Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #13531
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bumper to bumper makes me plenty happy getting to drive it everyday without concern. Meanwhile mine and everyone else's S chassis sits on jackstands over dumb problems that refuse to stay fixed.

One day it'll get a turbo kit installed and stupid wide wheels, but I'm happy with it today. I really don't get being an asshole just to be an asshole. It's not adding anything to the conversation.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #13532
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cured13 View Post
No kidding eh, and what engine you swapped in that cramped/overweight chassis?
Why swap? You can get brand new built FA20 longlblocks that can handle up to 500hp for less than $5k.

Also, overweight? The new/ old BRZ weighs less than an AP2 S2K...

Quote:
I was hoping there will be no compromise and this time they will give it better engine that they already have. That's all.
We don't even know anything about this new NA 2.4L. We might find out that they can easily handle 300whp, or more with bolt-on forced induction.

I'm still waiting for the 100% confirmation that there won't be a turbo option, though.
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #13533
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/18/...-brz-revealed/

Still NA, but up 23hp and 28ft lbs. weight stays pretty much the same. I don?t think it?s an overall beautiful design but I don?t think it?s polarizing by any stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front end looks like a mazda 3 and the taillights off a jag xf...uhhh
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #13534
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
Meanwhile mine and everyone else's S chassis sits on jackstands over dumb problems that refuse to stay fixed.

One day it'll get a turbo kit installed and stupid wide wheels, but I'm happy with it today. I really don't get being an asshole just to be an asshole. It's not adding anything to the conversation.
Dude, chill out. Maybe working on cars is not for you. Maybe that's why you constantly hate s-chassis. I don't know.

All I'm saying is that this new BRZ is a disappointment to me. With turbo engine it will have much more potential, value and will get me forget about Nissans.
Did you ever drive RHD, clean s-chassis. They are very nice and reliable cars.
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #13535
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Why do they keep shooting themselves in the foot and not slapping a turbo on that bitch or at least offering the option. Those things would sell like hotcakes.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #13536
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Front end looks like a mazda 3 and the taillights off a jag xf...uhhh
The tear drop vents had me thinking of that "Brrrr" meme, so I went ahead and did a 5min MS paint version:

Old 11-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #13537
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Should I chill out or should you not be an asshole? The world may never know.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #13538
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Dude, chill out. Maybe working on cars is not for you. Maybe that's why you constantly hate s-chassis. I don't know.

All I'm saying is that this new BRZ is a disappointment to me. With turbo engine it will have much more potential, value and will get me forget about Nissans.
Did you ever drive RHD, clean s-chassis. They are very nice and reliable cars.
Lol @ s-chassis is reliable
Old 11-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #13539
cured13
Zilvia Addict

cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Yes they are, if you know what you are doing.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #13540
cured13
Zilvia Addict

I wish all dreamers finally get it and sell their 240's.

If you can't make it with s-chassis then "bumper to bumper" deal is the only and best option.
Get real and stay there.

Don't hate, please.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #13541
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
What a boring car lol

My 240 has been pretty reliable even with the KA-T. The secret is you don't tear the car apart down to the shell and rebuild it with 98% custom work and relocated everything. This is also so you actually retain the factory-designed electrical wiring routing. Also, if you can't keep a 90's Japanese 4 cylinder running then you should just lease new cars.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #13542
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
What a boring car lol

My 240 has been pretty reliable even with the KA-T. The secret is you don't tear the car apart down to the shell and rebuild it with 98% custom work and relocated everything. This is also so you actually retain the factory-designed electrical wiring routing. Also, if you can't keep a 90's Japanese 4 cylinder running then you should just lease new cars.
You just pegged 90% of zilvia....actually 90% of 240 owners
Old 11-18-2020, 06:38 PM   #13543
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

My 240's in hibernation, because I got tired of always fixing the SOHC every couple of months... I could always get it back working with troubleshooting and replacing parts ($), but it never lasted long term.

Probably has something to do with the PO dicking with the wiring and adding an MSD ignition for whatever reason. Or, that parts need to be replaced more often, because of being re-manufactured?

I know damn well that a proper SR20DET swap is going to cost me about $6.5K-$10K and I've been dragging my feet on that for a while. That was always the original plan and the car would be pretty complete after that.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #13544
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

This forum exists because these cars are such a pain in the ass to keep on the road in proper working order. This whole line of dialog is ridiculous.

Most of us can fix just about any s chassis problem but you get to a point sometimes where you just want to get in, turn the key, and drive. So I've got a brz in the driveway, a fastback in the garage, and a pre smog D100 in the backyard.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #13545
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
This forum exists because these cars are such a pain in the ass to keep on the road in proper working order. This whole line of dialog is ridiculous.

Most of us can fix just about any s chassis problem but you get to a point sometimes where you just want to get in, turn the key, and drive. So I've got a brz in the driveway, a fastback in the garage, and a pre smog D100 in the backyard.
Yep.

I've got a stock WRX STI (with warranty) for a DD, a coupe in the garage and a 78' F150 Custom 4x4 in the backyard.

Having a DD that starts immediately every time, has cold a/c and can get down aggressively on the back roads is pretty awesome.

I have no plans on selling my coupe, but I have been dead in the water for sometime. Mainly, because I start over thinking cost and effort... Having my STI has eased myself back into focusing more on it, though.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #13546
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

New 2022 CTR with the NSX's Hybrid AWD system (400hp) could be pretty neat:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...thing-we-know/

Base Civic (hood line looks funky, but kind of gets better the more you look at it):

Old 11-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #13547
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I find it really boring. sedan front reminds me of 9th gen accord. hoping their hatch design takes more risks. it does not have to go from one extreme to another in terms of design language. interior looks nice but wish they didnt rip off mazda as much. do love the choice or hearsay to keep the manual transmission.

design wise more excited for upcoming sonata N. Hyundai is nailing it these days imo even if it's more polarizing.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #13548
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
At least they are going in the right direction with not having those massive fake grills on the rear bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanSayWhat View Post
Yep.

I've got a stock WRX STI (with warranty) for a DD, a coupe in the garage and a 78' F150 Custom 4x4 in the backyard.

Having a DD that starts immediately every time, has cold a/c and can get down aggressively on the back roads is pretty awesome.

I have no plans on selling my coupe, but I have been dead in the water for sometime. Mainly, because I start over thinking cost and effort... Having my STI has eased myself back into focusing more on it, though.
My s14 does this lol I get upgrading to a newer and more capable chassis but to say these cars are unreliable is just hilarious. What was done to the car made it unreliable. Stop shaving shit, tucking shit, cutting wiring harnesses and rerouting them, installing crappy aftermarket e-fans, ripping out all the AC/heat components, swapping massive engines/turbo's and keep it mostly original...you know, like you guys have done with your reliable BRZ/STi.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #13549
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

What a boring VW/Audi fighter. Cool tech, meh application aesthetically. At least it's less visually noisy than current Honda designs.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #13550
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
My s14 does this lol I get upgrading to a newer and more capable chassis but to say these cars are unreliable is just hilarious. What was done to the car made it unreliable. Stop shaving shit, tucking shit, cutting wiring harnesses and rerouting them, installing crappy aftermarket e-fans, ripping out all the AC/heat components, swapping massive engines/turbo's and keep it mostly original...you know, like you guys have done with your reliable BRZ/STi.
Oh, I completely agree and I think you misunderstood me and kingkilburn.

A bone stock un fucked with 240sx can be reliable with proper maintenance. The problem is most people don't find a stock KA24E/DE with 134-155hp to be enough. So, then the atrocious modifications occur, resulting in a un-realibale car.

This is why, so many 240's are unreliable, because of the PO's... These cars were cheap and available for a long time. Also, people who inspire to own and keep up a stock motor KA24E/DE are definitely few and far between.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #13551
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

The only modification my s13 has seen is a stereo and subwoofer. Everything else is catching up with poor maintenance before I got the car and the reality of a near 30 year old car. Bad cat, bad EGR, bad iacv, bad tps, bad vacuum hoses, bad heater core, bad heater core fittings, bad EGR temp sensor, stretched timing chains, worn timing gears, bad speedo in the cluster...

The list goes on and on and on and on. I'm able to fix all that. I can afford to fix all that. I'm willing to fix all that. That's not a daily driver, and that's okay.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #13552
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
A FULLY BUILT 240sx can be reliable with proper maintenance.
went ahead and fixed that for yah my current S13 is damn near complete outside of some Rercaros for the interior, plus body work and paint (which wnt be done until my S13 product line is completed). i want to build a new SR for my car eventually as my current one is getting tired (its just old, need a rebuild and turbo is starting to seep oil from the intake side). but yeah, in its current state, motor is done, tuning is done, brakes are full Z32 (with ebrake drums), suspension is completely done and the car fires right up every time with zero issues. driving it, the car is quite... i want to replace the coilovers with something less aggressive, but over all, its a fully built car that is 100% reliable (i have to daily it when my daily driven Protege5 takes a shit, and ive had 100x more problems with the 2 Proteges ive owned than ive EVER had with my S13)

i think it just boils down to most 240sx kids now dont do ANY maintenance and slap their cars together, beat the shit out of them, then wonder why they blow up... oh then they take the blown up car and part it out and sell off the shell. its a vicious and rather sad circle

as far as the new Civic... i looked at it and thought "wow, its like a Toyota and a Volkswagen had a bastard child together". at least the car isnt laden with fake vents everywhere and doesnt scream "boy racer".

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #13553
deolio
Post Whore!

deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Man, all of these cars just look like uninspired blobs. I think the ND was the last car that I actually thought had some new and exciting design.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #13554
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
went ahead and fixed that for yah
Yep, also true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
Man, all of these cars just look like uninspired blobs. I think the ND was the last car that I actually thought had some new and exciting design.
I get what you're saying, but sometimes uninspired blobs with a little bit of performance can be cool. Kind of like the Accord Euro R.

I just don't understand why Japan can't make a good looking front bumper with these new FR's... The 400Z and new BRZ front bumpers are just not doing it for me at all.

Also, I forgot that I saw a brand new C8 Corvette drive by me the other day. It was red with the black tall wing option. Actually looked pretty nice.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #13555
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yep, also true.

I get what you're saying, but sometimes uninspired blobs with a little bit of performance can be cool. Kind of like the Accord Euro R.

I just don't understand why Japan can't make a good looking front bumper with these new FR's... The 400Z and new BRZ front bumpers are just not doing it for me at all.

Also, I forgot that I saw a brand new C8 Corvette drive by me the other day. It was red with the black tall wing option. Actually looked pretty nice.
IDk about that. When the cl7 came out it had pretty bold and aggressive styling compared to its closest competitors (camry, g20, 3 series). Maybe I'm just biased in this example since I love that car haha but at least there was one standout. Now it's a sea of sameness. Everyone cheating off of everyone else's homework. No one brave enough to stand apart.

The rear ends of all of those cars are where it really seems to fall apart IMO. Z just seems like something is missing, the BRZ just plain looks like shit, and the C8 looks like a fucking dumptruck. I love a big booty, but GOD DAMN that shit's built like a Pixar mom. The proportions are wayyyy off.

Let's be real for a second though, "fixing" all these new car flaws shouldn't be left in the hands of Kei Miura. They should be rolling out of the factory ready to be admired by kids of all ages. They should not have to roll straight into a garage to be torn apart and widebodied, kitted, and resprayed so we can stand the sight of them.

The one place Chevrolet was brave, was switching from FR. I applaud the effort there, but now they're just kinda left with a half-ass supercar that looks like it was sold out of the back of Lambroghini's bargain basement.

/sorry for the rant lol I'm just disappointed
Old 11-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #13556
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
/sorry for the rant lol I'm just disappointed
The rants are what I'm here for (lol). I could never see myself getting a "brand new" car and replacing/ modifying the exterior besides a basic lip kit. *Edit: A quality carbon fiber hood, or trunk is ok.

As for the CL7 comparison (which I also love). I think I was more trying to say that the base same year Accord looked a lot more plain vs the CL7. It would be nice if Honda could go back to that era, with the cool factory special model front lips, sideskirts and rear lips/ bumpers.

A Mugen SI model throwback would be interesting as well:

Last edited by BryanSayWhat; 11-20-2020 at 01:45 PM..
Old 11-19-2020, 11:17 PM   #13557
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I do like the FA9 civic a lot, although again very polarizing design. had an Si before I wrecked it and now daily a hybrid with some suspension parts & azenis rt660 tires. love that car.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #13558
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
This is pretty big for only gaining less than 20lbs. Subaru increased the 2015 WRX STI torsional rigidity by 40% and the bending rigidity by 30%, so it's good to see them keeping up with that for new cars.

Also, is it 100% confirmed that there will be no turbo option? Didn't we already know they were going to have an NA model as well? It will be an absolute shame if this NA 2.4L doesn't at least have the same strength internals as the current FA24F...

As for the exterior... Front bumper side vents aren't the greatest, but it does look better in blue. They almost look like teardrops... Hopefully it isn't a sign that the cars are crying, because they didn't come with a turbo option. lol
Nothing is ever set in stone, but I doubt there will be a factory turbo version, the car is just too low volume to justify multiple engine choices. Luckily, Ascents and turbo Outbacks are showing up at wrecker yards in large enough numbers that you can make it turbo if you so desire. Stock for stock, it's 32 more HP, and almost 100 more lb-ft of torque (+93lb-ft). The Ascent version has 10.6:1 CR so something in there is different. I'd guess pistons if I had to put some money on it, and they're probably less robust.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #13559
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

With dual injection and constantly varying intake and exhaust cams I don't think the FA much cares about compression ratios. Modern engine tech makes our old Nissans look stupid.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #13560
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I like the VW tail lights on the new Civic, I saw a better comparison on FB but couldn't find it.

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote