Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
SR20HAYES

Trader Rating: (0)
SR20HAYES is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
z32 MAF Intermittent issue. Need Help.

I finished a turbo upgrade on my sr20. I'm using a ROM tune that is tuned for my turbo, injectors, and z32 MAF. Since the Install my car sometimes idles perfect and other times a little bit rough, nothing serious but it does bother me. I'm also having an intermittent problem while driving normal through city traffic. When I let off the throttle then get back on the throttle my AFR goes completely lean and my car is very hesitant and does not want to accelerate. I usually throw it in neutral and stay off of the throttle until I see my AFR go back to normal and then the car drives normal again. This issue happens very random and does not always happen. I have preformed a fuel pressure test and when the AFR goes lean the fuel pressure is normal and will even raise as I push on the throttle. So fuel pressure is not the issue. I had my ROM tuned ECU sent back for testing on another vehicle and the tuner said that they didn't experience any of the issues I'm having, so the ECU checks out fine. My next guess is the z32 MAF. I don't have anyone to test it on their car or to even lend me another known working z32 MAF. So I wanted to get some more opinions before I buy another MAF because I just spent $80 on this one a couple months ago. Anyone ever have a similar problem or can at least back up my theory of it being the MAF? All help is greatly appreciated.
SR20HAYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
SR20HAYES

I found an advance auto parts near me that has a rebuilt z32 maf. I'm going to pick it up in the morning and see if it solves the issue.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
SR20HAYES

Ok so I picked up a rebuilt MAF and I'm still having the exact same issue. I'm lost as fuck right now. What else might cause this problem??? I need some help on this one...
Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
SR20HAYES

Along with my install I also put on a sr20de TB and a recirculated BOV. Could one of these be the issue? Something from the istall isnt right cause the car ran flawlessly be4 I upgraded.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
go to your car, with a multimeter, and back probe the tps plug, koeo, read the voltage from the middle pin(B) and ground.(chassis) reply, then read the valtage from the 1st pin(A)
Then check continuty from pin(C) to ground
if you get no continuity try swapping A and C
for the test.
Also what is your base idle, and base timing and who is the tuner of your ecu?

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
SR20HAYES

Thank you for your reply. I was just out side scratching my head and decided to unplug the o2 sensor and go for a drive. The problem went away! So it was some issue with my o2 sensor. I having been going crazy to figure this out. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if it was your 02 sensor you probably have other issues, the stock 02 cannot make you go full lean the ecu controls the injectors and you will go completely lean only for a few reasons. I would also like to lookat your tune!
But it's great that your problem is resolved.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
SR20HAYES

Yea I'm still driving it easy and once I plug in a new o2 sensor if the problem dont come back then it had to be the sensor. It had a little pinch in the top of the metal housing(of the o2 sensor). Idk if that could cause some type of short that would cause the issue or what. Ill give an update when i get a new o2 sensor plugged in and say wether or not i have any more problems. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
SR20HAYES

Ok so I got the new o2 sensor and the car runs good with no more intermetten lean issues. My o2 sensor was at fault. Hopefully this post helps someone in the future. I never would of expected the o2 to be at fault.