Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
luftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA '89 KA24E runs fine but cuts out randomly

I just picked up a new 240 and I have some problems.

My engine runs very smoothly but randomly cuts out. When it does cut out, it doesn't hesitate or act any differently from how it does normally- it just dies like I turned off the car. Sometimes it can idle for a minute then die or sometimes it can last longer than 5 minutes. Whenever it stops, you have to wait ~10 minutes or so to start it again.

The previous owner said that the issue is fuel pump related but I changed that and the problem continues.

FWIW: I drove fine with no problems until there was less than half of the tank of gas.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
that happened to a friends 89. turns out that his mafs needed a good cleaning. a really really good cleaning.
louisdaboois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
timlush
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
timlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to beholdtimlush is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to timlush
Check the fuel pump relay.
timlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

luftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlush View Post
Check the fuel pump relay.
That's what I was thinking. Do the DE and E engines share the same part? If so I can just pop one out and check.

I'll look into the MAF thing.

Thanks to both of you!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks again for the help guys! Unfortunately, the problem still exists. The MAF is clean and the relay works.

I was reading my FSM and some of the symptoms seem to point towards a fuel pressure problem.

Any other input?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

Hi again. I took the car to a shop and the ignition coil was replaced- which seemed to fix the problem.

Apparently, that was not exactly the case. Now the car runs for a little bit longer, then promptly dies (still the same, quick cut of the engine). I can wait ~30 minutes and then it'll die again.

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
frosti108
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
frosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nicefrosti108 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to frosti108
man that is weird, never had that problem with any of my KAs... just wondering have you changed out the fuel filter yet? (quick and easy) or how about have you tried pulling a spark plug out after it dies? if theyre dead white or wet black, it could possibly lead you toward a certain diagnostic direction...

maybe a bad o2 sensor? my friends car was running fine until it heated up, and then acted retarded from a bad o2... see what happens if you run with it unplugged?

idk im just throwing shots in the dark here... good luck with it

also if you can find another mafs in the junkyard or something to try... just to see if it changes anything. because mafs are def suspect in these cars sometimes. but idk about making it shut off like that..
Old 06-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
aziankingz
Nissanaholic!

aziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really nice
i am experiencing the same issue.. i changed the coil thinking it was the problem, the car started again and drove for about 30 minutes and died on the highway and wouldnt start until about 20 minutes after cooling off, then died again within minutes, seems it dies once the engine is heated up. my friend helped me out and threw a crank angle sensor code, which leads to the distributor. i am going to have the distributor replaced and see if that is the problem. i will try and get back to you if anything.
aziankingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks to both of you.

The ignition control module (aka power transistor) most likely isn't the culprit as it was just replaced with no change in symptoms. From what I can gather, the next things to test would be the ECU + wiring. Anyone else have some info?

Just FWIW, this guy had a similar problem (way back in 2003 )
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...&highlight=icm
Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
aziankingz
Nissanaholic!

aziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really niceaziankingz is just really nice
well my friend helped me change out the distributor and it worked..no more stalling (for now)... try changing your distributor to see if that is your problem.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #11
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

Interesting. I was just doing some more research and I was just about to try that.

I'll have to go junkyard diving.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

So as a final update to this thread, I thought I'd post the conclusion.

The original symptom was this that the ignition was cutting out periodically while driving at predictable but random intervals.

The parts that were bad were the ignition coil and the distributor. The ignition control module was thought to be an issue but did not turn out to be a cause of the problem.

This problem was tough because the ignition coil was just part of the issue and so it was thought to be the only issue at first.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
aziankingz
Nissanaholic!

glad you found the problem.. i had the same exact problem and replacing those 2 helped..
Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
southerncross
Leaky Injector

southerncross is an unknown quantity at this point
im having a very similar problem. my car is cutting out under heavy throttle. it started just doing it while hot, now it does it any time you go over about 25% throttle. just put in a new fuel pump, its not that.

damn i hate this kind of crap.
southerncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
im having a very similar problem. my car is cutting out under heavy throttle. it started just doing it while hot, now it does it any time you go over about 25% throttle. just put in a new fuel pump, its not that.

damn i hate this kind of crap.
My problem was time-related, not how much throttle was used.

You should make a new thread or search for better thread for information, as you're unlikely to find anything to help you here.