Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
SSQV problem...

So just like the title says, I have a problem. I just installed my HKS (yes its real) SSQV on my s14 KA-t. Previously I was running a stock Evo VIII bov resurc. and I had absolutely no compressor surge. After the SSQV was installed I can't hear anything other than compressor surge....WTF.

If anyone can shed some light on my situation I would greatly appreciate it.

Brandon

note: it is also set as loose as it can go...meaning no adjustment screw

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
i was pretty sure that SSQV's came preset with the right adjustment...
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
well that would solve that if that is right.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
Trader Rating: (3)
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
adjusting the bolt on the back side of the BOV changes its response
Old 06-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
compressor surge is awesome B, don't be a hater
Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
S13Eye
Zilvia Member

S13Eye will become famous soon enoughS13Eye will become famous soon enoughS13Eye will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to S13Eye
Are you sure you hooked it up to the correct vaccum signal? If you have a vaccum pump, check if the valve even opens when vaccum is applied to it. At the least, push on the rubber section in the front with something dull to see if you can get the valve to open.

Compressor surge really is awesome. No hesitation between shifts either. If anyone has a spare T25 for sale, let me know.
S13Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
compressor surge is awesome B, don't be a hater
thanks for the help N........ lol

If I push on the rubber part it goes in. I did try sucking air thru the vacuum tip and I heard air coming thru...like sucking thru a straw...shouldn't it want to build pressure? IE not hear air when vacuum is applied.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
240silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
240silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240silvia
If you have the new SSQV, like I do, then you are going to have comp surge. I have it up until around 2psi, then boost above 2psi, doesn't have any surge. I still can't figure out why they didn't put a adjustment screw on the back of the new ones. I'd almost say re-sell it, and buy an older one, at least they have an adjustment.
240silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
caall99
Zilvia Member

caall99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to caall99
you can do this, not just because i did it but because it may help your situation:

remove the whole SSQV from the hotpipe (or whatever), and disassemble it. then take out the metal cap that the adjustment screw pushes against, and reassemble. this will reduce some of the preload on the valve, beyond what the adjustment screw will do for you. There will still be enough force from the spring to create a tight seal.

BTW: keep the adjustment screw in there and maybe add some teflon tape, for a tight seal.

I did all this and reduced my compressor surge dramatically.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

I went and got a screw for the adjustment and also put teflon tape on there and still lots of compressor surge. I'll try taking the whole thing apart and see whats up.

keep the idea's coming

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
caall99
Zilvia Member

wouldn't adding a screw to a SSQV that initially didn't have one, if anything, create more compression on the spring? you want to do the opposite. REMOVE some of the preload from the spring, allowing the BOV to vent at lower pressures, reducing your compressor surge. removing the metal cap on the spring does just this. then again i am not 100% percent familiar with the newer SSQVs.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

mine has the screw hole, but when I bought it used it was not included.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-14-2006, 07:57 AM   #13
caall99
Zilvia Member

oh shit, then plug that bitch up!!! thats where you are leaking tremendous amounts of vacuum, i bet your valve isn't even opening. plug it and let me know.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #14
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

thats what I did last night and I'm still getting surge and no sound. I even took the whole thing apart (which was a bit*h with those little screws) and still no sound...just compressor surge. I have my vacuum source comming off my FPR and it works great for my stock EVO VIII BOV. WTF!

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #15
RightWheelDrive
Zilvia Member

RightWheelDrive is on a distinguished road
Maybe try finding a better vacuum source? one that isnt already tapped into already long hoses. On my brother's car, we used the vacuum line for the stock recircs and we only got micky mouse sqeeks. We tapped the vacuum right off the intake manifold and then we got star wars laser beams..*cheew** cheew* good luck. may the force be with you

ps. what kind of turbo are you running?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog
thats what I did last night and I'm still getting surge and no sound. I even took the whole thing apart (which was a bit*h with those little screws) and still no sound...just compressor surge. I have my vacuum source comming off my FPR and it works great for my stock EVO VIII BOV. WTF!
Well there's your problem.

You're supposed to use the top right nipple on the intake manifold for the BOV.

And only put your BOV on that vacuum source, nothing else.

The only other thing you should have sharing the same vacuum sourse as the FPR is the boost gauge.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #17
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

hopefully everybody saw my signature and realize that I have a KA-T and not an SR, so I don't have the vacuum nipple right there. I guess I'm just going to have to tap my manifold.

PS its a stock SR20 T25

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #18
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Doesn't matter what turbo you're running, but the BOV needs its own vacuum source, or else it'll be sluggish in response.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #19
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
so where would one on a ka-t put it?

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #20
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
so where would one put the bov on a ka-t?

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:19 AM   #21
RightWheelDrive
Zilvia Member

RightWheelDrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways
Doesn't matter what turbo you're running, but the BOV needs its own vacuum source, or else it'll be sluggish in response.
I was just curious about his setup. KA-T FTW!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:34 AM   #22
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Yeah I knew what you were asking.

I tried another source straight from my manifold that I found last night and still no sound. I even pulled the vacuum line while the car was running and its sucking in pretty hard, so I'm guessing it should be enough, again that new vacuum source works great with my resurculated EVO VII one

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #23
punxva
Post Whore!

punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Quote:
Why do I have surge (a woo woo woo woo sound) on my SSQV?

This is a result of the valve not pulling the valve open, while the turbo compressor is spinning. The air gets "stuck" in the system and slowly returns causing a repeating woo woo woo sound.

The HKS SSQV needs high air flow on the back of the valve and a strong vacuum source to pull the valve open. On some cars where the bov is positioned in an odd location, this may not be possible at part throttle. The turbo is creating lots of air, but little to no boost has reached the manifold due to a pressure loss across the IC.

You can re-locate the valve and/or get a stronger vacuum source to help combat this effect. You want a thick single line straight the manifold for a vacuum source, as short as possible.

Mild surge at little to no boost levels will not damage your turbo.

If you are worried about this noise, you may want to consider re-installing your original bypass valve in addition to the SSQV so that the air flow at part throttle can be released as intended. Otherwise, you may want to change to a push type blow off valve that will operate on less of a vacuum source.
Quote:
How do I adjust my SSQV?

First you should know that the usual tight/loose rules do not apply here.

The adjustment only affects the outside black valve, not the inside purple valve.

No matter how loose you adjust the bov, it will not leak. However, if you adjust it too loose, the parts inside will come apart and possibly jam the bov.

For most applications you want the loosest setting, which allows the bigger valve to open faster loosing all of the compressed air

If you adjust the bov more tight, the air will only come out of the small valve first, then the larger valve, depending on the tension. This will create a louder high pitched sound for the small valve, and a smaller deep pitched sound for the large valve. Some people like the bov tightened all the way for maximum "shreek" upon release.

You need a 10mm wrench to adjust. Loosen the nut closest to the bov slightly. Now you can adjust the top bolt to your liking. Go for a drive. Once the bolt is where you like it, turn the nut to the right to "lock" that position. Do not over tighten the bottom nut. Again, be careful not to over-loosen the top bolt. If you loosen it too much, it will come right out.
I found this online for you, where do you have your BOV at right now? do you have any pictures of your setup?

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

Old 06-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #24
punxva
Post Whore!

ok actually try teeing it into the brake booster line. see if that works, i saw somewhere that said for the hks thats a good source on a ka-t

Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #25
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

mine come from a manifold source that was used for emissions. It seems really strong with my finger against it but again the valve is not opening. Here is a picture of my car with out the BOV BUT, it is located on the straight piece of hotpipe closest to the turbo.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #26
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

the pipe here in the bottom of the picture, common placement for SR guys

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 06-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #27
punxva
Post Whore!

yea try using the brake booster really quick, also try adjusting it via the write up i posted a few replys up.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #28
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
just noticed. uhm you might wanna put a breather cap on the valve cover thing. if you look at your set up you are presurising the crank case system. not a good Idea you can relaly mess something up like that. that might be why your SSQV is not working properly.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #29
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

I have since then fixed that. That was right after I finished my car.

SHIFTlock_slide to side