Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Help me bro. Trucks and tow stuff.

I am looking around for a beater truck/vehicle that I can use to haul my car around to events and such.

Right now I have no idea. Maybe something like a 1990~ toyota pickup like a t100.

I heard those little 22re's are workhorses and will get me to where I'm going (eventually) and still yield good gas mileage. Maybe the v6 version?

Ideally it would be around $3k.

Or throw down more for a v6 96+ 4runner?

I know nothing about trucks. I just need something to get my car around.

Also, feel free to post up your trucks and whatever tickles your inner bro.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
The little 22RE will NOT be able to pull your car around from what I know. I had a 1994 Toyota Pickup, which is basically like a little t100 type truck, and just the weight to pull a car is too much for it. Yes they are workhorses and are the most reliable motor I've ever seen, but not so sure about towing things with it. I would grab something with at least a 6 cylinder
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
lou's40sx
BANNED

Trader Rating: (54)
lou's40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
22R's and RE's are great. My friend's friend is selling an 85" or 84" and it's a 4x4, repainted, the car has like 70,000k or so original miles on it. Clean, lifted a bit, I believe original owner. Wants $3,000 ish.

It's a fair price, but I am a sub-baller so it was pricey for me.

**Sub-baller = Under Low-baller.
lou's40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
aoiken3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
aoiken3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i dont have a truck but i use the folk's 05 odyssey with a hitch i installed to tow my 240 around.

got the hitch at thehitchstore.com. great product and customer service
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a 96 4 runner has a max tow capacity of 3500lbs.

That's not enough to tow a car. It may work for like local events but the brakes, suspension etc on the truck are not upto spec and your average open car trailer weighs about 1300-2000 lbs depending on what the deck is made out of. An aluminum one is nice but usually double the price. 2400lb 240.. + 1500lb of trailer is gonna put you in 4000lb range.

Best bang for your buck in your budget range was something we got. Old ford work vans. We bought a 2001 E350 Ford work van with like 178k on it. They've got long wheel base, the beefy 1 ton HD transmission, real brakes.. and the rear bumper tow hitch is rated to 7500lbs. Prewired for trailer for 3k. Hard to beat and makes a perfect car hauler vehicle.

Other than that, an old chevy pickup is your next bet. Most v6 vehicles won't get you 4000lbs. I mean they may do it.. a couple of times... but they won't do it forever.. and last thing you need is your tow vehicle breaking down on you.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
You gotta V8 bro.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Drifto95

Trader Rating: (2)
Drifto95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would probably get ford explorer, they are cheap.
Drifto95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
altalti
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
altalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifto95 View Post
I would probably get ford explorer, they are cheap.
Can you say blown up transmission. Those things have crappy transmissions and rear ends wouldn't last 3 months towing a 240 100+ miles a week.
altalti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
stevenwhite1989
Zilvia Member

stevenwhite1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldnt do the toyota unless it is a V6, but if i was you and all you are doing is hauling, find an old F150, or jeeps with the straight 6, may not be good on gas but its going to be reliable, and tow whatever you need. Plus you could prob find one for pretty cheap
Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
sub9lulu
Zilvia Junkie

sub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by altalti View Post
Can you say blown up transmission. Those things have crappy transmissions and rear ends wouldn't last 3 months towing a 240 100+ miles a week.
the rear diff is fine
ford 8.8 last forever
tranny on the other hand
sub9lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
A few things to look at

1. Are you towing with a car dolley, open deck trailer, or enclosed

2. Make SURE you know the capacity of the above, and it's weight. If you have an open deck trailer, they obviously make good/bad/mid range types, and weights very between them all.

3. How far are you towing/how often?

Ultimately speaking, your best best would be to find (at least) an 1/2 ton (f150/1500 truck, or similar capacity vehicles, like Expeditions, or Suburbans. This way you have a decent vehicle to tow with, but also a vehicle that has brakes to support the towing, as well as the actual usability of it them. Sure the fuel milage will be a little worse than a v6 oriented truck, but when towing you'll have the good power to pull, instead of ruining that small engine.

Now there is also another option

If you don't tow much, check local borough auctions and similar type things. YOu can often find old 3/4 ton trucks/vans or even emergency vehicles (old ambulances are great tow rigs, tons of room!) for almost nothing.

Sorry for being long winded, but with a truck(and trailer) safety is key. A v6 small pickup is not ideal for towing anything this side of a lawn trailer

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Do not get a 22r / RE to tow with.. My dad has a 89 yota with a 22re turbo and it was a pain in the ass to tow my car up Banning pass. If your looking for a tow truck you got to go V8 gas is going to suck but its a tow truck.

You can get a early 90's f150 HD with a 351 for less then $3k or a 90's chevy silverado with a 350 for $3k-$4k.

Find out your over all tongue weight and go from there. Most small trucks cant tow over 1600lbs

I dont know your location but some links to help

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...772114241.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...772102054.html

just for the lol's

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...766286568.html

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Thanks for the input bro's.

Cody, a Ford Expedition was another possibility on my list, with the 5.4 triton v8 or whatever. Only thing that scared me was the amount of people who had replaced the transmissions by 70~100k miles.

So that would also put the Dodge Durango into play. They have like a 5.9 Magnum v8. That seems cool enough. I would like to get an astro rape van, but that seems too ghetto to daily around for me.

That's what appeals to me about the Expedition/Durango. They are just like a F150/Ram, but able to carry more like one passenger comfortably.

The hardest part of towing would be going through the Grapevine.

Sucks to hear the 4runner can't do a good job. Would be nice to not go completely broke on fuel. hahahah
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
if you dont want to go broke on fuel dont go durango haha. i'd try to find an old 3500 work van or something similar that you can put tools and stuff inside/sleep in and have it locked up.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
sub9lulu
Zilvia Junkie

sub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-known
LSx > * gas engine

u can probably find a 2wd v8 for under 4k
anything newer than 2000 will work

2001 GMC Sierra / Chevy Silverado Super Cab SLE Z71 +Bedcover
sub9lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
thats a good fucking deal
Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #17
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
I use a Ram 1500. Can tow just about anything except for a full size enclosed trailer.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #18
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Not sure what they are going for now, but I have a 97 E350 with a powerstroke. Got it for $9k like 5 years ago so they must be a lot cheaper now. The thing pulls like a rapped ape! Holds a ton of stuff. Plus you can sleep in the back at the track!

TougeHero.com l SilviaV8forums.com
0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #19
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute0100 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Ford Bus

Dually, diesel, runs on vegetable oil, party tow rig. Buy it!!

TougeHero.com l SilviaV8forums.com
0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Yeah, those rape vans are pretty cool.
This one is tits.

I was going to buy a 00` f250xl Super duty with the extended cab, but the banks closed too early. So now I have to wait till Monday and hope dude doesn't sell it.

RAGE

Anyways, I would like to raise it up, but then once I do that I have to get one of those hitch drop things, and that murders my tow rating from like 6000 or whatever to like 900. hahahah
Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
Motoskin
Leaky Injector

Motoskin is an unknown quantity at this point
i believe to tow a car on an auto transport you'd at least need a 1 ton truck.. anything else is insufficient
Motoskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #22
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoskin View Post
i believe to tow a car on an auto transport you'd at least need a 1 ton truck.. anything else is insufficient
I believe you're wrong... weight is weight... look up half ton tow ratings..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
coww-cho!!!!!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
coww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the roughcoww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the roughcoww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the roughcoww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the roughcoww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the roughcoww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the roughcoww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the roughcoww-cho!!!!! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to coww-cho!!!!!
there was already a thread on this, i forgot what the verdict was but it was generally in your money range. also, my dad had a t-100 yea there ok trucks. the timing chain and i think head gaskets went out on them often, and people usually do swaps into them for more reliablilty, but they are hard to find since most use them as work trucks like doing landscapes and such. if i find the thread ill post it on here to help ya out

edit: found some threads.

http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/2...eed-truck.html

http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/2...g-vehicle.html

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/136430-who-...ut-towing.html

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/131148-what...-your-car.html
**CoUpe LOve** #3

Last edited by coww-cho!!!!!; 06-06-2010 at 01:28 PM..
coww-cho!!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #24
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Ford FTW. Mel you may remember my Rape Van I had a few years ago, '86 Ford E350 with a 7.6L V8. Thing was a monster. Gas mileage was SHITTY, but It got me to hella events.

Upgraded to my Excursion last year. Superballer tow vehicle. Nice inside and spacious.

Also my trailer is for sale very very soon if you're lookin for a flatbed trailer modified for lowered cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Yeah, I remember that thing; can't forget it being as how it helped save my ass.

Execution would be nice, but a bit too big for the city. So next step down would be an Expedition.

But my inner bro is pushing for a f250 or a silverado/sierra. Something extended cab. Just trying to wait out and see what pops up before I rush into something that needs more attention than the car is it hauling.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #26
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Yeah, I remember that thing; can't forget it being as how it helped save my ass.

Execution would be nice, but a bit too big for the city. So next step down would be an Expedition.

But my inner bro is pushing for a f250 or a silverado/sierra. Something extended cab. Just trying to wait out and see what pops up before I rush into something that needs more attention than the car is it hauling.
Lol yea and that was before the trailer mods so we had to get a running start to push your shit onto the trailer. If you ever need a tow, offer is always there.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #27
SinGarage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
SinGarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Old rapist vans are the best specially if it's diesel. I think ford has the 7.9 liter powerstroke. You can tow your toy and have all the spare rims/tires with tools in the back. You can lock those up and go race.
SinGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #28
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
^
exactly what i told him.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #29
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
I use a '99 Ford Expedition with the 4.6L Triton V8. Really has no problems towing uphill on the 5 going to willow, just a little slow. Plenty of torque and it has pretty decent gas mileage. I could make it to willow and back while towing my 240 on a trailer in one tank. 200 mile round trip. I love it so far, only thing is the brakes. They could be better, then again I don't have a brake controller yet for the trailer. I know... it's bad. haha.
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #30
!Zar!
Post Whore!

That is the original SUV I was looking at, but after reading about how they had transmission issues it made me kind of iffy. How's your mpg?