Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
wbarrett48473 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
s14 Need Sugestions: JDM Kouki Hid Retrofit

Was bored this morning and found the the guide on retrofiting S2k HID lights into a USDM Kouki Headlight.

This One:

I'm sure yall can see that the projector is tiny in comparison to the original one and was wondering if anyone knew of a HID Projector that would closely match the size of a JDM Kouki Headlight (below) since that is whats located on my car right now.

This one for example:

I'm sure someone out there has retrofitted HID's into the JDM headlights but searching turned up nothing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 12-06-2011 at 02:39 PM..
wbarrett48473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Hey, you know what will be WAY easier and much less hassle?

Go to JRTlighting and get a HID kit that plugs right in.

DONE
Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Thats true but considering that the Projectors are already for driving on the wrong side of the road they shine into oncoming traffic; just dropping HID's in would probably kill someone.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, but i'm still looking for a HID Projector thats large enough to replace the JDM one.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
240drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240drifter1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hey, you know what will be WAY easier and much less hassle?

Go to JRTlighting and get a HID kit that plugs right in.

DONE

Haha, werd.

Ive got mad JDM TyT3 purple HIDs from JRTlighting and there badasssssss.
240drifter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Brian
Post Whore!

Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
oh lord.

my beam pattern!!!

the end of the world is NOW!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
0wn3r
Zilvia Addict

0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarrett48473 View Post
Thats true but considering that the Projectors are already for driving on the wrong side of the road they shine into oncoming traffic; just dropping HID's in would probably kill someone.

Thanks for the suggestion tho, but i'm still looking for a HID Projector thats large enough to replace the JDM one.
Usually you can adjust up and down, side to side...

I still haven't seen any good pics of HID kits being installed into USDM kouki headlights....I want to see some cutoff pics.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
240drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 240drifter1
Ill try and get some tonight for joo.

I was planning on taking my camera out and playing around with it tonight anyways.
240drifter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0wn3r View Post

I still haven't seen any good pics of HID kits being installed into USDM kouki headlights....I want to see some cutoff pics.
Here is the cutoff pic from the s2k conversion:

Maybe there is a website that lists all cars that have factory HID's and what sizes they are... but I doubt it
Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/
Old 06-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Tops*
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Tops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfectionTops* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
TSX projectors fit well.

IIRC, S14 projectors are 3" and the TSX projectors are 2.5".
Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
CKAMC
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if what is said above applies to the jdm projector size then the following should fit just right

http://www.hidplanet.com/porsche.html
Old 06-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
pbcstylez
Nissanaholic!

pbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to pbcstylez
i suggest using the e55 3" lens than, but you will have to cut into your housing to fit them

i think you saw my tsx's last time u were here right Chris?

parking lot pimpin...

Seller Feedback here:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...ight=pbcstylez
pbcstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:47 AM   #13
CKAMC
Post Whore!

CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcstylez View Post
i suggest using the e55 3" lens than, but you will have to cut into your housing to fit them

i think you saw my tsx's last time u were here right Chris?
naw man you were rocking the audi for the most part

think you had the 14 back at your place on stands since you were waiting on them weds or somethin else

Either way to the OP, check the diameter of the JDM projector... if its 3 then you will likely be able to fit one of the two projectors mentioned

fucking japan had to screw the us market some more by giving smaller projector.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Just tried to measure the projectors while they are still in the headlight assembly and they appear to be 3" but I wont know exactly until I take the headlight apart.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions guys!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
golfer17
Zilvia Member

golfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to golfer17
Quote:

here's a couple of mine. the pics aren't the best, but the cutoff is definitely good enough not to blind others and I think they look great. Besides my s15 steering wheel, it's one of my favorite mods I've done to the car (though the gt2871r turbo is up there as well...). of note, I've heard this is only works for kouki projectors, the s13's and zenki's do not have this same cutoff.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
0wn3r
Zilvia Addict

0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of0wn3r has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer17 View Post
here's a couple of mine. the pics aren't the best, but the cutoff is definitely good enough not to blind others and I think they look great. Besides my s15 steering wheel, it's one of my favorite mods I've done to the car (though the gt2871r turbo is up there as well...). of note, I've heard this is only works for kouki projectors, the s13's and zenki's do not have this same cutoff.

finally! haha, awesome (edit: THAT SOMEONE WAS NICE ENOUGH TO POST PICTURES FOR ME). what kit did you get and how much have you liked it (blown bulbs, ease of install, etc)?

Last edited by 0wn3r; 06-23-2008 at 09:01 AM..
0wn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #17
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That actually looks horrible but people seem to love drop in kits... If you want HIDs do it right or you're a ricer
Old 06-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #18
CKAMC
Post Whore!

Yeah the s2k cut off looks a lot better than these cheap crap ass drop in kits.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #19
wh0aitznic0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
wh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
oh lord.

my beam pattern!!!

the end of the world is NOW!!!

Oncoming drivers can go suck a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
wh0aitznic0 -- has or had a shocker sticker on his car at one point, is asian with a gooey white center

<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Nothing says, 'I'm broke and still trying', like aftermarket steelies.
wh0aitznic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #20
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Yay another person who knows of HIDPlanet!
+some for joo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #21
Anto
Zilvia Addict

Anto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfection
fuck it

if you're set on going on a 3" lens projector, you're probably gonna have to cut your headlight housing

might as well go TL/Clearlens, the ZKW isn't the only lens you can use now, cop a pair on ebay for $80, plus TL projectors..

mmm..

bixenon

dual highbeam
Anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #22
DreamN
Post Whore!

DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Damn those S2K projectors look really similar in size to the s13 projectors. I wonder if the retrofit would work on them.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #23
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Damn those S2K projectors look really similar in size to the s13 projectors. I wonder if the retrofit would work on them.
Its pretty common to use s2k's in s13's.

Quote:
Quote:
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #24
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
lol light pattern, get fucking serious dude
Old 06-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #25
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer17 View Post

Looks like someone puked a bunch of light onto a wall.

Quote:
Quote:
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #26
MangoDorifto
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
MangoDorifto is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You could use a shroud to fill in the gap and clean up the look of the projector, if it's a big bulky unit. Here's a couple pics of my past retrofit jobs.

04 accord, TSX projector w/ BMW M3 E46 Shroud

98 accord, BMW M3 E46 Bi-Xenon Projector w/ shroud
MangoDorifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #27
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
fx35 bi xenons too would fit probably.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #28
golfer17
Zilvia Member

golfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to golfer17
Quote:
finally! haha, awesome. what kit did you get and how much have you liked it (blown bulbs, ease of install, etc)?
I got some kind of cheaper "zenon hid" kit because a local member who is a good friend of mine was selling them, and had very good luck with them on his atv's and bikes (plus they were the extra small ballasts at a good price). They weren't any harder to install than any other kit, and should only take around 30min. for a pro, to no more than a few hours for a beginner. had them on for almost a year now with no bulb problems, besides the normal ones that happen with all hid kits (bulb does not turn on, so you have to turn it off and back on. this has happened twice and ive seen it happen a couple times on my friends 350z as well as my mom's cl type s). anyways, pics really do not do them justice, the beam pattern really looks great on the street. it's not quite as good as my mom's cl type-s of course, but its close enough for me.

anyways, sorry for the thread jack, and I don't mean to take anything away from the s2k retrofit, that really is a wicked beam pattern (it seems much better than most other stock hid systems i've seen).

btw, someone named pbcstylez neg. repped me for posting up those pics. wth?

Last edited by golfer17; 06-20-2008 at 08:33 AM..
golfer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #29
waynehead05
Zilvia Junkie

waynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to waynehead05
head on over to hid planet. there's me with my hatch (pop up retro) and a couple other 240 guys with retro fits. Lots of good info.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #30
0wn3r
Zilvia Addict

FYI, those pics above aren't alot of glare...from the pictures I've searched for, including the people that install HID kits into stock S13 and S14 zenki housings, you really wouldn't believe just how bad glare can be

but for kouki projectors, I think it beats installing blue halogen bulbs you see rice bags installing.

Now I really wonder if CF eyelids were made to help counter some of the effects of glare