Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
770_s14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
770_s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rb20 swap into a 96 240sx?

hey i was looking into swapping my car soon and im thinking of putting in a rb20det into my car. what is all needed to make this swap work? i tried looking up infos about this swap but all i could find is the rb20 swap into the s13 only. So i would like to know what i need for this swap and what i should change on the engine?
770_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No info because it doesn't make sense. Upfront it maybe cost effective but in the long run you end up with an antiquated under powered (comparitivly speaking) engine. Just save your money for an SR or RB25/26 or even KAT. The results of this proposed swap will be dissapointing at best, why go w/ a 2.0L 6 instead of a 2.0L 4 with far more support and a capability to perform in your chassis?
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
AutoKA24DE
Zilvia Member

AutoKA24DE is just really niceAutoKA24DE is just really niceAutoKA24DE is just really niceAutoKA24DE is just really niceAutoKA24DE is just really niceAutoKA24DE is just really niceAutoKA24DE is just really niceAutoKA24DE is just really nice
not to mention the lack of OEM and Aftermarket support for parts.

I've contemplated this swap as well, but in the end it just didnt seem wise.
AutoKA24DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 770_s14 View Post
hey i was looking into swapping my car soon and im thinking of putting in a rb20det into my car. what is all needed to make this swap work? i tried looking up infos about this swap but all i could find is the rb20 swap into the s13 only. So i would like to know what i need for this swap and what i should change on the engine?
Look for a RB forum if you need more info. Nico club or 240sxforums is a good place to look. You need the Factory Xmember from the R32 or a mount Kit. Then you need to do harness conversion for the S14, It's a lot more work than doing the S13 which is only like 6 or 8 wires to get it running. Don't need a drive shaft since the stocker will work as long as it's a 5speed. S13's are easier to convert S14's more work to convert. Before you drop the motor in change the timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump and all the rubber hoses under the intake manifold. http://www.nismoparts.com/cart/?pn=RB20

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, you guys are being really nice today. The biggest hurdle you are going to face is OBDII compatibility. In most states you will fail emissions if you try a swap like that. I'm in the same boat. I'm probably leaning toward an obdII LS1 swap so I can still daily drive and pass emissions. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
jotronic

jotronic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking at buying an S13 with the RB20 swap already done but I'm thinking about the long term and if it's worth it or just buy a solid shell and do an SR myself. Everything "seems" solid and done right but you just never know unless you were involved from the beginning.

Short term savings as the work is already done on an RB or long term reliability and peace of mind with the SR on my own. The RB20 car is 8K (with all suspension and brake upgrades). Do it myself, 3800 for a 60k mile all original unmolested 89 coupe and work from there. Decisions decisions.
jotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What about in an OBD I s14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
kustom50kid

kustom50kid is an unknown quantity at this point
What is wrong with swapping the RB? It seems to be the thing to do in Australia, and they've had the support for building Silvia-based cars a lot longer than we have in the states. If you know the right people and websites, you can find any part you need for the RB20DET, just check rb-performance.net, if he doesn't have it he can get it. Plus you can't be the scream of a turbo six at high revs. I love my RB20 S13, just my 2 cents...
kustom50kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #9
Ratchet
Leaky Injector

Ratchet is not welcome here anymoreRatchet is not welcome here anymoreRatchet is not welcome here anymoreRatchet is not welcome here anymoreRatchet is not welcome here anymoreRatchet is not welcome here anymoreRatchet is not welcome here anymoreRatchet is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to Ratchet
i just checked rb-performance.net
i didnt see JACK .
Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
drftrx21

drftrx21 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm installing a rb20det into a 95 240 right now. the only problem I can think of is it fell off a crate before my buddy got it and broke a couple of brackets. so i'm going to have to do some sourcing myself.
drftrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
HillaBean13
Zilvia Member

HillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfectionHillaBean13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to HillaBean13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 770_s14 View Post
if you want information on any parts you can contact us at rb-performance and well help you decide the best swap for you and help you with any parts needed!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
Blackparade
Zilvia FREAK!

Blackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfection
If your local to socal, pay a visit to one of the 626 drift crew events. Ill be there in my RB20 S13. Then tell him its not worth it. All ive got is a blitz filter and 3 in exhaust! =)
Blackparade is offline   Reply With Quote