Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
240pimp
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
240pimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20 shim placement.....help!

Hey,

I am currently rebuilding my sr20, and I flipped the head over without thinking and all the shims fell out in no particular order. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.......

My questions is this: I have used a micrometer to match up the thicknesses of the guides and the shims, so now I have the sets again, which are within tolorances for the pairs. My next question is, which valveset do they go on, and does it matter where they go? Most of them measure 3.00 but there are some sets that measure 2.98 and the lowest one measures 2.95. I put all the 3.0's on the intake side and distributed the 2.whatevers on the exhaust side. Since the lifters are hydaulic, I'm thinking that they will automatically adjust to this slight difference in heights.

I have found nothing in the FSM that says this would be a problem. Is there anyone who has done this and what do you think about it?

thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes, I've done re-shimming, I think i need to charge more!
Look up, solid lifter install, there should be a part with measuring and ordering shims. You already have all the shims so you just need the walk through and tools.
it is possible with a feeler gauge, but I invested in a dial gauge and made an adapter.

quick search found this, didn't read through it but sounded close enough.

HOW TO: Measure Valve Shim Heights

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote