Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #511
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki_s14 View Post
The oil pumps dont go out, it is the cranks that have a small contact patch with the oil pump. The small contact eventually wears out from high horsepower or high RPM and stops driving the pump. Late model R32, R33 and R34 RB26s did not have this problem.
Which is a vibrations problem.

I saw a guy with an R33(I think) RB26DETT in his 240Z(sweet car), and he ate an N1 oil pump. I think he was turning 9k RPM, making about 700rwhp. Thing was as fast as Star Mazda around TWS - shame to see him leave.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #512
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
IT'S BEEN A WEEK ALREADY!

Anything new?? I'm almost obsessing over this as much as the Transformers and GT5 threads. hahaha
Old 03-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #513
DJButton
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
DJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJButton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewman View Post
i had a jun crank collar on my last RB
Nice I need to get a collar for mine still.

Not a vibrations problem really just a small contact patch so eventually it stops spinning the pump which shears the pump from the heat.

New website! http://www.fujiispl.com
Post up YOUR CAR! http://www.rimtuck.com/
DJButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #514
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ctnewman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
IT'S BEEN A WEEK ALREADY!

Anything new?? I'm almost obsessing over this as much as the Transformers and GT5 threads. hahaha
just tinkering with bodywork still. sit tight!

in the meantime, istarted uploading content to:
http://onyxsyndicate.com/Newman/

i've got about 50% of the posts up.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:21 AM   #515
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Cars, Snowboarding, Building cool shit, Playing Drums
Dude....you are a slightly older version of me!!!!!!!!!! I'm currently studying M.E. as well. Now lets see some more progress on this beast!
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #516
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
soooo...

you mold them lines?
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #517
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Updated! (i know it goes back to page 06 when you click next. that's because the link says 60, but since it corrects errors, it goes to 06 instead)

http://www.onyxsyndicate.com/Newman/...e30gtr_59.html

Old 03-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #518
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJButton View Post
Nice I need to get a collar for mine still.

Not a vibrations problem really just a small contact patch so eventually it stops spinning the pump which shears the pump from the heat.
I guarantee you the temperature the crank/oil gears run at doesn't reduce their strength any measurable amount. If you're shearing things off a rotating assembly after some period of time, it is 99.999999% of the time a vibrations problem. The load of spinning the oil pump isn't that much, the load of an assembly vibrating around against another piece can spike quite high and cause fretting and eventually fatigue failure.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #519
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I guarantee you the temperature the crank/oil gears run at doesn't reduce their strength any measurable amount. If you're shearing things off a rotating assembly after some period of time, it is 99.999999% of the time a vibrations problem. The load of spinning the oil pump isn't that much, the load of an assembly vibrating around against another piece can spike quite high and cause fretting and eventually fatigue failure.
I disagree. Loading the drive gear off-center AND partially is a huge stress riser.

Inline 6 cylinders are very well balanced.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #520
MeSs
Zilvia Junkie

MeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura aboutMeSs has a spectacular aura about
Is the cage finished?? looks abit low.. Sorry if im wrong, i havent read the whole thread.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #521
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSs View Post
Is the cage finished?? looks abit low.. Sorry if im wrong, i havent read the whole thread.
cage is low. I took it to a reputable chassis builder and came highly recommended, too. He builds full tube chassis cars all day. I think he rushed through my cage, which is a major bummer. Live and learn i guess.

http://www.onyxsyndicate.com/Newman/...e30gtr_46.html
Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #522
DJButton
Zilvia Junkie

DJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfection
Ehh, like you say live and learn, cage is a little low, but long as you fit with some clearence for your head shouldn't be too bad, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Well I'm not gonna argue with you and clutter up this fantastic build thread, I disagree but no hard feelings. Back to the awesome BMW.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #523
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJButton View Post
Ehh, like you say live and learn, cage is a little low, but long as you fit with some clearence for your head shouldn't be too bad, right?
Driver seat will have plenty of head clearance, passenger seat had to be kind of high due to tunnel interference. Anyone taller than I am (5'-9") will run the risk of having their head close to the cage.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #524
SoarerTurbo

SoarerTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Very cool project. Sorry if i missed it but what are you hp goals?
SoarerTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #525
DJButton
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Driver seat will have plenty of head clearance, passenger seat had to be kind of high due to tunnel interference. Anyone taller than I am (5'-9") will run the risk of having their head close to the cage.
Good stuff, hopefully I'll get to see it on the track at some point.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #526
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
I disagree. Loading the drive gear off-center AND partially is a huge stress riser.

Inline 6 cylinders are very well balanced.
Balance has nothing to do with torsional vibrations. You are speaking of external vibrations anyway, which is not what I'm talking about.

The crank twists back and forth like a tuning fork vibrates, which is why the factory puts on a harmonic damper(i.e. the crank pulley).

Let me put it this way, you externally spin the engine to 8000 RPM and the oil pump gears won't feel much load at all. You start running the engine and the torsional vibrations in the crank will rise and fall according to the 2nd order mechanical response of the engine's rotating assembly. This vibration GREATLY loads things.

Yes, the structural design of the gear probably isn't ideal, but the reason why it is failing is because it can't put up with the stresses it experiences due to torsional vibrations. It's probably easier to calm TVs on the crank than to make things strong enough to deal with an unfavorable vibrations environment.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #527
thetopcow
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
thetopcow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok, back to the build enough with the sidetracked torsional vibrations stuff. It sounds like an interesting topic but, start another tread about it. I bet other on here will have good info to contribute.
thetopcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #528
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

http://www.onyxsyndicate.com/Newman/...e30gtr_60.html

updates...

Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #529
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
cool.
u gonna paint the interior in some wackydoodle way that nobody else has tried yet? I can just see you finding a way to make heat resistant plush velvet spray on floorpan coatings, or astroturf is always a good thing, lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #530
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

haha, interior and cage are just going to be painted bodycolor.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #531
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Actually, a glow-in-the-dark cage would be phenomenal.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #532
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
Actually, a glow-in-the-dark cage would be phenomenal.
that's such a good idea.
http://www.mimousa.com/cii-lite.asp
Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #533
twofourzerosx
BANNED

twofourzerosx can only hope to improve
weekend updates?
twofourzerosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 AM   #534
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

i was in houston for the past 7 days for work, and i'm relocating again... long story.

but expect paint on the car in the next 2 weeks.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #535
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
Can't wait for paint!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #536
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

checking trans/seat fitment. LOL...

http://www.onyxsyndicate.com/Newman/...e30gtr_61.html

Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #537
SmittyDa3rd

Trader Rating: (1)
SmittyDa3rd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SmittyDa3rd Send a message via MSN to SmittyDa3rd
newman were you on the QEW headin towards toronto this morning in your lotus?
SmittyDa3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #538
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ I believe he sold the Lotus for the Range Rover.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #539
SmittyDa3rd

Trader Rating: (1)
SmittyDa3rd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SmittyDa3rd Send a message via MSN to SmittyDa3rd
my bad...seen a red lotus with a new york licence plate..sorrrryy
SmittyDa3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #540
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

progress slowed, had to strip down my sti transmission:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1497692