Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
LMK_JdmS13

Trader Rating: (0)
LMK_JdmS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help..Idle problem with S-afc2 and 740injectors

Hi Guys,
I Have been doing a motor upgrade on my S13 w/S13 redtop Sr20. First off I upgraded to a garrett Gt28r turbo and a Z32 maf with some Nismo 740cc injectors,FMIC. I also have a basic fuel controller(s-afcII). My problem has been with the S-afc settings. I have tryed different setting that I have heard for members on this forum, but I havent really seen much guys running the same setup as I am with the Nismo 740 injectors. I try running the hotwire 6in 6out and them when I rev it, it feels kinda slugest past 4k rpm. Next I tryed running 2in 6out, The reving seem alil better, but still doesnt want to idel. My s-afc reads the rpm at 300 when i am really trying to hold my idel to 1k rpm. I also am running a bit rich with some white smoke coming out the tailpipe.

What kind of setups do you guys think I should be trying. Or do you think the Nismo injectors are too big with this setup.

I also have a z32 fuel filter, walbro 255 fuel pump.
I am still waiting on my Nismo FPR( Do you think this is why it runs all funky).
stock manifold
custom 3in exhaust with a test pipe.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Guys
Paul

Last edited by LMK_JdmS13; 05-05-2006 at 12:25 AM..
LMK_JdmS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

smithers584 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok well with a z32 MAFS you need to run 2 in and 6 out on the hotwire. you are at the limit with your 740's, i believe that is the max you can run with a safc II and i think even with that you will be runnning a bit rich no matter how you tune it. have you tried adjusting your AICV? make sure you unplug your tps before doing it. try that and see if you can get your idle up, and then once you get your idle up you are problably gonna hear a lot of popping out the exhaust, start pulling fuel out on your low map setting. you are gonna have to pull out tons of it, im not sure but maybe around -30% or so, thats just a rough guess, just do it till your idle gets as smooth as possible. i think i would get rid of the 740's or step up to stand alone. you know deatchwerks sells like 640's or something like that, they would work awesome with a safcII. they sell for about 309, minus 10 percent for being a zilvia member, and if you send him your 370cc from your sr he will give you another 100 off, so it comes to like 170 bucks.
smithers584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
jdm_s14_zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
jdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of lightjdm_s14_zenki is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jdm_s14_zenki
740cc is huge. you got an fpr to go with that setup? afc will allow that big of injectors but 550cc is ideal...IMO
jdm_s14_zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
LMK_JdmS13

No I havent tryed adjusting the AICV yet. I'll try that in the morning tho, thanks. I plan on getting the greddy e-manage ultimate. I heard that this would work good, but I dont plan on this for another couple months. So I would like to get the most out of the s-afc and maybe get some different injectors if this setup doesnt work.

Thanks Paul
Old 05-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
DeatschWerks
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
DeatschWerks is making a name for him/her selfDeatschWerks is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try 2in 4out

Theoretically the AFC can adjust for those injectors but it really is pushing it. With the GT28R, I'd suggest something smaller.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
91s13

91s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
check your o-rings, make sure they didn't get cut or broken when you installed them into the fuel rail. Had the same problem, all settings were good on the AFC. Car would not idle and had white smoke.
91s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
ezyride

ezyride is an unknown quantity at this point
to setup idle after tuning.

the injectors are big and drop alot of fuel when idle resulting in stalling.. The SAFC doesn't allow u to fine tune that on idle.. try opening the throttle plate more on the throttle body.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #8
LMK_JdmS13

So I finally go a chance to work on my car today. I checked the o-rings on the injectors, they look good still, I also changed out my fouled out spark plugs and started to change the settings on the s-afc to 2in 4out with about -30% to -36% fuel out the low map setting. When I went to start it on the first crank, it started and idle right away. Then as I gave it a bit of gas, the rev was kind slugest again, I tryed to hold the idle still. I started to hear some pop out the exhaust when I notice the theres was still white smoke coming out, not as much as before, but the car idle and I didnt have to mess with the AICV. So then I changed the settings again to 2in 6out, Now she started to acted up again. With the settings at 2in 6out the car didnt want to idle, it took kinda long to start this time, but when it did it just wanted to die. When I try to hold the idle, it just sparys out a cloud out white smoke. I tryed to put the setting back to what works, which was 2in 4out, just like deatschWerks said. Now I doesnt even want to idle anymore.

What do you guys think I should do, I know I need to get some smaller injectors, but i dont have enough cash for those, not with all that things I got lately.

Last edited by LMK_JdmS13; 05-09-2006 at 05:14 PM..
Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
LMK_JdmS13

You guys think I can run the the stock Sr injectors with this setting up for the mean time. How would the car react with gt28r.

Thanks Paul
Old 05-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

yeah you can run your stock injectors, just keep boost below 12 psi i would say, to keep it from killing your 370's and getting too lean. if you do that try running around 0 on your low throttle map settings and see what happens. plus that will let you know immediately if your injectors are causing the problem, that way you dont go spend money on smaller ones if they arent. but the 740 are too big, for the turbo and the SAFC.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
LMK_JdmS13

OK I got the stock sr injectors back in and changed the map setting. It seems to idle alot better, hardly any smoke, but you can still see some when I rev it up a bit. The rev is still abit slugest, I have the hotwire at 2in 4out, which seems to be the only one that idles smoother.

I was checking over the sparks and wiring harness around the turbo side, when I notice that my harness for the o2 sensor has completly ripped off from the o2 housin. Could this be the reason that I have been have different problems with the idle,injectors and running rich. The o2 housin reads Air/Fuel correct?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
smithers584
Zilvia Junkie

yeah my SR ran like complete shit when my o2 sensor was bad. you can either buy a new one or resplice the old one back together. they are only like 60 bucks. if you have the skinny one you need to get it off a 1987 300zx tt, all the other years are the fat one.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
LMK_JdmS13

ok I got everything running right, now when I rev it up you can hear lots of poping sounds. What would that be. I put back my stock injectors and it idles better. The afc still dosent read the same rpm as the tach, what could that also be.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
Goinsleeper
Leaky Injector

Goinsleeper is a jewel in the roughGoinsleeper is a jewel in the roughGoinsleeper is a jewel in the roughGoinsleeper is a jewel in the roughGoinsleeper is a jewel in the roughGoinsleeper is a jewel in the roughGoinsleeper is a jewel in the rough
are you 100% positive that you wired the safc2 correctly? im running the z32 maf with 650cc's from deatsch (which i didnt know about saving money by being a zilvia member, lol) and it idles fine. what BOV are you running? make sure it isnt leaking. i have the greddy type rs and it was leaking so i had to tighten it down. that helped the idle ALOT! also kept it from trying to die after i got on it. if the bov is open at idle, that would be one reason youre running so rich. also check your vac lines and make sure there are no leaks. also check the ecu for codes, just in case.

92' 240sx SR'ed
~motor's back in!
Goinsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote