Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #31
ukyo01

Trader Rating: (0)
ukyo01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What kind of diagnosis can be done on a dyno? since I know it can be a little pricey
ukyo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #32
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
Nah, not expensive at all. What state do you live in? I recommend going to a shop that has a dyno and seeing what they charge. When they strap that car on, you can play with the gas and see where the noise is coming from, since the dyno will simulate load. It has to spin a giant cylinder after all. Think about that for a sec. Since you can't have anyone sitting in your engine bay while you are driving down the street...

For example, RT Tuning in PA charges $60 for 3 runs w their wideband O2. So how much can a shop charge for diagnosing a noise? Only take a few minutes. If you're a customer at a shop, most will do it free. None should charge you more than $50 for playing with the throttle on a dyno..

You could also put the ass in the air, car in gear, and play with it while it's in the air, but I really don'y recommend it.

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #33
ukyo01

Okay so I did some diagnosing, and I found the source of the noise, I listened to it with a stethoscope and its definitely coming from the circled area.

So what can it be? I was thinking maybe the chain is hitting the chain guide?

Anyone have any idea? and how would I go about fixing this.

Thanks for any input you have.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #34
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo01 View Post
So what can it be? I was thinking maybe the chain is hitting the chain guide.
Yea, very very likely.

Remove valve cover, remove two 12mm bolts and it comes off. Re-install Valve Cover. Done.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
ukyo01

are you saying the chain guide is unnecessary?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #36
ukyo01

Is it safe to remove the chain guide on the very top? or perhaps a new tentioner will make the chain tighter and will prevent the chain from hitting the guide?

Thanks for the input
Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #37
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Safe to remove the one on the top between the cams. If the chain hits the valve cover after this you need a new tensioner and possibly a timing chain job/kit.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #38
ukyo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Safe to remove the one on the top between the cams. If the chain hits the valve cover after this you need a new tensioner and possibly a timing chain job/kit.
Okay I'll remove that tentioner and see if it the noise goes away, and if it does ill keep a close ear to hear if it starts hitting the valve cover after a while.

Thanks everyone for your help, ill be back with updates.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #39
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No, remove the guide on top between the cams, not the tensioner.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #40
ukyo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
No, remove the guide on top between the cams, not the tensioner.
thats what i meant my bad!
no no dont worry im not gonna take no tentioner off :P

I was told by someone its not safe to remove the guide because it keep the chain from skipping?

anyone can confirm this?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #41
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo01 View Post
thats what i meant my bad!
no no dont worry im not gonna take no tentioner off :P

I was told by someone its not safe to remove the guide because it keep the chain from skipping?

anyone can confirm this?
If it helps you any the KA and SR from the MCS14(Kouki) do not have them on the engines exactly because of this problem.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #42
ukyo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post
If it helps you any the KA and SR from the MCS14(Kouki) do not have them on the engines exactly because of this problem.
Good to know, because when I took off the valve cover and removed the chain guide to take a look at it you could see the lines that the chain embedded into the guide, I ordered a new tentioner and Ill see if it fixes the problem, if it doesnt then Ill probably take it off.

Thanks so much for the info, and I'll be back with updates.

Cheers