Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #22981
gio240sx

Trader Rating: (0)
gio240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
See whats jamming it. These cars have a vert basic and simple setup for the windows, remove it and inspect it
that’s what i’m doing right now, seems to be working so far. Will update once done!
gio240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #22982
gio240sx

Quote:
See whats jamming it. These cars have a vert basic and simple setup for the windows, remove it and inspect it
LMAO i got the regulator out but ended up leaving right after and when i came back to install the new one i became stuck on how to correctly re-install the regulator. was only able to find removal videos online nothing really for re-installing the regulator on a s14.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #22983
Presto
Leaky Injector

Presto is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently put in a Walbro 255 it was working for like a month good but just went eeeeeeaaarrttt now it’s not priming/making any noise, I don’t think there was gas in the tank

Time for new pump?
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #22984
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yes new pump, clean the tank out too.

New pick up sock and z32 fuel filter
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #22985
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Yes new pump, clean the tank out too.

New pick up sock and z32 fuel filter
I have z32 filter and I cleaned the tank with muriatic acid

but could just having no gas cause this? Because ifnot There even might be crap in the tank still
Old 12-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #22986
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I have z32 filter and I cleaned the tank with muriatic acid

but could just having no gas cause this? Because ifnot There even might be crap in the tank still
Yes no gas can kill a.pump.

Pull it out and look at the pickup sock. If its dirty and clogged, tank isnt clean

Looks new, then either no gas killed the pump or the pump is a dud.

Be careful lots of chinese knock off walbro 255 are sold
Old 12-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #22987
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
I cleaned the tank with muriatic acid
Good thing you have a whole spare fuel system laying around...

It doesn't need that kind of cleaning. "crap in the tank" will be things you can see, it's not microscopic. If it does need that kind of cleaning, it needs to be removed from the car.

Last edited by mechanicalmoron; 12-27-2019 at 10:00 PM..
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #22988
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Good thing you have a whole spare fuel system laying around...

It doesn't need that kind of cleaning. "crap in the tank" will be things you can see, it's not microscopic. If it does need that kind of cleaning, it needs to be removed from the car.
I removed it from the car, filled it with muriatic acid and water and let sit for 24 hours I emptied and rinsed with wire brush

It’s possible for flash rust to happen after if I didn’t do good with sealing it because of the acid and I didn’t have a base to nuetralize it
Old 12-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #22989
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Yes no gas can kill a.pump.

Pull it out and look at the pickup sock. If its dirty and clogged, tank isnt clean

Looks new, then either no gas killed the pump or the pump is a dud.

Be careful lots of chinese knock off walbro 255 are sold
Ohhh okay I’ll try that thx
Old 12-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #22990
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
I removed it from the car, filled it with muriatic acid and water and let sit for 24 hours I emptied and rinsed with wire brush

It’s possible for flash rust to happen after if I didn’t do good with sealing it because of the acid and I didn’t have a base to nuetralize it
Yeah, there was no reason at all to put acid in it. All you do is dump the thing, if you need a cleaner there's plenty of mild ones that won't hurt anything, you can use something like simple green or just water (a power washer works great, take it to the car wash), if you need an abrasive throw a chain in. To dry, pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol in, shake and pour out, reinstall and fill with gas.

It's not ghosts or sub-atomic particles you're trying to remove, you don't need to corrode your entire fuel system with acid in order to get the chunks out.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:18 PM   #22991
Presto
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Yeah, there was no reason at all to put acid in it. All you do is dump the thing, if you need a cleaner there's plenty of mild ones that won't hurt anything, you can use something like simple green or just water (a power washer works great, take it to the car wash), if you need an abrasive throw a chain in. To dry, pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol in, shake and pour out, reinstall and fill with gas.

It's not ghosts or sub-atomic particles you're trying to remove, you don't need to corrode your entire fuel system with acid in order to get the chunks out.
The reason was to clean it and if all I did was “dump the thing” all the rust would still be there lol

Also I don’t have a chain with me and the gas tank isn’t my entire fuel system
Old 12-28-2019, 01:10 AM   #22992
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
The reason was to clean it and if all I did was “dump the thing” all the rust would still be there lol

Also I don’t have a chain with me and the gas tank isn’t my entire fuel system
Well, it does take some basic supplies, or the willingness to get them, to fix cars.... a chain is one example, a handful of bolts is less convenient but will suffice.

The entire fuel system is connected to the fuel tank, in case you didn't notice. If you fill it with acid that you can't properly neutralize or remove, yeah, you did contaminate your whole fuel system.

You have a clever answer, but you also have a broken car, so... how clever is your answer?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #22993
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Small Questions Thread (SEARCH FIRST! Use this instead of making NEW threads)

Anyone ever have a innovate wideband stay in the CAL (Calibration) when they were installing it?

I installed my innovate mtx-ol plus and it stays in calibration mode after warming up.

I double checked my wiring it’s all correct. Could I just have been sent a bad O2 sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #22994
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
Anyone ever have a innovate wideband stay in the CAL (Calibration) when they were installing it?

I installed my innovate mtx-ol plus and it stays in calibration mode after warming up.

I double checked my wiring it’s all correct. Could I just have been sent a bad O2 sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the possibility. Is the wiring to your unit good though? Has good pwr/gnd? Also, have you tried setting it with a computer?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10+ using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:21 AM   #22995
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
How much do s13 open diffs go for?
Old 12-30-2019, 01:22 AM   #22996
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
How much do s13 open diffs go for?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #22997
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Used to be like $40, now seemingly around $100-120.
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #22998
ThisGuyTR

ThisGuyTR is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys wondering about 5 lug

i have the stock hubs and im going to buy the s14 5x100 swap instead of the 5x114.3 mainly because i have 4 sets of 5x100 and 2 universal.

My question is, how much power could i run the 5x100 up to before your breaking sht? my set up is going to be around 300-350whp..
ThisGuyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #22999
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Used to be like $40, now seemingly around $100-120.
There’s no way? That’s what I used to pay for J30’s, Q45’s, etc.
Open diffs were yeah - $40-$50 MAX $60 if you needed shit now. Lol.
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #23000
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyTR View Post

i have the stock hubs and im going to buy the s14 5x100 swap instead of the 5x114.3 mainly because i have 4 sets of 5x100 and 2 universal.

My question is, how much power could i run the 5x100 up to before your breaking sht? my set up is going to be around 300-350whp..
1000hp would be safe
Old 01-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #23001
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I think the quality of wheel studs would be more of a concern, then the amount of studs. Hondas run 4x100 on slicks.
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #23002
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
I think the quality of wheel studs would be more of a concern, then the amount of studs. Hondas run 4x100 on slicks.

Exactly....the question askd couldnt of been that serious.

Who converts nissan to a honda 4x100 anyways?
Old 01-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #23003
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:

how are you converting to 5x100??? adapter spacers? Redrilling your hubs?
Why reinvent the wheel?

sell your dumb pcd wheels and get the correct gear.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #23004
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Anyone have an idea on rotating torque for an Sr20det?

As in, my engine is in the car and has been sitting for some time. I removed the spark plugs and dumped some oil down the spark plug hole. Spark plugs are still out, car has the drive shaft removed, trans is in neutral, engine oil is at the correct level (Rotella 15w-40 or 10w-40 I dont remember exactly).

If I were to put a 27mm socket on the crank bolt and rotate it with a Dial gauge torque wrench, what range should my readings fall within? I know initial torque will be high but rotating torque should be what?

From my skimming the FSM, I did not see anything like this. From Sr20forum or somewhere, I read it should be between 10-18 ft-lb (I'm going to assume this means a long block with spark plugs removed).

Thoughts?
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #23005
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post

As in, my engine is in the car and has been sitting for some time. I removed the spark plugs and dumped some oil down the spark plug hole. Spark plugs are still out, car has the drive shaft removed, trans is in neutral, engine oil is at the correct level (Rotella 15w-40 or 10w-40 I dont remember exactly).

If I were to put a 27mm socket on the crank bolt and rotate it with a Dial gauge torque wrench, what range should my readings fall within? I know initial torque will be high but rotating torque should be what?

From my skimming the FSM, I did not see anything like this. From Sr20forum or somewhere, I read it should be between 10-18 ft-lb (I'm going to assume this means a long block with spark plugs removed).

Thoughts?
Grab the balancer with both hands, put your shoulder into it, and it should turn.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #23006
gio240sx

S14 wont pass smog

alright so my 97 s14 won’t psss smog, keeps throwing a p0171 code when the check engine light turns on and the engine bogs hard, car shut off on me at a stop sign about 1 minute after leaving the smog shop too. here’s a photo of the paper from the shop if anyone could know the culprit. already replaced the MAF sensor the o2 sensor and i don’t see any leaks anywhere. here’s a photo of the smog sheet if anyone could help i’d appreciate it https://ibb.co/dQthtzw
Old 01-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #23007
S14rebuild
BANNED

You have a vauccum leak sumwhere...bad hose. Cracked, or disconnected.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #23008
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio240sx View Post
alright so my 97 s14 won’t psss smog, keeps throwing a p0171 code when the check engine light turns on and the engine bogs hard, car shut off on me at a stop sign about 1 minute after leaving the smog shop too. here’s a photo of the paper from the shop if anyone could know the culprit. already replaced the MAF sensor the o2 sensor and i don’t see any leaks anywhere. here’s a photo of the smog sheet if anyone could help i’d appreciate it https://ibb.co/dQthtzw
P0171 Fuel Injection System Function (Lean Side)
Detected when: Fuel injection system does not operate properly. The amount of mixture ratio compensation is too large (ratio is too lean).
Check Items (Possible Cause):
-Intake air leak
-Front heated oxygen sensor
-Injectors
-Exhaust gas leak
-Incorrect fuel pressure
-Lack of fuel
-Mass air flow sensor

You've already replaced MAF and O2 sensor, so it's probably one of those other causes. Trouble shooting steps begin at page EC-143 in this document: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1997/ec.pdf

On a car that old, I'd fully inspect the intake boots & hoses (like take them off the car and really inspect them). Every one of my cars has had a torn boot or a cracked hose that wasn't easy to spot from a basic "visual inspection." The other one that actually happened to my 97 was the EGR hard pipe was cracked and needed to be replaced, was easy to hear that exhaust leak however. Other things could be faulty/clogged injectors or a failing fuel pump even. Looks like you're up over 250k miles, stuff just wears out.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #23009
gio240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
P0171 Fuel Injection System Function (Lean Side)
Detected when: Fuel injection system does not operate properly. The amount of mixture ratio compensation is too large (ratio is too lean).
Check Items (Possible Cause):
-Intake air leak
-Front heated oxygen sensor
-Injectors
-Exhaust gas leak
-Incorrect fuel pressure
-Lack of fuel
-Mass air flow sensor

You've already replaced MAF and O2 sensor, so it's probably one of those other causes. Trouble shooting steps begin at page EC-143 in this document: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1997/ec.pdf

On a car that old, I'd fully inspect the intake boots & hoses (like take them off the car and really inspect them). Every one of my cars has had a torn boot or a cracked hose that wasn't easy to spot from a basic "visual inspection." The other one that actually happened to my 97 was the EGR hard pipe was cracked and needed to be replaced, was easy to hear that exhaust leak however. Other things could be faulty/clogged injectors or a failing fuel pump even. Looks like you're up over 250k miles, stuff just wears out.
yea i took it to a family friend to check the car out while i worked today, and the 250k miles is on the chasis itself, engine was swapped back in 2012 and only has about 70k miles on the new motor(still a stock ka24de)
Old 01-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #23010
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post

Thoughts?
Quote:
Grab the balancer with both hands, put your shoulder into it, and it should turn.
I appreciate your feedback.

Measuring it with a torque wrench yielded these results.

With the conditions described above, and the longblock connected to the alternator, clutch fan, power steering ( AC compressor not installed), my initial torque to get it moving was about 25 ft-lb. Once moving, I had it rotating at 10 ft-lb and then it would jump to about 20 ft-lb. I'll try it again later just to make sure its not binding up or catching on something.

I'm thinking that i most likely scraped the fan shroud with my torque wrench.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote