Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:13 AM   #1
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
KA on three cylinders

Just looking for confirmation on my diagnostic thinking.

Drove my car about three hours yesterday without incident. Stopped at a grocery store for 30 minutes, restarted, struggling to idle. Cylinder #3 was clearly dead (verified by pulling the plug wires one by one). Limped it home 15 minutes away, it never "kicked back in".

No smell of gas or smoke from the exhaust, and confirmed #3 is getting strong spark. I think #3 is getting no fuel.

I happened to find an injector noid that some previous mechanic lost down in the vacuum/water line nest under the intake runners while pulling the engine last time, so I tried that on the #3 injector pigtail and it didn't light up. That said, the noid might be bad; I haven't had the time to try it on a different cylinder that I know is firing. I'm going to do that first.

If the noid says #3 is getting no injector pulse, I think my next step is to check continuity from the ECU to the injector harness connector? My engine harness has a lot of crusty looking connectors, peeling tape, crumbling loom, etc. and this may be a sign to make that order to Wiring Specialties.

Or is the ECU itself suspect? Has anyone had a single ECU injector driver fail?
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2024, 08:34 PM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Never mind, it's gotta be the injector. The injector itself shows open circuit, should be about 12 ohm. I tested continuity on the harness, no problem from ECU connector to injector pigtail on both pins. Made a DIY test light out of an LED and a resistor and it pulsed strongly while cranking, so the crappy noid that I left in my "shitbox tool bag" goes in the trash. I am going to try a different ECU just to be sure (thx g6civcx) but I also have a couple spare sets of injectors to try first.

Double checked the spark plug, looked perfect. No signs of fouling.

I wonder if this is why the car always felt like it would misfire once or twice on initial crank.

Last edited by AKADriver; 03-12-2024 at 09:58 AM..
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote