Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
kriptix
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
kriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
s13 S13 Cruise Control w/ Aftermarket Steering Wheel

I got bored this weekend and decided to fix my cruise control in my S13. Here's how if anyone is missing their cruise control for long drives...

Tools/Parts Required:
Phillips Screwdriver
Wire cutter/crimper
Wire stripper
Male/Female crimp connectors
Old steering wheel (for the buttons)
Dremel or Utility knife
Hot glue gun or JB quick weld

1. Take the button assembly out of the steering wheel
2. Cut the connector off the button assembly and crimp on 3 male connectors
3. Remove the screws for the kick panel under the steering column
(You do not have to take it all the way out, you can just drop it down)
4. Remove screws for steering column/ignition lock cover
(4 up front and 2 in the back)
5. Remove the lower cover
6. Remove 3 pin connector at the bottom of the turn/wiper switch assembly
7. Cut or strip the wires on the connector. Solder wire and/or crimp on 3 female connectors to harness and plug it back into the switch assembly.

8. Pop the back cover off of the cruise control switch and trace it to make a template for the switch hole.
9. Use the dremel or utility knife to carefully cut a hole on the outside of the trace.
10. Hot glue or JB weld switch into the hole.

11. Connect the wires:
Switch Yellow -> Harness Green/White
Switch White -> Harness Green/Orange
Switch Green -> Harness Green/Yellow

12. Put everything back

That's It.

- Victor

Last edited by kriptix; 08-06-2007 at 05:58 PM..
kriptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
SexPanda
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
I would have mounted it somewhere besides there, but other than that ok write up.

But was all the wire cutting seriously necessary? Couldnt you have just cut the wires from the 3 button assembly, made them longer, and mounted the 3 button assembly somewhere a little easier to access?
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
kriptix
Leaky Injector

kriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enoughkriptix will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanda View Post
I would have mounted it somewhere besides there, but other than that ok write up.

But was all the wire cutting seriously necessary? Couldnt you have just cut the wires from the 3 button assembly, made them longer, and mounted the 3 button assembly somewhere a little easier to access?
Yes I could have mounted it elsewhere. I like where it is now, it doesn't get in the way and you don't really need to see it to use it. Wire cutting is not necessary... you can strip them and solder on wires with connectors, but cutting is easier, as there is no other use for the connectors.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Yeah i suppose your right. I just took apart my dash today trying to figure out why my instrument panel still isnt lighting up, and I now have hands-on knowledge with all the wires back there lol.

So how long did it take for you to do all this? I'd say about 2 hours, but I suck at timing out jobs. Im thinking about getting a new steering wheel because my old one is leather, and its damn near rotting in my hands.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
kriptix
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanda View Post
Yeah i suppose your right. I just took apart my dash today trying to figure out why my instrument panel still isnt lighting up, and I now have hands-on knowledge with all the wires back there lol.

So how long did it take for you to do all this? I'd say about 2 hours, but I suck at timing out jobs. Im thinking about getting a new steering wheel because my old one is leather, and its damn near rotting in my hands.
Lol... thats how my steering wheel was. Then I got a MOMO and it made it all better. It took me about 2 hours total. Takes about an hour to take everything apart, cut the hole, connect the wires and put everything back. I used JB Quick Weld Glue so it took 30 min for the glue to dry, and it probably took me about 30 min to figure out the wires... I tried to look the diagram up but the colors are different. So I had to guess and check.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
SexPanda
Post Whore!

The only think I dont like about the aftermarket steering wheels are the adaptor plate things. If I got one, Id have to do something fiberglassy about that. Well, thanks for the info!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
proj240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
proj240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
lol nice write up bro. too bad i never had cruise control to begin with =)

90 RPS1345 hybrid thingy & 01 IS300
proj240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
jrocslider
Zilvia FREAK!

jrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfection
great write up. i tried searching the tech threads for this but never really found anything that helped. this is what i was looking for because i'm getting ready to do this. if i get it done soon i'll post pics.

+rep
jrocslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
MURPHY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
MURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfectionMURPHY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MURPHY
sweeettt. i'm reinstalling my cruise control stuff then

+rep'd
MURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #10
sikkk240
Zilvia Junkie

sikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond reputesikkk240 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sikkk240
sweet. ive been wondering.

+1
sikkk240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
UfoZ8myCow
Zilvia FREAK!

UfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond repute
Cool dude... Im doing that when I install my new steering wheel.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
thanks i just used it, gonna install it now.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i might do this when my wheel and hubs come in.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
twofortyrida1388
Zilvia Addict

twofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura abouttwofortyrida1388 has a spectacular aura about
Damn hicas. I followed his instructions and noticed my connector had like 12 wires instead of 3. It had 2 green with yellow strip and when I grounded the green w/ white stripe the horn would beep. WTF?!?!?? I finally got it working and mounted it under the hazard button. Thanks a lot though this helped tons.

Boost Coming soon...
twofortyrida1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
?coupe240¿
Leaky Injector

?coupe240¿ is a jewel in the rough?coupe240¿ is a jewel in the rough?coupe240¿ is a jewel in the rough?coupe240¿ is a jewel in the rough?coupe240¿ is a jewel in the rough?coupe240¿ is a jewel in the rough?coupe240¿ is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ?coupe240¿ Send a message via MSN to ?coupe240¿
+1 good write up
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
jrocslider
Zilvia FREAK!

jrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfection
this was easy thanks to the write up. i did it last week in probably about an hour. i'll try and get sum pics up today or later on this week. it came out looking pretty good.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #17
jrocslider
Zilvia FREAK!

pics of mine... thanks for the write up
Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 AM   #18
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
For some reason mine doesnt work, the light turns on saying that cruise control is working but it doesnt do anything when i push "Set".

Maybe my auto Ecu might be the culprit?

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #19
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
would this apply to the s14 as well?
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #20
LongGrain
Post Whore!

LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
w00t, this is a life saver, i cant wait to have my CC back lol.
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #21
Bobafreak
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
Bobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
thank you for the write up. subscribe for later use. +1
Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 AM   #22
gunmetalrps
Leaky Injector

gunmetalrps will become famous soon enoughgunmetalrps will become famous soon enoughgunmetalrps will become famous soon enough
one question.

the wires on my oem cc buttons are red, blue, and yellow...

which one goes where i.e green/yellow, green/white, green/orange...
gunmetalrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #23
SRdSil8T
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
SRdSil8T is a jewel in the roughSRdSil8T is a jewel in the roughSRdSil8T is a jewel in the roughSRdSil8T is a jewel in the roughSRdSil8T is a jewel in the roughSRdSil8T is a jewel in the roughSRdSil8T is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Awsome write up, I'm gunna have to try this when I'm not lazy. I'll be rolling to Vegas soon and this would be nice lol
SRdSil8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #24
kriptix
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmetalrps View Post
one question.

the wires on my oem cc buttons are red, blue, and yellow...

which one goes where i.e green/yellow, green/white, green/orange...
This I unfortunately cannot help you with. The diagrams I have (Alldata) do not show the wire colors between the switch assembly and its connector. It only shows the green wires. I had the same problem with mine when I tried to figure it out. You can put male/female connectors on the wires so you can swap them around, then just go and drive the car and try it. There aren't too many combinations. You can also use a multimeter and measure the resistance change of the green wires, and then the same change on the switch wires, when you press the buttons to figure out which one is which.

I can tell you what one of the wires is. The G/W wire should always go to the wire with the extra connector coming off the same pin on the switch assembly (It was the yellow one for me).

- Victor

Last edited by kriptix; 12-05-2007 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Forgot something...
kriptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #25
highly responsive
Leaky Injector

highly responsive is making a name for him/her selfhighly responsive is making a name for him/her self
i am assuming this would work with buttons from radio shack, as i dont have access to the original steering wheel.

just wondering if anyone knows what kind of buttons id need... anyone know?
highly responsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #26
kriptix
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by highly responsive View Post
i am assuming this would work with buttons from radio shack, as i dont have access to the original steering wheel.

just wondering if anyone knows what kind of buttons id need... anyone know?
I don't think you can use just any buttons. The switch assembly contains a small circuit board with a few resistors that the buttons are soldered to.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #27
krazydriver
Leaky Injector

krazydriver is making a name for him/her selfkrazydriver is making a name for him/her self
I don't use cruise control anyways, so when i put in my aftermarket wheel i didn't care.
But +1 for putting this info together for people!!
krazydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #28
ki_JDM_ds
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (56)
ki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really niceki_JDM_ds is just really nice
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
I put my cruise under column works great.

Thanks for the write up OP.
ki_JDM_ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #29
highly responsive
Leaky Injector

highly responsive is making a name for him/her selfhighly responsive is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriptix View Post
I don't think you can use just any buttons. The switch assembly contains a small circuit board with a few resistors that the buttons are soldered to.
shit, does it really? i never had the stock steering wheel, so i wouldnt have known :(
Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #30
highly responsive
Leaky Injector

hey, got my cruise control to work! also, fixing it removed my check engine light! i been wondering about that shit since i got the damn car.

something kriptix forgot to mention:
the green/white wire needs to be touching the green/black wire as well, or else cruise control aint gonna work.

there was a little red plastic thing holding the two together, i just cut the green/white wire off and wired it to my switch, it didnt work. so i went back and connected the green/black to the green/white and voila, cruise control is back in full effect. cali trips wont be so damn bothersome anymore :)