Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Dippin_Cope

Trader Rating: (0)
Dippin_Cope is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'90 s13 240sx

I'm looking at getting a 1990 s13 240 with a stock ka24e engine. Some things I want to know about that engine and a few other misc. questions. The guy wants 3400 for the car. The car is in immaculate condition externally but I have yet to see the internals. I asked the guy to send pictures. It isn't turbo'd, which brings me to my first question. What would be the most cost efficient yet powerful turbo I could put on that car without having to rebuild the engine or do alot of other work? Second question. For the car being in the condition that its in: immaculate externals, no rust, ka24e stock engine, lowering springs and 130000 miles on the engine, is 3400 dollars a fair price? If not, what would a fair price for that car be? Oh, it also has after market wheels and tires. Thanks for any info that can be shared.
Dippin_Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
bad dog
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
bad dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i guess buying a 240 depends what you want , myself i would want a-- s14 -- 1994 and above to get the new type freon in the ac -- even a 1996 and above to get the obd 2 --i would check craigs list looking at los angles , phoenix , dallas .

is it manual or auto tranny , 4 or 5 lug wheels , have cold air intake , have good exhaust or stock , does it have ac .

bottom line , i think 3400 is too much and putting on on a powerful turbo will cost a lot , buy a 240 already set up .

just my 2 cents . good luck
bad dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
jscherf92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jscherf92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippin_Cope View Post
I'm looking at getting a 1990 s13 240 with a stock ka24e engine. Some things I want to know about that engine and a few other misc. questions. The guy wants 3400 for the car. The car is in immaculate condition externally but I have yet to see the internals. I asked the guy to send pictures.
Okay so far.

Quote:
It isn't turbo'd, which brings me to my first question. What would be the most cost efficient yet powerful turbo I could put on that car without having to rebuild the engine or do alot of other work?
Cost efficient and powerful? Even a cheap turbo kit will run $1300 between the turbo, manifold, intercooler and piping, BOV, turbo lines, downpipe, etc. Lets say you can get all the parts used, MAYBE totals $750-800 and thats still for a knockoff turbo, a new/used Mr. Garrett will run that high JUST for the turbo itself, used T28 can be had for a bargain. After that you still need engine management, either a flashed ECU or aftermarket solution, another $400+. Too much power for the stock clutch? You'll be swapping that out with another ~$200. The stock injectors are known to handle about 190hp before they're maxed out, any more than that and you're looking at CA18 injectors or something comparable as well as an adjustable FPR and a larger fuel pump.

This all comes down to what your budget is and what you're expecting to get out of the car. If your goal is 300hp on a SOHC KA then you're gonna want to overhaul it with new internals, seals, gaskets, etc and it won't be cheap.

Quote:
Second question. For the car being in the condition that its in: immaculate externals, no rust, ka24e stock engine, lowering springs and 130000 miles on the engine, is 3400 dollars a fair price? If not, what would a fair price for that car be? Oh, it also has after market wheels and tires. Thanks for any info that can be shared.
Lowering springs add no value here, the "good" ones cost maybe $200 new and since you didn't list a brand im inclined to think they're ebay or some other crap. Aftermarket wheels and tires, again no brand listed so are they a Pep Boys Special or are they actually worth something?

$3400 is high, Blue book as near as you can compare is about $1800, add $200 for his "upgrades" and $500 for the enthusiast "drift tax" as well as the low mileage for an offer around $2500. You should never be offering asking price on a car anyway.
jscherf92 is offline   Reply With Quote