Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
adictd2b00st
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
adictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to adictd2b00st
vlsd swap question, please confirm

Ok so i have a base model s14, open diff / 4 lug from the factory...... i'm in the process of swapping in a s13 vlsd from a canadian model 240. Now i know that i need an ABS driveshaft to deal with the longer "snout" on the vlsd, but my question is can i use an s13 ABS driveshaft or does it need to be an s14 driveshaft? I found one local to me but i just want to confirm before i buy it that it will actually work, thanks! FWIW i have an sr, but i've read the ka/sr driveshafts are identical anyways.

**EDIT**

ok i did find this with searching a bit today.......

"I have not personally measured the S13 vs S14 front piece but have seen both pieces and I know you cannot use a S13 (front piece) driveshaft (becasue of the bulky rubber insulator) into a S14 tranny without changing the sleeve yoke dust cover (to accomodate the bulky rubber insulator) or atleast trim it down. But the drives shaft are literally the same except for the second part of the drive shaft (longer section) which is different lenghts for ABS vs non-ABS."

*****2nd EDIT*****
but i'm im running an s13 redtop motor/tranny, that means i COULD use the s13 driveshaft, if indeed the only hangup was the front piece which goes into the trans???

so by that, it seems it IS possible, with a bit of modification? has anyone actually done this before?

Last edited by adictd2b00st; 06-11-2008 at 07:40 AM..
adictd2b00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
No, no, and no.

Driveshaft matches the chassis. S14 chassis, S14 driveshaft. Nothing else matters.

They both fit either transmission because the transmission is the same. 89-98, KA, SR, CA, whatever, they're all the exact same rear case.

The only thing you'll need to do when putting an S13 diff into an S14 is swap the rear cover and use the forward S13 mounting bolts. The S13 diff does not have bushings and therefore will not use the S14 hardware.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
adictd2b00st
Zilvia Addict

adictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to beholdadictd2b00st is a splendid one to behold
ahhh, ok thanks for clearing that up! good thing i didn't go ahead and buy an s13 driveshaft last nite that was local. pos rep for you
Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
97KATURBOSILVIA
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (-1)
97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light97KATURBOSILVIA is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Instead of buying a stock drive shaft since your in the market, find a 1 piece drive shaft. Sounds like you have a good build going why no continue it. Just for kicks though i put an abs vlsd in my s14 and used my existing driveshaft. Its tight but not that tight, still should do the 1 piece though. GL
97KATURBOSILVIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
adictd2b00st
Zilvia Addict

yea i'm actually looking at that now, even if i get a 1 piece steel driveshaft it would be worthwhile .... there is a place locally that build them and said it would be ~$200 i'm probably going to go ahead and get one
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
twistedsymphony
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
twistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
going aluminum on the DS will not only help you reduce the weight of the car overall but weight savings on rotating drivetrain components see 10x the benefits... an aluminum shaft will likely run you $350 or $400 but you'll see a lot more benefit out of it.

if you're really baller you can run a carbon fiber driveshaft

twistedsymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
rebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rebornS14
i got the 1 piece steel from driveshaftshop and its so much lighter than stock. it feels like having a lightened flywheel almost.

oh yea and yea, the ^ guys right. i have a s14 with s13 SR and of course you use a s14 driveshaft. it goes with the car, not the motor in this case. +1 ProjectRDM
rebornS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
dino6192
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
also check the bolt pattern on that diff. my VLSD was a 5 bolt, which means your six bolt open axels will have to be swaped out as well. I'm not sure what bolt pattern your running but just a heads up to check that as well before you go to put your new one in and "oh sh!t the axels are different"
dino6192 is offline   Reply With Quote