Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #14821
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Whenever I turn left, there is a loud creaking noise coming from the front end on the driver side. It does that when I turn right too, but it's not as bad. It happened while I was drifting this weekend (On a track, wasn't being stupid on the street), on sunday. The course had lots of elevation changes, and the driver wheel was lifted off the ground slightly on one run I am thinking and then when it touched back down the car started sliding like crap, the noise started, and I noticed my driver side fender is now super damaged, somehow. What could that be? I'm honestly thinking pillow mount on that coilover. Could that be it?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #14822
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Whenever I turn left, there is a loud creaking noise coming from the front end on the driver side. It does that when I turn right too, but it's not as bad. It happened while I was drifting this weekend (On a track, wasn't being stupid on the street), on sunday. The course had lots of elevation changes, and the driver wheel was lifted off the ground slightly on one run I am thinking and then when it touched back down the car started sliding like crap, the noise started, and I noticed my driver side fender is now super damaged, somehow. What could that be? I'm honestly thinking pillow mount on that coilover. Could that be it?
Sounds like it.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #14823
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Just the cometic that has some anal retentive(viton) coating on it that needs mirror smooth.
So what would be a decent method to getting that finish? Because mines def not mirror smooth and cometic seems to be the only company that makes a gasket thick enough to work...
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #14824
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
The viton coating is what makes cometic gaskets able to be torqued down, then walked away from. Other gaskets, you have to come back after an hours worth of driving and torque them down again. Cometic, torque it once, walk away.
I use them exclusively on my Sporty cafe racer. That bike will literally shake itself to death when it hits 7500rpm and north of 165, but the engine is bulletproof and I have never had a Cometic gasket come unsealed and let oil loose. Lesser gaskets? ONCE.
The Viton is to provide extra cold sealing. You still need Torque to Yield bolts or studs for any MLS gasket.
Cometic is the only gasket I have had weep on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetijeff View Post
So what would be a decent method to getting that finish? Because mines def not mirror smooth and cometic seems to be the only company that makes a gasket thick enough to work...
Milling machine just needs good tolerances(vertical and rate) to get down to 30~50. Most can only do 80~100.
Closest place to me is still an hour or two away that can do it.

You should be able to get a APEXi in 1.5 or 1.8mm. I forget how big cosworth goes.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #14825
Sugoi_Style
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Sugoi_Style is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hi I was wondering, how can one fab up the extended wing stands for the oe se wing? Or where I could get them? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Heres another shot...
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #14826
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The Viton is to provide extra cold sealing. You still need Torque to Yield bolts or studs for any MLS gasket.
Cometic is the only gasket I have had weep on me.

Milling machine just needs good tolerances(vertical and rate) to get down to 30~50. Most can only do 80~100.
Closest place to me is still an hour or two away that can do it.

You should be able to get a APEXi in 1.5 or 1.8mm. I forget how big cosworth goes.
Awesome thanks for the info
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #14827
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Sounds like it.
Ahh... of course. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #14828
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did a shell swap a while back, and the shell i swapped to was an automatic. i did the auto to manual conversion easily, since my old shell was a manual (sr20) and now when i shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear i have to have the piece that houses the hvac controls and cd player out because the shifter will hit it before it shifts into gear...what would have done this?
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #14829
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Chrillz View Post
I did a shell swap a while back, and the shell i swapped to was an automatic. i did the auto to manual conversion easily, since my old shell was a manual (sr20) and now when i shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear i have to have the piece that houses the hvac controls and cd player out because the shifter will hit it before it shifts into gear...what would have done this?

did you put in the shifter backwards?
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #14830
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
What injectors do the s14 sr blacktop with the t28 bb use?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #14831
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
^Same injectors as S13. 370cc
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #14832
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
did you put in the shifter backwards?
i didnt touch it, motor/trans got pulled from my old shell and put right into this one. i did swap dash's though. i used the dash i had in my coupe because it was uncracked and put it in a hatch. i thought they were both the same though...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #14833
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
so I asked about my leak coming out of the back of the flare nut on my ps high pressure hard line.. if I were to re flare the hardline and would that be an easier fix rather than to fine a new hard line ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #14834
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Ahh... of course. Thanks.
Jack that wheel up and grab the coilover and try and shake it.
Quote:
i didnt touch it, motor/trans got pulled from my old shell and put right into this one. i did swap dash's though. i used the dash i had in my coupe because it was uncracked and put it in a hatch. i thought they were both the same though...
I have seen a lot of backwards shifters on motorsets. Must be a fad in JP. Sometimes I swear the shifter has been bent. I usually just get a B&M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
so I asked about my leak coming out of the back of the flare nut on my ps high pressure hard line.. if I were to re flare the hardline and would that be an easier fix rather than to fine a new hard line ???
If you have the tool to do the double flair it shouldn't be to hard. But, a new line would be easier.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #14835
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
oh so the flare on the ps line is a double flare .. hm didn't know that .. would any one happen to know what size flare nut I would need for an OEM set up ??

S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #14836
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

I have seen a lot of backwards shifters on motorsets. Must be a fad in JP. Sometimes I swear the shifter has been bent. I usually just get a B&M.
i had this motor in another chassis and it shifted just fine in there unless it some how got spun around without removing the shifter at all?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #14837
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
No, the shifter is keyed 180 degrees apart.

You're saying you yourself pulled the motor out of the car with the shifter still attached to the trans and bolted it into the new car without anyone removing the shifter?

If your new dash is bolted in correctly and your motor/trans are mounted correctly in their spots - the dash is the same, chassis layout is the same, bezel is the same.... it really, really sounds like your shifter is reversed. Plus most people will pull the shifter when they swap motors, it goes in easier.

Just pull the shifter, turn it around and check.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #14838
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
i had this motor in another chassis and it shifted just fine in there unless it some how got spun around without removing the shifter at all?
Wait, you pulled the engine/trans without removing the shifter???

To the best of my knowledge that's not even possible. If that's what you did you probably did bend it removing/installing the engine. You MUST remove the shifter to remove the trans by itself or with the engine...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #14839
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post

To the best of my knowledge that's not even possible. If that's what you did you probably did bend it removing/installing the engine. You MUST remove the shifter to remove the trans by itself or with the engine...
haha oh...i must have been high or something. you're completely right. i did pull the shifter. must have put it in backwards. thanks guys. ignore my retard
Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #14840
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Back once again, Is there anyway to ID a diff with just the gears?
The numbers on it are 38421 P9000

Also on the ring gear there's "49:12"
EDIT:
After a little searching my question changed. It's showing the diff is from a 300zx, datsun 720, 280z, and 200sx?

Last edited by Grocery Cart; 09-10-2013 at 11:56 PM..
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #14841
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Cart View Post
Back once again, Is there anyway to ID a diff with just the gears?
The numbers on it are 38421 P9000

Also on the ring gear there's "49:12"
EDIT:
After a little searching my question changed. It's showing the diff is from a 300zx, datsun 720, 280z, and 200sx?
It's a 4.08 out of a R200. Nothing special. Shelf stock
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #14842
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post

I actually done with with the shifter on while removing motor/tranny.
But reinstalling was a different story, i actually had to take it off.
But yes, REMOVE THE SHIFTER make life easier when you have snap ring tools lol

Quote:
haha oh...i must have been high or something. you're completely right. i did pull the shifter. must have put it in backwards. thanks guys. ignore my retard
It's okay, it happens. Glad we could help
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #14843
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
oh so the flare on the ps line is a double flare .. hm didn't know that .. would any one happen to know what size flare nut I would need for an OEM set up ??

Did you replace the O-ring yet?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #14844
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm in the process of doing a 5 lug hub swap/z32 brake swap and I'm confused because I was reading some threads that said you can't use z32 5 lug hubs on a s13 is this true?

Now lets say hypothetically I buy these Contano 240SX 5-Lug Wheel Hub Conversions the s13 set 2x front/2x rear lugs. And lets say I bought 2 front z32 rotors, will the rotors fit on those 5 lugs? If not would I need to buy the s14 front lugs in order for the z32 rotors to fit?

If none of these are correct can someone please tell me the necessary items I would need to complete this swap. Thanks.
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #14845
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^Z32 N/A 5 lug rear hubs fit the S13.
Yes the z32 rotors will fit.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #14846
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
^Z32 N/A 5 lug rear hubs fit the S13.
Yes the z32 rotors will fit.
The z32 rotors would fit on the s13 5 lug hubs?
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #14847
Reece
Nissanaholic!

So this isn't an S chassis question, but something I need to know. My daily driver is a 93 Camry with an autotragic gearbox. Yesterday while driving, it had it in drive (of course) and the shifter dropped down to second on its own. That's never happened to me before, what might that be? I don't know shit about automatics so I don't really have any idea of what could be wrong.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #14848
Oggy

Oggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Can a uni-body chassis ever wear out?

I'm considering buying bone stock 380k mile 240sx. The paint is shot but the body looks nice and straight, and the owner insists its rust free. I would want to swap the engine and refresh the suspension anyway, but I really don't want to have to deal with chassis repairs/reinforcements (i.e. seam welding).

Obviously the car was well cared for all it's life or it wouldn't be stock with 380,000 miles, but even still, that much use takes a toll on pretty much everything else, is the chassis any different?

Thanks
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #14849
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:

Yup, but the thing is I'm not sure what size line the OE stuff is, nor if you can find a suitable imperial size to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Did you replace the O-ring yet?
Do those fittings have o rings? I know the rack does but unsure on the inline thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Can a uni-body chassis ever wear out?

I'm considering buying bone stock 380k mile 240sx. The paint is shot but the body looks nice and straight, and the owner insists its rust free. I would want to swap the engine and refresh the suspension anyway, but I really don't want to have to deal with chassis repairs/reinforcements (i.e. seam welding).

Obviously the car was well cared for all it's life or it wouldn't be stock with 380,000 miles, but even still, that much use takes a toll on pretty much everything else, is the chassis any different?

Thanks
If it's a straight car and not bent, and you're swapping everything anyway....why not. I'd not consider milesage on anything going to the track. Now going to be a streeter, I'm a not a fan...call me crazy but I see cars last forever with some owners, the switch owners, and the car has a trans bust or a rear break in two weeks.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #14850
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Do those fittings have o rings? I know the rack does but unsure on the inline thing.
Yes. I posted a link to the thread which shows it at the bottom of the last page, but here it is again. I redid my high pressure line and it cost $55 and is hands down better than an internet kit.

The picture is blurry, but at the tip you can see the O-ring. That is the sealing mechanism.