Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
svensko
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
svensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to svensko
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
has anyone built a mineral oil submerged computer? or how about a liquid cooled with an a/c cooled case?
Why not use a mini-fridge as a case? It'd take some custom fabbing but your components would stay cool.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #32
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
i recently built myself a desktop to replace my p4 2.4ghz.

very basic build
q9400 oc'd to 3.2ghz
gigabyte EP45T-UD3P
4GB DDR3 1333 generic kingston
9800 GTX+
some antec power supply

not pretty but it gets the job done
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #33
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
has anyone built a mineral oil submerged computer? or how about a liquid cooled with an a/c cooled case?
Yeah, I built one when the Tbred cores had just come out using the Johnson and Johnson baby oil (which is mineral oil).

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #34
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by svensko View Post
Why not use a mini-fridge as a case? It'd take some custom fabbing but your components would stay cool.
I would imagine condensation would be a problem.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by future240 View Post
This is true. My Peltier cooled computer built up frost on the block between the element and CPU, it was completely sealed with dielectric grease and silicone but still eventually managed to die from the water that resulted after it was turned off.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #36
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Yea I just found out that my OC proccessor is actually faster when OC'ed to 2.3 instead of 2.4. I kept trying to burn a disc and it kept crashing, after realizing that when it crashed it looked like it did when I tried the 2.5 OC, I turned the OC down and presto, shit works.

Curious though as to why the computer is faster overall at 2.3 than 2.4. Boot time, program opening, all that shit is faster.

And who gone answer my question about my temps?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #37
Herro

Herro is an unknown quantity at this point
Om1kron, where did you get those stickers with the FINI and CROTCH GRAB etc?

And the pics I was talking about earlier:

-Atom 330 (dual core)
-1GB ram from Kingston
-Hitachi 320GB hdd (2.5 inch)
-120W Pico PSU
-4CM ish fan to draw hot air out, where the slot vents are on the top of case
-wired the power & reset buttons to work, and power LED

We had space for a slimline DVD drive, but we have no need for one.
Herro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #38
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I'm SO down to build a BeagleBoard Carputer! Next year I'll take a peek, but 1200 MIPS, HD video, RS232 is awesome for $150. Add ~$200 for a really nice touchscreen, that's a dope little computer.

Quote:
A company called Hardcore PC built their 'Reactor' computer with basically fully customized components for the mineral oil submersion. There are problems dunking normal components in it, but yeah, it's badass. If I felt like sourcing special heat sinks and all to maximize the cooling effects, I'd be down.

Exclusive: Oil Immersion Cooling Goes Mainstream with Hardcore PC's Reactor | Maximum PC

Quote:
YES! This is why you have to be careful with refrigeration ~ any time you get some parts considerably lower temp than others, you're going to get condensation, and it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #39
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
oil computers look pretty cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok
Old 09-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #40
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
the NES pc is rad as shit. i've been wanting to make an NES media center for a long time. optical drive popping out of the cartridge door and stuff.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #41
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
that oil computer is the biggest waste of shit ever
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #42
Herro

Herro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
the NES pc is rad as shit. i've been wanting to make an NES media center for a long time. optical drive popping out of the cartridge door and stuff.

If you do, make sure you get the mother board as low as possible. I let it sit half the height of the grey part and i got like 2 mm clearance from the CPU fan if I put an optical dirve in there.
Herro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #43
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
that oil computer is the biggest waste of shit ever
This is true, and forget ever using that hardware in a normal computer again.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:03 AM   #44
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Man. This brings me back.

In Highschool, I always built computers for friends and crap.

Now i'm broke. No joke!

I wish i had money to build a custom setup again...

My LAST custom comp was fucking OLD. Old ASUS CVU board, Intel Celeron 1ghz, Kingston 512mb ram, PNY GeForce4 MX. OLD shit.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:15 AM   #45
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Man. This brings me back.

In Highschool, I always built computers for friends and crap.

Now i'm broke. No joke!

I wish i had money to build a custom setup again...

My LAST custom comp was fucking OLD. Old ASUS CVU board, Intel Celeron 1ghz, Kingston 512mb ram, PNY GeForce4 MX. OLD shit.
My file server is an old dual CPU Pentium 3.

Ugh, I think I am about to fold and buy a 13" unibody Macbook Pro refurb tomorrow - I've got a netbook (Win7/OSX), a desktop(WinXP), and a file/development server(NetBSD) but I think it's time to consolidate. Useful laptop and a htpc/dev box/gaming/etc box.... the one nice thing about my new apartment is that elec/cable internet/tv/water/sewer/etc are included in the rent for an extra $175/mo so I don't really mind having 1500 watts of shit running all the time.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #46
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
LOL @ Apple Gaming.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #47
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
LOL @ Apple Gaming.
Indeed, that is why I will always have a Windows box around. I went through the pain of running games under Wine/WineX back when I only ran linux boxen. Fuck that.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #48
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Haha. I'm waiting for Lucid Lynx to come out. It looks amazing.

I love reusing my old setups in Linux. It makes shit feel SUPERFUCKING FAST.

Computer of the Future fast.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #49
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
SSD's make any decently fast computer seem "computer of the future" fast - seriously, you guys have GOT to see that shit.

Windows 7 loading from POST screen (last post screen is RAID) to no-hourglass like 3 seconds? YES, YES, yesssssss~

Load Photoshop CS4 in like 2 seconds? YES.

It's the shit. I hope they don't all, like, die together in a couple months or something.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #50
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SSD = Longer lifespan compared to standard enclosed HDs
Old 09-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #51
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
the oil is a cheap alt for serious overclockers.

also less dangerous chemicals invoved.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #52
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
SSD=A hell of a lot more money than standard enclosed HDs.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #53
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Quote:
SSD=A hell of a lot more money than standard enclosed HDs.
Hi, I'm BillyMays!

Are you tired of hearing that old dated HD running and whirling? Are your transfer speeds feeling a bit dated? I'm Here to introduce to you, THE FUTURE OF COMPUTING!

Longevity, Reliability, and Speed all come included in your SDD package!

If you buy today, I'll include, free of charge, 2 MORE orders of GLOATING FREE!

FREE!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #54
svensko
Zilvia Junkie

svensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to svensko
Quote:
This isn't true if you use a journaled file system (ie ext3) in Linux. I know that at least for USB drives and such there are limited numbers of guaranteed read/writes before they start having issues.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #55
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOROSUN View Post
the oil is a cheap alt for serious overclockers.

also less dangerous chemicals invoved.
Heatsoak's a bitch.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #56
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Heatsoak's a bitch.
What are considered high temps?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #57
S13E
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
S13E will become famous soon enoughS13E will become famous soon enoughS13E will become famous soon enoughS13E will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Hi, I'm BillyMays!

Are you tired of hearing that old dated HD running and whirling? Are your transfer speeds feeling a bit dated? I'm Here to introduce to you, THE FUTURE OF COMPUTING!

Longevity, Reliability, and Speed all come included in your SDD package!

If you buy today, I'll include, free of charge, 2 MORE orders of GLOATING FREE!

FREE!!!!!!
I think you forgot something...

Haven't built a gaming PC since 05/06. Its just too pricey to keep up these days especially with the lack of GREAT games out right now IMO. I've been sticking to Console as of lately and hate wondering how X game will run on this X processor with X amount of ram, ect.... $299 and a hdtv to play on = done! I'd stay on PC for MMO's and FPS tho. I still rock L4D and CS:Source! ARMA2 @ Medium settings? forget it! not on my pc!
S13E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #58
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

What have I done?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #59
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
you've failed us.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #60
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Building the desktop with the parts that come tomorrow. I went Intel I5 and Asus mobo on it.