Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
trigjones
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
trigjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cali Road Trip!

Ok, so I'm looking for some pointers from some locals, and seems lots of people from Cali on on here. My (female) friend from Portland, and me (from Seattle) are planning on driving down from Portland, and stop at the following cities.
1. San Francisco (never been)
2. Santa Barbara (been once, sister lives there)
3. Los Angeles (been once, stayed in Inglewood but mostly hung out solo at Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray, Venice, my host was working when I was there, and didn't go anywhere cool)
4. End in San Diego (never been)

I've got friends I can stay with/hang with in every city but L.A.

I thought about driving my hatch, but it'd be $500 in gas, and I could rent a Prius and including car rental fees and gas spend about the same. Granted, its not cool, but I want something you can nap in, quiet, and with a smooth ride.

So, figured I could see what is worth seeing along the way and in all the major cities. I'm taking as much time off as I want, basic plan is 2 days drive time round trip, and two days in each city. I'm planning on taking Highway 1 all the way down from San Fran.

I'm not really into tourist crap, I don't want to see the Star Walk, any of the Hollywood stuff. Real local ish, hikes, nightclubs or awesome bars to see live shows. Small towns to see along the way. Anything and everything to make this trip epic.

Speaking of, advantages/disadvantages over renting a boring hybrid vs my own car. Also, make it a group thing with a few friends or just me and chica?

Last edited by trigjones; 02-27-2011 at 04:23 PM..
trigjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
When are you going to be doing this?

I like the idea of renting, at about the same overall cost, you're going to be more comfortable, and in a newer, more reliable (hopefully) car. At least you won't be paying for the repairs if something breaks does break down. Also you won't be worrying about when and where you'll be able to stop for gas.

and I wouldn't put very much effort into skipping the "touristy" stuff. There are legitimate reasons that people fly around the world to see things like Disneyland, San Diego Zoo etc.

A nice suggestion if you want to take a day out of your San Diego time, go out into the desert. Anza Borrego state park is a really cool place to explore. I would recommend the desert palm oasis hike.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

blingbling is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like its going to be a blast. I think that honestly, going with the prius is a better idea. Hold off on putting all those miles on your car. Especially if the costs are equivalent.
blingbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
trigjones
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicecreamdan View Post
When are you going to be doing this?

and I wouldn't put very much effort into skipping the "touristy" stuff. There are legitimate reasons that people fly around the world to see things like Disneyland, San Diego Zoo etc.

A nice suggestion if you want to take a day out of your San Diego time, go out into the desert. Anza Borrego state park is a really cool place to explore. I would recommend the desert palm oasis hike.
I'm going in March, probably around the 15th. Friend isn't working right now, I'm now in a slightly more flexible schedule situation. She's hoping to find a job by April, I'd prefer going when its gonna be much sunnier, like June, but it still looks like the weather down south will be around 70.

The zoo in Hawaii was the best experience of the entire trip when I was there with my ex. The only part I dislike is the massive crowds, but I'm sure we might hit Disneyland just to do it. I just would probably avoid the celebrity-focused stuff in LA.

Worth hitting all the little towns along Hwy 1, Monterey, Santa Cruz, etc?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
holisticbeatz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
holisticbeatz is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I kinda want to do a road trip opposite of yours. I'm going to start in LA and head north to Seattle.

Anyhow, you should check out the AAA website, they have pretty good recommendations for places to eat and stay. They put out a magazine called Westways every month and it's jammed packed with worthy travel articles.

Also, as for renting a Prius vs. driving your S13, I'm going to vote neither. Once you hit PCH, you're going to want to be in a fun car. Try to get yourself a new Honda Fit, they're good on gas and somewhat sporty to drive.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
trigjones
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by holisticbeatz View Post
I kinda want to do a road trip opposite of yours. I'm going to start in LA and head north to Seattle.

Also, as for renting a Prius vs. driving your S13, I'm going to vote neither. Once you hit PCH, you're going to want to be in a fun car. Try to get yourself a new Honda Fit, they're good on gas and somewhat sporty to drive.

Good luck!
Oh the PCH. I love that road. Although last trip it was from LA to Santa Barbara, in a new Camaro SS, and I was stuck in the freaking back. Zero view the entire way. On the way back my brother was driving drunk going 150+, I kept hoping we would see CHP and I'd be saved from a high speed crash. I'll look for a Fit, something punchy would be fun. Or a mustang 'vert.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

blingbling is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigjones View Post
Oh the PCH. I love that road. Although last trip it was from LA to Santa Barbara, in a new Camaro SS, and I was stuck in the freaking back. Zero view the entire way. On the way back my brother was driving drunk going 150+, I kept hoping we would see CHP and I'd be saved from a high speed crash. I'll look for a Fit, something punchy would be fun. Or a mustang 'vert.

The fam rented a mustang vert when I was in hawaii. Not a bad rental although I thrashed it.
blingbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
slidewinder240
Zilvia Member

slidewinder240 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude!!! i hella wanna go! but i hav skool. if this was during the summer and i had a good running car, i wud go furshur. this is something that we shud do every year.
slidewinder240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
u shud come hang out in santee with me and a friend. its in east county san diego. its really a one of a kind place. atleast ive never been anywhere else like it. its 4 sqr miles long so its not really big. and its a great environment to hang out in.

lmk and pm me if u wana chill when u come. im always down to meet new 240 ppl.