Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
zcar88

Trader Rating: (0)
zcar88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Stock S14 SR20DET Blacktop...What to upgrade first?

Hello there,

I am new to this community. I have a 1973 240Z. About 2 years ago my buddy and I swapped out the F54 block for an S14 SR20DET Blacktop (purchased from McKinney Motorsports). The motor is completely stock. When I replaced the turbo gasket I noticed it said T-28, but I was under the impression that the T-25 was stock on these motors. Front mount intercooler, 3" downpipe, 3"exhaust, custom radiator w/ large fan. McKinney wired it up for me, did the piping, and put on the finishing touches. The car has run beautifully since the swap was done; now I'm finally ready to give my baby some extra power!

I was just wondering where I should start first in regards to increasing my horsepower. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Stevo
zcar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
upgrade to a gt2871r + 750cc injectors + z32 MAF sensor and a tune!
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Brian BK
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (-1)
Brian BK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
i have a maf for sale if intrested.
Brian BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Injectors/Z32 MAF/Tune and 15psi on the stock turbo would get you close to the 300whp mark. That amount of power in the light 240z chassis would make for a fun car. The T28 is stock on the S14 motors. Some are BB, some are journal bearing. They are good to about 15-16psi then they start to blow hot air after that. If you want to get into upgrading the turbo later in the future the 2871R or 2876R would be great canidates for a mild setup. Make sure that you buy larger than 550cc injectors if you plan on upgrading the turbo anytime soon. The 287xR turbos will get you to the mid 300 to low 400's depending on other supporting mods.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
zcar88

zcar88 is an unknown quantity at this point
SR

Thanks a lot guys, that is some definite food for thought. At the moment I'm in the process of doing bodywork and rust repair, sandblasting and powdercoating my undercarriage components, but I just wanted to get some ideas flowing for when that time comes.

Would I get much improvement from upgrading cams and possibly rocker arm stoppers? Do I need to change out my fuel rail if I put bigger injectors in? Is the T3/T4 a good turbo for the SR? Is there an advantage to running a blow-off valve w/ a t28 turbo?

Thanks for all the input fellas, it is greatly appreciated!

-Stevo
zcar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
boost addict
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
boost addict is making a name for him/her selfboost addict is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
as long as you get side feed injectors that will fit the sr20 fuel rail youll be good. cams will definitly help as long as you get tuned for them and everything else you have. some people say ras arent worth it but idk, i havent bought some yet but i think im going to. as far as tuning youll need look into nistune. its what im running and its a great piece for the price
boost addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
75 fogger setup

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Zcar, do some research before you get bashed man. There's tons of information on the site, you just have to spend the time to look for it. Cams aren't going to help you much on a stock turbo car. Upgrade the turbo then upgrade your cams.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
mat.roberts
Leaky Injector

mat.roberts is an unknown quantity at this point
CAMS! Cams make a huge difference on an sr20 i suggest anything from tome poncams to what im currently running their 260 procams and they are fun as f*** and anything jwt is awesome! have fun!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are alot of people in Diego, with similar setup's. You can go to some of the meets and ask a couple of the guys in person and see what worked for them. I had the same motor,and I thought just a stock motor would be good for awhile, since it's probably a big increase from what you had. If you have a upgraded pump, I'd turn the boost up to see how much you like it. For me the tuning made the biggest difference, I ended up with 250 to the wheels with 16psi Z32MAF 740cc inj FMIC Walbro and 260 with cams there wasn't a big noticeable change IMO. Some have made more but thats all I got. You don't need to change out the fuel rail, and I think most use RAS as a precaution. The dyno sheets are in the Steve Shadows thread.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
There are alot of people in Diego, with similar setup's. You can go to some of the meets and ask a couple of the guys in person and see what worked for them. I had the same motor,and I thought just a stock motor would be good for awhile, since it's probably a big increase from what you had. If you have a upgraded pump, I'd turn the boost up to see how much you like it. For me the tuning made the biggest difference, I ended up with 250 to the wheels with 16psi Z32MAF 740cc inj FMIC Walbro and 260 with cams there wasn't a big noticeable change IMO. Some have made more but thats all I got. You don't need to change out the fuel rail, and I think most use RAS as a precaution. The dyno sheets are in the Steve Shadows thread.
Like I said, on a stock turbo'd SR you aren't going to gain much with cams. That is why I suggested upgrading the turbo first, then throwing cams in at a later date. If anything you gained 10whp, but shifted the power curve to the right, increasing spool time and giving you more midrange power.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Like I said, on a stock turbo'd SR you aren't going to gain much with cams. That is why I suggested upgrading the turbo first, then throwing cams in at a later date. If anything you gained 10whp, but shifted the power curve to the right, increasing spool time and giving you more midrange power.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
mat.roberts
Leaky Injector

Srry guys i should of mentioned i meant cams after you. You get a turbo and some engine management but forget them cause cams change the game for usable power but that's just what i think but most people with them usually agree but Thats the fun of doing your own shit. Just do what you want man that way everyone can come up and say oh Thats different? Good luck
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
why facepalm someone who is correct?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
mayhemsurfer14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
mayhemsurfer14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcar88 View Post
Hello there,

I am new to this community. I have a 1973 240Z. About 2 years ago my buddy and I swapped out the F54 block for an S14 SR20DET Blacktop (purchased from McKinney Motorsports). The motor is completely stock. When I replaced the turbo gasket I noticed it said T-28, but I was under the impression that the T-25 was stock on these motors. Front mount intercooler, 3" downpipe, 3"exhaust, custom radiator w/ large fan. McKinney wired it up for me, did the piping, and put on the finishing touches. The car has run beautifully since the swap was done; now I'm finally ready to give my baby some extra power!

I was just wondering where I should start first in regards to increasing my horsepower. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

-Stevo
how much did you pay for that all ?
mayhemsurfer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
mayhemsurfer14
Leaky Injector

if you want power , i'd go with forged internals , most importantly aftermarket performance cams and pistons .
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhemsurfer14 View Post
if you want power , i'd go with forged internals , most importantly aftermarket performance cams and pistons .
if you want to increase your post count to sell stuff in the marketplace, give decent advice.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
mayhemsurfer14
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
if you want to increase your post count to sell stuff in the marketplace, give decent advice.
im not trying to sell anything , you should get a life and not talk shit on a car forum. Also go learn more about 240's if you dont know that forged internals , aftermarket cams and pistons would give him more horsepower.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
im not trying to sell anything , you should get a life and not talk shit on a car forum. Also go learn more about 240's if you dont know that forged internals , aftermarket cams and pistons would give him more horsepower.
oh no you didnt!!! u just walked into hell.. lol

OP
first, make sure you keep up maintaince and save up for good quality parts. dont be cheap and get knock off parts... i would say bigger injectors, z32 Maf, bump up the boost and a good tune... also a nice intercooler
No matter what you do, make sure you properly tune it.... have fun
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
mat.roberts
Leaky Injector

hahahaha mayhem codyace has been rocking this forum harder than almost all who live off it so respect!

second why would yo need to forge the bottom end and then put cams in it hahaha
i agree that forged would be an awesome investment...however for the cash bang for buck forged is never a realistic option for most especially when sr's prove to be very stout for the stock bottom end. btw what are you using the car for sir cause that really does dictate your mods. you have to ask questions like where do i want power, where do i need power, and how much do i want where. after you figure that out the path usually lays itself. also super important is tuning. you can have 100000's of $$$$ of parts but they will still blow with poor tuning. don't skimp out on engine management cause honestly yeah i know nobody in hell wants to dump 1000+ on a fucking ecru BUT thats until you actually have one. once you do the possibilities are endless as far as parts you can put on, and reliable fun power. think of iut this way. We are running these old as f*** motors on engine management created over 19 years ago. its kinda scary when you think about it and tuning has come a long way since then so give that a thought then go buy management. the car will feel 1000% better and way different you wont be let down.

Good luck !

btw codyace i found a manifold i want converted to external do you have time to do one? thanks bitches
Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #21
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Mayhem, you are quite wrong bud. Forged internals don't necessarily "give" you horsepower... They open the door and set the field to potentially make good amounts of power. However, just throwing forged pistons/rods in a bottomend is not going to up your stock power. You need the supporting mods to do take advantage of a built bottomend.

For most of the SR community, just getting a swap installed and running in a car is a feat in it's own. So, rebuilding a motor with forged internals might be and probably is out of the question for a lot of the owners.

With that said and the dick swinging out of the way, OP your best bet is to get what has been tried and true in the SR world of BPU's and a good tune.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #22
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
You should pay more attention in English class. I do not think the professor would like you posting from class.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #23
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
If you're on a budget I would go with the S15 T28 Turbo, you can always beef up the head with cams and get a really responsive 300 hp range out of the car with equal torque outputs. I always suggest to leave the intake manifolds stock on our cars however, most of time the gains in top end power come with a huge loss of low and mid-range and I think it's just not worth it...
Old 06-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #24
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
If you're on a budget I would go with the S15 T28 Turbo, you can always beef up the head with cams and get a really responsive 300 hp range out of the car with equal torque outputs. I always suggest to leave the intake manifolds stock on our cars however, most of time the gains in top end power come with a huge loss of low and mid-range and I think it's just not worth it...
That's basically what he has right now. What's with all this shitty advice, even from people that should know better?

Get 740cc injectors, Z32 MAF, and an Enthalpy tune then turn up the boost to 16 psi. That'll give you close to 300 rwhp, and a ton of midrange torque.

If you want more after that, a set of drop in cams and a GT2871R turbo will get you in the 350-400 rwhp range.