Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Five_5Zigen_4
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Five_5Zigen_4 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
SR20DET- Black Smoke, super rich, horrible idle and major sputtering...

K...before I get flamed for this, because I KNOW its been talked about a million times, I have used the search function, I have used google, I have used other forums.

On to the problem.

I just got done swapping in my s13 sr. The setup is as follows: Red top running 550cc Deatchwerkz injectors, Z32 MAF, S15 turbo and tuned ECU, FMIC, 3" exhaust all the way back, walbro fuel pump, Apexi AVC-R (not hooked up to boost yet, only using for basic monitoring). Had issues with it when I first tried starting it up, and it ended up being an Ignitor chip (was getting power on one side, but not the other).

Now that it actually starts, it run VERY VERY rich. Bad enough to make your eyes burn, even with the garage door open. It also sputters at idle (sounds like a mis-fire), and puffs out black smoke. When you rev it, it sputters very badly, sometimes to the point where it just wants to die. But, if I barely give it gas, it will accelerate enough to be able to drive it...most times. When you give it any more than 1/8th to 1/4 throttle, it spits and sputters, back fires a bit, and doesn't want to go anywhere. And more black smoke. With no load on it, I can get it to rev, but it still sputters a bit.

Now, for what I've tried:

-Tried re-stabbing the cas/reset the base timing..still a no-go
-Disconnected the MAF, no change in how the engine idles/runs.
-Pulled out the spark plugs and they were black as hell (carbon black, not wet)..cleaned those off and put them back in. Still sputters/rich.
-Played with the TPS as well as disconnected it (did that during the timing procedure). Still a no-go.

Going to try to disconnect the AVC-R, just to be sure its not messing anything up with the signals. Also going to play with the CAS a bit just to make sure that is good (I spent about 45minutes making damn sure it was lined up properly). Also gonna double check my fuel rail to make sure its all good to go.

If you guys have any suggestions, I would love to entertain them. I really need this thing on the road, as its my DD lol (what a reliable DD, eh? haha)

Anyways, thanks in advance guys.

I appreciate any info you guys can get me
Sponsored Links