Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #61
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
JULY

Let me begin this by saying the mindset of "oh, while I'm in there...!" is a treacherous and expensive path, LOL

Well, off comes the head.

I couldn't have the car out of maintenance for too long, but I also wanted to make my time inside the engine worthwhile, so I had a bit of a balancing act doing this, on top of learning to change a head gasket for the first time, heh.

So let's take a look:

Tops of the pistons definitely look like 200,000 miles.

Chambers #3 and #4 have seen better days, which I'll need to further investigate later down the road.

Exhaust valves have the same story, and intake valves for #3 had debris on it.

With the head disassembled, I had it dropped off at a machine shop for testing, cleaning, and minimal resurface.

One thing I've been meaning to do was to refresh all the vaccum lines, and this was the perfect time.

I've always had a suspicion of the IACV's condition because when I get off throttle, the car will bog down, sometimes bad enough where it would stall itself.

Lo and behold, it was as dirty as expected and missing 1 bolt of the 4 (head gasket was changed by a random shop many years ago)

Cleaned:

I was going through the lines that run through the lower intake manifold, and found a hose to be "crunchy" inside. It was the line that ran coolant through the throttle body. Nothing came out when I disconnected it, so I just cut it open since I probably couldn't salvage it.

YUCK. Very likely from the old heater core and just old gunk/rust that was never able to exit the system.

Of course, I couldn't stand to reassemble the engine with the pistons in the condition they were in, so I had the engine bay masked up and went to work.

Ah, yes. Satisfaction!

Also, this happened:

But we'll get into that another time~
Old 08-16-2023, 07:26 AM   #62
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Totally wild all that gunk inside the coolant line! Wowza. And the new hoses look awesome! Also totally dig that hood. I bet it feels nice having that clean IACV back on the whip haha. Cheers from Tampa Bay
Old 08-17-2023, 07:23 PM   #63
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyedian View Post
Totally wild all that gunk inside the coolant line! Wowza. And the new hoses look awesome! Also totally dig that hood. I bet it feels nice having that clean IACV back on the whip haha. Cheers from Tampa Bay
Yeah, the M Sports was the next best thing for me since I couldn't find a Stage 21 hood. Quality is great, but fitment is not very ideal, especially with their own fenders.

1. Huge, uneven gaps where the fender lines up with the hood.

2. The crown/arch of the hood is too "straight" and doesn't match the arch of the fenders.

I have spacers on the hinges just so the arch difference isn't so jarring at the front, but now the height difference at the rear of the hood is distinctly noticeable.

3. My valve cover is now rubbing against the drop vent. I have Xcessive engine mounts which may or may not have raised the engine, but it's a issue nonetheless.
Old 08-18-2023, 09:12 AM   #64
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEGUZZI View Post
Yeah, the M Sports was the next best thing for me since I couldn't find a Stage 21 hood
Stage 21 was my favorite when I was last active in about 2019. I liked the look on the kouki S14. M Sports looks similar fa sho

Quote:
Quality is great, but fitment is not very ideal, especially with their own fenders.

1. Huge, uneven gaps where the fender lines up with the hood.

2. The crown/arch of the hood is too "straight" and doesn't match the arch of the fenders.

I have spacers on the hinges just so the arch difference isn't so jarring at the front, but now the height difference at the rear of the hood is distinctly noticeable.

3. My valve cover is now rubbing against the drop vent. I have Xcessive engine mounts which may or may not have raised the engine, but it's a issue nonetheless
I'm surprised! That's wild about the fitment especially given that you have their fenders as well >___>

Makes me a little hesitant to get a CF vented hood for my ride. There is a fiberglass OE hood on the kouki S14 front and honestly the fitment is spot on. I just have risers on the hinges for the vibes.

I would love a TA style vented CF for reasons but Idk if I could handle fitment concern! :O
Old 09-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #65
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Picking up where I left off:

I got the head and valves back from the machine shop. Just had it cleaned up, tested, and resurfaced.

I wouldn't say I hated valve lapping, but I definitely got sore doing all 16 in one sitting lol

One thing I really fought were the valve keepers. It didn't help that my tool kinda broke after 3 valves, but I made it work and barely finished before the light went away.

I figured it was time for a new color for the valve cover, so I went with Toyota 221 this time:

Reassembly time!

One minor set back was I wasn't able to correctly orient the idler gear since main timing cover was still on. After a few tries I was able to get all the marks lined up and the lobes correctly oriented.

In the picture you can see intake is at about 8 o'clock and exhaust at 2 o'clock rather than completely outwards at 9 and 3.

It's hard to believe those cam bolts require that much torque. That wore me out!

Assembly went into the night, but the engine is finally closed up.

When I first added my fuel pressure regulator, I went with a Tomei one, but after awhile it bothered me that it pointed the fuel line straight into the firewall.

I switched to ISR's since it gave it a more appropriate angle:

And finally, no more electrical tape for this thing! Thanks, Crimsonrockett

Still need to sand the lettering, but it's finally done! Just needed coolant.

I spent about $100 for this thing, and I have no regrets at all--I highly recommend it.

And we're back!

Car was so nasty after sitting for a month
Old 10-06-2023, 08:10 PM   #66
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

End of an era

Let's start this update with a bang:

Got my G-Corp bumper in some single stage.

Wow, man, it's night and day difference between the real deal vs reps; the thickness is consistent throughout the whole bumper, and despite being thinner, it's stiffer from the better lay up.

For awhile I've had a growing exhaust leak, but I installed new gaskets recently and the bolts were tight. Didn't see a visible leak so I kinda shrugged it off.

But I went over one slight speed bump and the cat broke clean off, lmao.

Was able to order another CARB cat, but this one no longer had the flange design that failed. It was also almost twice as much as when I first bought one :[

Walker Exhaust Part Number: 81127 if anyone reading was looking.

Went to my usual exhaust shop to get flanges welded on and installed, but when I was invited beneath the car to take a look, I noticed dripping around the bellhousing.

When the car was moved out from above the pit, there definitely was a big leak somewhere.

I barely made it to work after a few stops to refill my radiator, but I wasn't able to avoid it overheating--I had to get it towed home again.

On one of my stops, I noticed I had a spray of water somewhere near the firewall, but nothing I could see. I had a suspicion it could be one of the heater core hoses.

Sure enough:

Looking back, I regret not changing the heater hoses when I had the intake off originally. But I didn't want to go through the hassle of sourcing the parts/waiting on shipping and it bit me in the butt.

I put everything back together Sunday morning and went for a test drive.

O V E R H E A T

I was over it, and I legit said "forget THIS" and bought a car later that day.

So here's the new daily!

It's been a month, and I had so much fun I forgot I needed to go back and fix my 240 LMAO

Sad that I'm retired the 240 from daily duty, but nothing beats the peace of mind commuting a car that won't potentially break down. Especially with the last couple months I've had.

First order of business is to get the engine rebuilt PROFESSIONALLY this time, lol. Then I can get back onto the paint grind to finally finish the front end.

-------------

Old 10-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #67
Danb
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Danb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It is always something but with the new daily, maybe it'll be more fun to work on the 240 since you can choose the timeline's on fixing things versus being forced to do it in a certain window. 240 time in the garage for me is basically therapy time from all the stresses of the world.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:55 PM   #68
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danb View Post
It is always something but with the new daily, maybe it'll be more fun to work on the 240 since you can choose the timeline's on fixing things versus being forced to do it in a certain window. 240 time in the garage for me is basically therapy time from all the stresses of the world.
Absolutely! Projects and fixes would always have to be meticulously planned or squeezed into a weekend endeavor.

So after I get the engine squared away this time *fingers crossed*, I'll be able to wrap up my fiberglass project and get some things prepped and painted properly!
Old 10-19-2023, 06:56 PM   #69
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Rare same-day update, but this was very curious to realize:

Cometic's MLS head gasket has extra holes vs OEM/Fel-Pro

Even Tomei's head gasket matches OEM. Pretty weird.

But before I get to that, while I was taking the engine apart again, I found some more vacuum lines to replace by the PAIR valve.

I wasn't able to get a picture, but this tube was completely sealed! I had to poke a hole through it.

Got the head off and...

At first glance I thought I had clogged passages, but it was actually just the gasket material bubbled up from the heat:

That's when I started comparing gaskets and to see which have matching holes and where:

I have the unfortunate privilege of having 3 head gaskets, but neat little side-by-side between Cometic vs OEM/Fel-Pro

...And I painted the head shield black; I hope I don't regret it, LOL

Hoping to have a smooth reassembly tomorrow!

-------------

~Side note, dailying the Civic has been a blast! Grinded 500 miles within the first week just so I could enjoy max RPM sooner, haha

Old 12-24-2023, 04:11 PM   #70
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Really lagged on the update, but the car runs.

Suspiciously a little better than when I first changed the head gasket, however--not complaining lol

Also, I'm still indifferent with the black heat shield, but it's slowly growing on me

I've had this thermal gasket, but wasn't sure if I wanted to use it. What's the consensus on it?

Did multiple short trips before I felt confident taking it to work twice a month.

Speaking of which, I have a week off from work, so it's time to party with some of the projects I had to put on hold:

See y'all next year!
Old 01-02-2024, 09:37 PM   #71
na6miata

na6miata is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I've had this thermal gasket, but wasn't sure if I wanted to use it. What's the consensus on it?

I would skip using it, I have seen a lot of them come through the shop I work at and they always seem to be problematic. I've always used OEM without any issue, even with 30psi+
na6miata is offline   Reply With Quote