Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
NMK

Trader Rating: (0)
NMK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240 HICAS steering rack

Hi guys,

I am looking for a 240 HICAS steering rack.

I know that they are as hard to find as unicorns in wild life.

Does anyone know a shop / brake yard worth asking?

Cheers,

Kilian
NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
your best bet is to eliminate the HICAS setup altogether. HICAS racks are VERY rare and are usually kind of expensive when you do find them. youd be much better off removing the HICAS unit and running new lines + a new standard rack.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
HICAS FRONT steering racks are no different than a standard rack in regards to hydraulic line routing. HICAS FRONT racks are said to have a marginally quicker ratio however. In my USDM s13 I installed a HICAS rack and in my JDM s13 it came with HICAS and I converted the entire rear subframe to non-HICAS s13. The only options to remove a rear HICAS rack are to install solid arm stoppers or convert the entire subframe.

FYI...
Old 01-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Also there is practically no way to identify a front HICAS vs. front non-HICAS racks unless you personally pull the rack from a HICAS car and KNOW. As far as I remember, I sent out my rack to have it rebuilt and I stamped it myself with identification so when it came back I knew it was the same one and not a standard rack if they decided to swap them on me.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
NMK

Thanks for the info guys - I am running a S15 rear subframe (hence no HICAS anyway). I am after the HICAS rack for the slightly better ratio.

The only way of identifiying a HICAS rack is to count the number or rotations required for lock to lock.

I do not mind, if its more expensive than a standard Rack
My concern is to actually find one....
Old 01-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Easier to modify the spindle for quicker steering than trying to find a rack.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
jdhariwal
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jdhariwal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just put up a post in the WTB section.. took about a month but Suspicion Garage ended up having one and they contacted me and I got it for 120.. Definitely Hicas and I compared with my stock rack.

Then I ended up going with a full PBM setup, with coils, knuckles, FLCA, inner and outer tie rods with the offset spacer, and their solid rack bushing. Also have a power brace. The Hicas rack combined with the knuckles, holy fuck, that things insanely fun to slide. But very sensitive to input as well. You'll find one, just keep an eye out. Also, Pick n Pull, you never know.
jdhariwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
NMK

@jdhariwal,

Thanks for the hint, I will ask Suspicious Garage.

Did you drive the HICAS rack before changing out the knuckles? It has been stated to have a "marginally quicker ratio". Or is the response you mentioning comming from the knuckles?

(btw, I try not to be sliding - not always easy though.... )
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I installed a HICAS rack in my s14 with stock knuckles and poly bushings and noticed a significant improvement at lower speeds. The quicker ratio makes it more fun on mountain roads because I feel I have to do less work.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
NMK

Sounds good thanks.

I struggle the most to open up the steering fast enough, once the rear goes. The CA18 with GT2860RS is not the nicest when it comes to torque delivery when it comes on boost.

I hope to be more confident, if I have a faster steeing, to be able to react faster....