get the fuck out of here.

http://milktea-man.com
KevinEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Drive faster/ rev higher

Your SR will need time to spool the turbo, which means your powerband will be up top, which means low speed shit sucks

Out here, I often find myself upshifting from 2nd-3rd with the s15 sr20det I just put in, which has less power than what you have.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #21
Nismocoupe13
Leaky Injector

Nismocoupe13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty much all of the suggestions are true. When I first started all I did was weld the diff, throw some coils on, and dumped some weight. Was able to get my KA to let me slide on through.

All in all, SEAT TIME!!

Good luck.
Nismocoupe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
actually this is a pretty good video for getting an idea of techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGyDAj_dYw
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofs View Post
\
Steering wheel
wtf??? mind to explain? Smaller better some say? I dont think it'd make a difference for a beginner...
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
Goofs
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
wtf??? lol
Are you dumb?

Night and day difference between a stock steering wheel compared to a Nardi or whatever brand you choose....
Old 07-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #25
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Gun it towards the nearest mailbox, rip the ebrake, countersteer, and hope for the best. That's how all the legends learn... trial by fire.
funniest shit i have ever read. shame the whole thing wont fit in my signature.
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #26
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
about the steering wheel, it really does make a significant difference in steering feel and control in my opinion

also stock steering wheels are really ugly
Old 07-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #27
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
It sounds to me like you are babying the car. Are your clutch kicks at low rpm? As stated above it is a 4 cylinder turbo car and needs to be driven as such. Get those rpms up. I'm not saying bounce it off limiter, but you gotta give that turbo a chance to spool.
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #28
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Weld your differential now. Buy nice coilovers now. Grow some balls.

You will soon be a drift god
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #29
PowerDrifter
Zilvia Junkie

PowerDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
All right look man there lots of ways you can do this all right. Handbraking is the easiest so the first thing I want you to do, I want you to rip that E-Brake all right. After you rip that E-Brake then I want you to power over
PowerDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #30
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinedgar View Post
all you have done is come into the thread with absolutely no helpful information
thank you very much, i try my best