Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
OEM style pads with aggressive initial bite?

Just like how you can get different compounds for Wilwood dynalite calipers(or any Wilwood for that matter), I was wondering if there were any rear pads for an s13/s14 rear caliper with an aggressive initial bite at colder temps?

I dont really mind if my rotors will get tore up, but i'd prefer to run a compound that isn't so abrasive.

The compound I liked best from Wilwood was their Polymatrix B. Please post up if you've got any good recommendations.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
If you're looking for a street duty pad, I'd suggest a Carbotech Bobcat, or Carbotech AX6 (formally Panther). I run the Bobcat compound on my Maxima (daily driver) and love them...great cold performance, but still work super awesome when hot.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
project mu d1 spec pads

they are made for what we do
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have Hawk HPS pads front and back on my S14, love em, a lot more stopping power than stock, less fade as whale.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
If you're looking for a street duty pad, I'd suggest a Carbotech Bobcat, or Carbotech AX6 (formally Panther). I run the Bobcat compound on my Maxima (daily driver) and love them...great cold performance, but still work super awesome when hot.
looks interesting; do you have a p/n?

Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
project mu d1 spec pads
they are made for what we do
andy we've had this discussion before lol i'm not spending 140+- for a pair of rear pads unless i absolutely have to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
I have Hawk HPS pads front and back on my S14, love em, a lot more stopping power than stock, less fade as whale.
thats what i have now, i haven't used them yet but i've driven on a hatch that has them and i was not too impressed.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
XxIriponzeesxX

XxIriponzeesxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Im actually interested in this thread too. Looking to upgrade my pads without getting into a big brake kit.
XxIriponzeesxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Funny. I don't take it easy on my car, I drive pretty aggresivly (imo) and hvae yet to have a problem with them, even on the track, no fade, nothing.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Carbotech Brakes
Carbotech Performance Brakes

Again if you're just using it for street, run the Bobcats or the AX6. THe AX6 are an entry level autocross pad that has nice cold bite. I always run Bobcats on my street cars as they rock, and are durable.

Carbotech also makes higher end pads (XP series) that are for track duty...I run XP 14's on the 240 and they work incrediably...but I'll be the first to admit that leaving the driveway in the morning to work is fun sometimes...while they do work better than stock, I'd say they aren't for a daily driven/street car.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Chris28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For what it's worth, Hawk HP+ and Project μ have very similar coefficients of friction for cold initial bite. I run HP+ in the rear and Axxis Metallics up front. Granted this is for drift events, if I were running HPDE's I would definitely switch to Carbotech XP12 or XP14 for the fronts.
Chris28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris28 View Post
For what it's worth, Hawk HP+ and Project μ have very similar coefficients of friction for cold initial bite. I run HP+ in the rear and Axxis Metallics up front. Granted this is for drift events, if I were running HPDE's I would definitely switch to Carbotech XP12 or XP14 for the fronts.
XP12 would be a bit much for most HPDE1 guys, but are manageable for sure. I'd forsee a ton of flat spotted tires

FWIW: I don't buy into the JDM nonsense when it comes to brakes...especialyl the Project Mu nonsense. i'm sure their stuff is goofd and all, but in the grand scheme of things you're paying for the name, and the seafoam green.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
wait...you guys run fancy pads in the rear. I've always noticed the cheapest autozone pads bite really well cold.

for the fronts though...porterfields. Hawks are shitty IMO.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
wait...you guys run fancy pads in the rear. I've always noticed the cheapest autozone pads bite really well cold.

for the fronts though...porterfields. Hawks are shitty IMO.
Car to elaborate? Some of the better Hawk Pads are quite decent.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Car to elaborate? Some of the better Hawk Pads are quite decent.
Almost everyone I knew ran hawk pads. I'm not sure who referred me, but I think RoadRace said try the porterfields out, so I went down to porterfield and tried out the rs4s?...i'm not sure the specific model, but it's not the race one, I think it was designed for "occasional" track use and spirited driving.

Told my buddy about how I brake checked myself super fucking hard in traffic one day (about a week after I put them on), and after his hawks were ready for replacement, he went with porterfields.

None of us have ever gone back to Hawks....

I've ran them on a NA base model lancer with about 170hp. Used them on my Subaru WRX at track days. Put them on my s14 (almost everyone that drove the 14 was surprised by the braking)...and I'm sure I'll put them on my 13.

I even had Porterfield make a custom set for my brothers Wrangler (lifted oversize tires...yadda yadda...shit couldn't stop to save it's life)..and lets just say...it's night and day.

They do take a little time to warm up.....like a 5 minute drive in traffic is perfect...once warm....they were awesome. The ABS system in the subaru would go nuts when we were running mountains and doing the occasional track days.

The group of us are some pretty aggressive drivers....i used to fly by evo's and sti' all the time in my lancer. Once I drove a subaru, I couldn't figure out how I was passing these guys...that car drives itself. The braking with ABS was incredible..... but then again, i've never drove above 120mph, and heavy braking wasn't needed all the time as I usually drive twisty stuff more than highspeed accel and decel.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
codyace
Post Whore!

I didn't mean to make that seem as a dig against Porterfield, as their stuff is nice...just found it odd to write off Hawk, when some of their track pads do work prety well comparability (again this is at the full on pad level, maybe not so much on street cars).

In regard to custom PF pads, a buddy of mine had them make some pads for his Lightning, they work great haha.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
I didn't mean to make that seem as a dig against Porterfield, as their stuff is nice...just found it odd to write off Hawk, when some of their track pads do work prety well comparability (again this is at the full on pad level, maybe not so much on street cars).

In regard to custom PF pads, a buddy of mine had them make some pads for his Lightning, they work great haha.
Oh yeah, I don't use any of their full race stuff. Can't compare. Just the drift setup/ casual track days. More so comparing the typical hawk pads you see at like Sonic Motor, and others like that.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
The ferodo ds2500's have a pretty good initial bite and solid torque, they'd definitely be worth taking a look at for rear pads. The DS3000's are pretty solid for heavier cars on a full track day, dunno how well they'd be matched up for a rear pad for a 240.
vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

A few of my e30 buddies have had good experience with Porterfields, i cant believe they slipped my mind.

Those ferodo's also seem like a good alternative, i'll def. be looking into them.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Porterfield R4 AP230 Rear Brake Pads 89-1 94 NISSAN 240SX w ABS

taken from FR Sport's page:

"R4 series provides high initial bite for immediate brake response while yielding extremely consistent modulation and predictability. This is great for all road courses, oval track, rally, vintage racing, autocross, club events, and professional driving events"

I think we found a winner! For $90 for a set of rear pads, I'm excited to try em out.
If these bite as nice as i hope they will, paired with rebuilt calipers they should work as well as a hydro.