Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #1
Janz99
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Janz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
350z Diff Swap - Axle Issue

I'm in the middle of swapping a 350z diff into my 97 S14 using GKtech conversion bushings. I've been told by a few people that axle length wasn't an issue even though many threads on hear indicate the drivers side was going to be too long.

On my current setup using IDS coil overs I am finding that the drivers side axle is bottomed out. Its clearly not going to work in my case and I'm curious how some people seem to make it work without having to space the hubs out?

My wheels and tires are already going to need a roll/slight pull, I'm not sure adding a 1/4" spacer behind the hubs is going to be possible.

Id love to hear people comment who have done this swap.

-Ryan
Janz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
Janz99
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Janz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I thought I'd update this thread for anyone else coming after me. I ended up pulling the coil over out and cycling the suspension to see if the axle was actually bottoming out, or if it was just really close.

Turns out its extremely close but there is a small amount of clearance. I'm going to try it as is and see if it works. If not, apparently one of the Armada axles is a better fit and ill try that next.
Janz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #3
Oo GrEg
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Oo GrEg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice, I can appreciate the follow up.
I have a similar set-up and not to thread jack I'll share my experience below.

S13 Coupe with S14 Subframe (SPL Conversion bushings).
Using the GKTech Diff conversion bushings (2 bushing set up for the cover)
Pathfinder cover
350Z axles
Power Trix Coilovers (if it matters)

Issues:
Cannot run the rear Sway bar. Flange on the diff is larger plus the diff itself sits lower/angled.
Driver axle is pretty much popping the axle cover off at full drop. The cover did pop off when I had the car on the ground pushing it up and down the drive way. When bolting it to the diff, there is a SMALL amount of clearance between the two when installing.

Before I went this route I did have an S14 Diff (abs housing) with Villains Conversion stubs. Of course with the diff width being shorter, maxing axles out wasn't an issue.
Oo GrEg is offline   Reply With Quote