Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #301
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinegtr20 View Post
R32 and R33 yes as they are both push type. R34 6spd Getrag is the only transmission it will not work in due to it been a pull type.

Learned this the hard way years ago when I got my first R32. Purchased a Nismo Coppermix from a reputable seller so I thought, turned out it was from a R34. Didn't get my money back and now have a gigantic doorstop.
btw Z31 Turbo back section of the gear box can be swapped onto the newer bellhousings. this is good for people who dont want to cut up thier transmission tunnel.
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #302
skylinegtr20

Trader Rating: (0)
skylinegtr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I assume you mean for S Chassis?
skylinegtr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #303
racer98
Post Whore!

racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
RB30 DOHC Guide
Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #304
eh?
Zilvia Member

eh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Made a new website dedicated to RB engines check it out:
RBforums - Forums-RB parts catalog/wire diagrams/FSM's.
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #305
soon2bs13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
soon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soon2bs13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh? View Post
Made a new website dedicated to RB engines check it out:
RBforums - Forums-RB parts catalog/wire diagrams/FSM's.
Very useful information!!

A couple of days ago, I finally got the 240 started up and drove it in the driveway. There are a couple of things that I am concerned about.

1. As I am cranking the motor, it is turning over and making a grinding sound. It starts up, but I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the Starter not engaging correctly.

2. When I am in neutral and open the throttle, it seems like there is a rev-limiter on it. I think that may be due to the MAF Sensor and/or wires. I am going to recheck those wires and make sure everything is solid. Anything else I should check into?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #306
eh?
Zilvia Member

For #2 check your maf wiring. What RPM does it cut at?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #307
soon2bs13
Zilvia Junkie

soon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownsoon2bs13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh? View Post
For #2 check your maf wiring. What RPM does it cut at?
not entirely sure. if i had to make an educated guess, i would say between 2500-4000 rpms. we only wired up the necessary wires to get the car started. i have to drive it from one place to another to get someone else to help me finish up the wiring.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #308
eh?
Zilvia Member

If it's around there it's most likely maf wiring.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #309
soon2bs13
Zilvia Junkie

thanks!

i will check it out.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #310
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
eklips3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you know what else you can do to fix that rev limiter problem .

i remember in my car at one point did the same thing. turns out that it was the Cam Angle Sensor was barely connected thus rev limiting at the same point in your case 3-4K RPM .

so just check out the Cam angle sensor

1992 240sx (RB20. 362whp@16psi)
eklips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #311
soon2bs13
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks. I will check that out as well.

Update on mine:

I believe that the starter is going bad. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it seems like when I try to crank it, it does not do anything. I tried another battery and that did not solve the issue, so I believe that it is the starter going out.

The car seems to idle fine, but when I put it into gear and let the clutch out, it dies. I made sure the connections on the MAF were good. I am going to try and switch the black/gray, black wire to see if that makes a difference or not.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #312
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey guys, I couldn't find a post with anyone sharing the RB25 ecu codes...so I thought I would post them up. These are straight out of the ecr33 manual.

11 Crankshaft position sensor
12 MAF sensor circuit (air flow meter)
13 Coolant temperature circuit
14 Vehicle speed sensor circuit
21 Ignition circuit
31 ECU (ouch!)
34 Knock sensor
43 Throttle position circuit
45 Injector leak
51 Ignition circuit
54 Auto signal to ECU
55 All OK

--->There are three different types of factory ECU available in Skylines.
One type has two LEDs and five modes
The second type has one LED and two modes
The last type has no LEDs, the output is done with the engine checklight in the instrument cluster. Acts as a single LED ECU.

How to check codes:

1. Switch on the ignition, but don't start. The LED on the ECU will be glowing.

2. Turn the selector screw clockwise all the way (gently!)

3. For two LED ECU's: the LED will flash once, pause, flash twice, pause... all the way up to five. This is the diagnostic mode. Mode 1=one flash, mode 5=five flashes. When you reach the right mode, turn the screw back counter clockwise. Mode 3 is what most people use.

4. For single LED ECU's: wait a couple of seconds, and turn the screw back counter clockwise, the ECU is now in mode 2.

5.The engine check light on the dash will mirror the LED on the computer.

The LED will flash out a code(or series of codes if there is more than one fault) The ECU will keep error codes in memory for 50starts, so keep in mind if an error happened 51 starts ago, there will be no record of it in the ECU.
More recent ECU's have two LED's (red = first digit, green = second digit, for example, red 2x flash, green 1x flash = code 21)

The ECU's on most R32's have one LED, long flash = first digit, short flash =
second digit, for example, long, long, short = code 21.

Hope this helps you guys!
Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #313
soon2bs13
Zilvia Junkie

on the intake manifold near the AAC Valve, there are 2 lines that i believe are vacuum lines and i was wanting to know if someone has a picture or information to where it connects to. i thought it was hooked up to the charcoal canister, but i am not sure.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #314
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey man, hope this helps you out.

Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #315
soon2bs13
Zilvia Junkie

thanks Zacho!!

it looks like the lines are the "To Canister" and "to recirculation valve". since i do not have the charcoal canister, i can put a cap on those 2 lines, correct?

today i swapped the MAF wires (the black ones) and now i can rev higher than i used to. i tried to put it in gear and drive it and it was trying to stall out while letting the clutch out. could that possibly be a vaccuum leak?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #316
CAPoweredS14
Zilvia Member

CAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really nice
Ok, so after finishing a nice RB25 S2 swap into my S14 the last thing we do it run a 180 degree "U" to recirc the heater core input/output on teh motor. Well, it wasn't tightened down as good as I thought and when I started up motor it idles perfectly and everything was nice. Only thing is, a litle started to leak onto my starter and now I can't turn the key to start my car anymore, only push start. Luckily I have a hill down my driveway.

I could've sworn I read somewhere another starter could be used but is my only option an OEM one?
CAPoweredS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #317
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPoweredS14 View Post
Ok, so after finishing a nice RB25 S2 swap into my S14 the last thing we do it run a 180 degree "U" to recirc the heater core input/output on teh motor. Well, it wasn't tightened down as good as I thought and when I started up motor it idles perfectly and everything was nice. Only thing is, a litle started to leak onto my starter and now I can't turn the key to start my car anymore, only push start. Luckily I have a hill down my driveway.

I could've sworn I read somewhere another starter could be used but is my only option an OEM one?
yep pretty much, get another OEM or get yours rebuilt

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #318
ANVIL
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ANVIL can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i cant get on nico club right now, but theres a US replacement for the starter, from what i remember its really cheap too. search the rb section there and you will find it.
ANVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #319
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka24deturbo View Post
Do you guys know where I can get help with wiring? Thanks!

drift freaq: I'm gonna need my A/C & P/S so help a brotha out! Let me know what you can do for me as far as parts! Thanks!
Same for me but with an rb26.

Ok so far ive been planning my rb26 build for awhile now. I have mckinney mounts and their downpipe which is notched. I know I need a driveshaft and frount mount. I need to send both wiring harness' off to get spliced together or I can take them to someone who knows what they are doing. How much am i missing in my equation assuming I have an rb25 tranny and tranny pan. Side note - does anyone know of a company that makes an oil pan for the 26 that replaces the pan that is also the front diff. The rb25 pan just doesnt fit well enough for me to feel safe. Open to constructive criticism aswell.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #320
racer98
Post Whore!

Just got some RB30E short blocks and will be making a couple hybrid swaps using Rb25 and RBb26 heads. will post all of the detailed modifications needed for the swap as well lots of missing info from posted guides that are posted online.

Set up 1

R34 Neo Turbo head swapped to the Rb30e bottom end - normal aspirated version / turbo version.

Set up 2

same as above but using the Rb26DETT head and intake

will post photos and steps needed.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #321
ANVIL
Zilvia FREAK!

sick.

not doing any S1 rb25 heads?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #322
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANVIL View Post
sick.

not doing any S1 rb25 heads?
using one to make an ITB set up right now lots of plans for the Rb30 block .
Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #323
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
Same for me but with an rb26.

Ok so far ive been planning my rb26 build for awhile now. I have mckinney mounts and their downpipe which is notched. I know I need a driveshaft and frount mount. I need to send both wiring harness' off to get spliced together or I can take them to someone who knows what they are doing. How much am i missing in my equation assuming I have an rb25 tranny and tranny pan. Side note - does anyone know of a company that makes an oil pan for the 26 that replaces the pan that is also the front diff. The rb25 pan just doesnt fit well enough for me to feel safe. Open to constructive criticism aswell.
you can always have the Stock RB26 oil pan modified, Ive done it once before and is working great till today.

Chop off Stock diff have it milled flat, and weld it shut. wabam!
RB25 trans is taken care of.
Mounts are taken care of
Downpipe is taken care of
I can do the wiring, and IC piping, check out the fab thread i actually just got done doing a 3" set up on an S14 SR.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #324
CAPoweredS14
Zilvia Member

CAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really niceCAPoweredS14 is just really nice
Just thought I would post this... replacement for rb25det S2 starter is any 2.5L suburu starter. It's all Toshiba/Mitsubishi stuff just like is on our RBs..
CAPoweredS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #325
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
eklips3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Just thought I would post this... replacement for rb25det S2 starter is any 2.5L suburu starter. It's all Toshiba/Mitsubishi stuff just like is on our RBs..

i also heard somwhere that its possible to use a sentra starter , not sure what year though

1992 240sx (RB20. 362whp@16psi)
eklips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #326
ANVIL
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
are s1 and s2 starters different? is that the starter that you are using? so are 2.5 RS and STI starters are the same?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #327
8gti9

8gti9 is an unknown quantity at this point
hello there, first post.

i'm installing a s2 rb25det into my s13 coupe and i'm trying to find a way to adjust the tach signal. now i know you can use the j30 tachometer and they are available anywhere ie: ebay, junkyards. but i have h.u.d. in my car. will this in any way affect the electronics in my hud? has anyone tried it before? i don't want to switch to analog speedo cluster.

i found link a few weeks back that show step by step on how to adjust (w/ pics) the tach from the back w/o having to replace the gauge itself. does anyone know? tried googling it but i forgot how i word it.

thnx
8gti9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #328
ProjNightshade
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
ProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gti9 View Post
hello there, first post.

i'm installing a s2 rb25det into my s13 coupe and i'm trying to find a way to adjust the tach signal. now i know you can use the j30 tachometer and they are available anywhere ie: ebay, junkyards. but i have h.u.d. in my car. will this in any way affect the electronics in my hud? has anyone tried it before? i don't want to switch to analog speedo cluster.

i found link a few weeks back that show step by step on how to adjust (w/ pics) the tach from the back w/o having to replace the gauge itself. does anyone know? tried googling it but i forgot how i word it.

thnx
I'm also interested in this. I have an s2 going into an s14 so no HUD. what about the speedometer? i have searched, but the way it was worded confused me even further. I just want to know what I need to do to get them working. Help us out! Thanks.
ProjNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #329
8gti9

8gti9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjNightshade View Post
I'm also interested in this. I have an s2 going into an s14 so no HUD. what about the speedometer? i have searched, but the way it was worded confused me even further. I just want to know what I need to do to get them working. Help us out! Thanks.

i think for the speedo u wanna use a '96 300zx z32 n/a vss m/t.

but i might be wrong
8gti9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #330
ProjNightshade
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
ProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enoughProjNightshade will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gti9 View Post
i think for the speedo u wanna use a '96 300zx z32 n/a vss m/t.

but i might be wrong
thanks, but I need 100% certainty before I start workin on this. anyone else have anything?
ProjNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote