Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
tianh

Trader Rating: (0)
tianh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the 240sx right for me?

Hey guys,

In a few months after I get some more money I plan on buying a 240sx off craigslist. I was going to get a s2000, but I changed my mind.

After browsing through these forums a little bit, I am kind of scared to get a 240sx, you guys just seem to put SO much work into your cars and honestly, I can't even change the spare on any car let alone work on the 240sx. I plan on taking everything to either a local mechanic or body shop if I ever needed to be modded.

With that said, is it still a safe buy for me to get a 240sx and get a couple of parts for it? (s14 conversion) some wheels and coilovers and still have it be a reliable DD without much work on my end? Also if anyone could point me out to some good forum threads with helpful information that would be great as well. How long can I expect the stock engine to last me? Swapping engines sounds like such a task...

I plan on getting a ver. 2 1995-1998 240sx.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
no.....

if you can barely change a spare tire keep it stock if anything.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Go for the S2000. You gotta have a passion to own these cars as they are starting to age, and more work will be required from YOU the owner to fix and maintain it on a regular basis. If you want something right, you do it yourself. Otherwise in the end, you won't be happy.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
tianh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshchewuhh View Post
no.....

if you can barely change a spare tire keep it stock if anything.
Thanks for a honest answer, I can change the spare but you know what I mean.. I am nowhere near the level of all you guys on the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Go for the S2000. You gotta have a passion to own these cars as they are starting to age, and more work will be required from YOU the owner to fix and maintain it on a regular basis. If you want something right, you do it yourself. Otherwise in the end, you won't be happy.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
rat240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (87)
rat240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
get the s2000 you will never want to buy a 240
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianh View Post
Hey guys,

In a few months after I get some more money I plan on buying a 240sx off craigslist. I was going to get a s2000, but I changed my mind.

After browsing through these forums a little bit, I am kind of scared to get a 240sx, you guys just seem to put SO much work into your cars and honestly, I can't even change the spare on any car let alone work on the 240sx. I plan on taking everything to either a local mechanic or body shop if I ever needed to be modded.

With that said, is it still a safe buy for me to get a 240sx and get a couple of parts for it? (s14 conversion) some wheels and coilovers and still have it be a reliable DD without much work on my end? Also if anyone could point me out to some good forum threads with helpful information that would be great as well. How long can I expect the stock engine to last me? Swapping engines sounds like such a task...

no. a 240sx is a very "diy" type of car. Parts are cheap, but often crap. If you want reliable, you gotta keep it stock and expenses will be pricey for parts that will last. Keep in mind, even an s14 is fairly old, and probably beat on. Shit happens, parts break, and shops charge a lot sometimes for relatively easy work.

If budget is you're issue, save up for a car that won't require work. 240sx's are great cars, but not if you are broke.

Oh and dude, we all start somewhere. When i first got my 240sx, the rotor was rusted so hard that i thought i needed some tools to remove it... little did i know i just needed a nice kick.

We've all been stupid at some point in life, its experience and not being afraid to make mistakes that makes us all the way we are.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
tianh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
no. a 240sx is a very "diy" type of car. Parts are cheap, but often crap. If you want reliable, you gotta keep it stock and expenses will be pricey for parts that will last. Keep in mind, even an s14 is fairly old, and probably beat on. Shit happens, parts break, and shops charge a lot sometimes for relatively easy work.

If budget is you're issue, save up for a car that won't require work. 240sx's are great cars, but not if you are broke.
Thanks for the reply, I will probably be looking back to a s2000, but if I were to get this car of course I am planning to learn the things on it. Also I don;t think budget is an issue since I am not doing anything crazy like an engine swap or anything.

Just buy the car stock, get some aero parts, lower it and wheels which doesn;t seem to bad right?

Maybe I worded my opening post wrong, but I am not buying this car to drift or anything, just want a reliable DD car, but at the same time modding the exterior and not really doing anything engine wise. Would I be safe buying this car with over 100k miles?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Kwonza Says
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
Kwonza Says is a jewel in the roughKwonza Says is a jewel in the roughKwonza Says is a jewel in the roughKwonza Says is a jewel in the roughKwonza Says is a jewel in the roughKwonza Says is a jewel in the roughKwonza Says is a jewel in the roughKwonza Says is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
It's a learning process that requires a lot of time and money~ if you don't have both 240's is not the road for you mang
Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
tianh

Quote:
Oh and dude, we all start somewhere. When i first got my 240sx, the rotor was rusted so hard that i thought i needed some tools to remove it... little did i know i just needed a nice kick.

We've all been stupid at some point in life, its experience and not being afraid to make mistakes that makes us all the way we are.
That is exactly how I see it, I am willing to learn! Haha, but this car does seem more work than most though that is for sure hehe

So even if I were just to buy this car stock and put a few harmless mods like coilovers and wheels on it, it still wouldn;t be the right choice for me? Is it because if a part break then I am out of luck unless I am car mechanic orientated?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I will probably be looking back to a s2000, but if I were to get this car of course I am planning to learn the things on it. Also I don;t think budget is an issue since I am not doing anything crazy like an engine swap or anything.

Just buy the car stock, get some aero parts, lower it and wheels which doesn;t seem to bad right?

Maybe I worded my opening post wrong, but I am not buying this car to drift or anything, just want a reliable DD car, but at the same time modding the exterior and not really doing anything engine wise. Would I be safe buying this car with over 100k miles?
If you find a car that is healthy then it shouldn't be that much of an issue keeping it healthy. However, like i said, keep in mind these cars are old and have seen better days. 240sx's were not the best cars, reliability wise. There are a lot of things you sometimes have to fix before you can get it in a stable condition, imho. Power steering tends to leak, wiring sucks, being old, rust. All that are determining factors on how a car is and will live.
Quote:
That is exactly how I see it, I am willing to learn! Haha, but this car does seem more work than most though that is for sure hehe

So even if I were just to buy this car stock and put a few harmless mods like coilovers and wheels on it, it still wouldn;t be the right choice for me? Is it because if a part break then I am out of luck unless I am car mechanic orientated?
Putting coilovers, lowering them, torque specs... all those aren't hard. Especially on a s13/14. However, if shit breaks you do need to be somewhat inclined to find out what it is, so you don't go fixing what doesn't need to be fixed. Coilovers are fine, usually they will last if only daily driven on. If you slam your car, you will need to look into more work/stuff such as wire tucks, banging fenders, all that. Don't let it discourage you, but you have to be in it all the way or else you won't be happy. Don't let the work discourage you, but don't expect it to be easy.

and trust me, once you start with parts you wont stop.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
rweezly_s13
Leaky Injector

rweezly_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
man if you're not car smart dont even bother with a s-chassis
b/c if you plan on goin to shops for work plan on gettin ripped off for parts
that you could find anywhere else for cheap...and like they said these cars do require some maintenace and well keeping!! get the s2k and save yourself a headache!
go to superhonda.com if you want some info man! but good luck on your ventures
Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
tianh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweezly_s13 View Post
man if you're not car smart dont even bother with a s-chassis
b/c if you plan on goin to shops for work plan on gettin ripped off for parts
that you could find anywhere else for cheap...and like they said these cars do require some maintenace and well keeping!! get the s2k and save yourself a headache!
go to superhonda.com if you want some info man! but good luck on your ventures
Thanks guys!

After reading some of the comments and some more threads, this car does not seem like it is for beginners like me. It is such a shame because I do like the look of a 240sx modded out wayy better than an s2k
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I wouldn't bother from what your saying. It's gonna require work and time and money. No car is perfect. Especially s chassis. And if you think about it even if you just get your brakes done, your going to be spending alot on labor and parts together since you will have a mechanicc to do it. If you maintain it well you can keep it running good but it usually helps if you get a chilton and do it your self with a buddy and learn.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
rob22
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (50)
rob22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
s2000....
im tired of my s14..
Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
Driftnut69
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
Driftnut69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
and trust me, once you start with parts you wont stop.
Agreed!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #16
keeeban
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
keeeban is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
If you're not a DIY type of person, then you'll be spending a lot of money taking it to mechanics and body shops. But if you have the money to take it to shops to install everything, by all means, go for it. But if you want reliability, and have the cash, why go for a car that's a decade and a half old?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #17
caspa
Leaky Injector

caspa is an unknown quantity at this point
what are your goals/plans for the car?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspa View Post
what are your goals/plans for the car?
he clearly said "coilovers, wheels, aero" and he just wants to daily the car.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #19
caspa
Leaky Injector

caspa is an unknown quantity at this point
Id go with a s2k.
oh and by the way, is this gonna be you first car?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #20
Schassis707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
Schassis707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
me and everyone..I mean EVERYONE didnt know anything bout 240's at one point in their lives. But if you really like them and would prefer them over a s2k than i say before you go and buy either car, test drive them both, do HEAVY research on both cars.

Like everyone has said.. they need work, and are definatly not bullet proof. I didnt know what i was getting into when i went from my civic to my 240. They are much more complicated, and need more work for sure. But if you can get one that has been unmolested and taken good care of i say go for it, And learn as you go on.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #21
Weedm
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Weedm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
the easy answer would be, "if you have to ask, then no". the s2k would be a better option for you as it is fairly new and should not have problems like a 240 would.

I think most of us s-chassis owners can say that there is never a time where our cars are working perfectly with no problems.

With that said, modding is a learning process. everyone has to start somewhere, and all of us here surely were just like you at one point and didnt know much at all. however, with time and effort, you will surely learn more than you think you would.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #22
tianh

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspa View Post
Id go with a s2k.
oh and by the way, is this gonna be you first car?
it will be my first car, my uncle doesn own a shop though if that helps, but the damn guy still charges me! hahaha

yeah im thinking about getting a prelude right now sorry if the prelude is a taboo car on these forums, but it seems a bit easier for me to handle

but then again i am really considering just getting a stock 240sx and just progress and learn on it.. will have to think about it a bit more
Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #23
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
With that said, is it still a safe buy for me to get a 240sx and get a couple of parts for it? (s14 conversion)..............
s14 conversion on an s14?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 AM   #24
negrosx13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
negrosx13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to negrosx13
you must love the 240sx to keep it,even with all the bs that goes wrong it..same thing with car in its age range..rx7,supras,etc
Old 11-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #25
travisty_
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
travisty_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My first car was my S13, and I pretty much learned how to work on cars because of it. If you really like the car more than a s2k and are willing to learn about it, then go ahead and get one.

There's information for these cars all over the place, you just have to look for it. Its a good learning experience.

No matter what car you choose, if you plan on modding it you should learn how to work on your car yourself. It'll save you a ton of mechanics fees. If your uncle owns a shop maybe he can give you tips and whatnot.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #26
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
Avoid it like zombie dicks.

Stay the fuck away.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #27
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
get one that is already modded with the stuff you want on it. then just take it in for maintenance every three months. or less lolz
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #28
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you have to ask, then no.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #29
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Troll Thread is closed.
Closed Thread