Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #211
sildrift86
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
sildrift86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
bitchesss!!!!

you dont realize how much i envy your guys talent…

maybe one day ill be able to do the same
sildrift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #212
fakts13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks blu808. yah, that bracket took a while to cut and file the ends round match the peterson bracket. The drum idea is pretty clever, I never would have thought of that. The only thing we've made out of those drums were BBQ's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
fakts13: Really nice work. Those lines are awesome. That is usually where people skimp out. Did you really make that oil tank bracket? It is sick!

fromxtor: There is actually a chain of plastic stores in cali called tap plastics. They have a location next to my shop.

One thing on the wheel tubs. Everyones work looks really good. One way to get the radius pieces for the fenders is to get a 55 gallon drum from a supply store for $20 and cut it up. They have enough metal to make about 12 fenders. lol.
Sounds ghetto, but if you are making these at home and dont have a slip roller. Why not?

fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #213
ditch_bound

ditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-known
check out my new top mount intercooler

ditch_bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #214
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_bound View Post
check out my new top mount intercooler

That's not an intercooler, it's a plenum for a blow through setup.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #215
2bad240
Leaky Injector

2bad240 has a spectacular aura about2bad240 has a spectacular aura about2bad240 has a spectacular aura about2bad240 has a spectacular aura about2bad240 has a spectacular aura about2bad240 has a spectacular aura about2bad240 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo View Post
That's not an intercooler, it's a plenum for a blow through setup.

i think he knows that, he was being funny.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #216
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad240 View Post
i think he knows that, he was being funny.
Oh ... Now I look like an idiot.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #217
firelizard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
firelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I must be the idiot because I don't get it.

edit: looked it up. looked for the carburetor. got the joke.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #218
ditch_bound

ditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-knownditch_bound is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo View Post
Oh ... Now I look like an idiot.
I just said intercooler cuz ive got a subaru with top mount and thats what it reminded me of. I guess its a little creative to use a muffler but....... nah its stupid.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #219
ditch_bound

great now I have negative rep cuz I posted a stupid pic? cool.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #220
kingston240
Zilvia Member

kingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond reputekingston240 has a reputation beyond repute
So, does anyone have tips for welding steel overhead/ vertical in a tight situation? think under the car.

Im using a Millermatic DVI2 with 0.030 solid core wire and mystery gas. I have to find out what it is. I asked my dad what he got when he filled it up and he didnt know.

-Matt
Old 01-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #221
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_bound View Post
I just said intercooler cuz ive got a subaru with top mount and thats what it reminded me of. I guess its a little creative to use a muffler but....... nah its stupid.
It is pretty creative, I've seen it around a few times now... guess it must work decently.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #222
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
kingston240: Thanks matt.

For welding overhead you are most likely getting chunky spattered welds? You need to turn up the gas flow for overhead work. A good rule of thumb is that a mig welder should sound like bacon frying in a pan. Turn up the gas until the bead is consistant.

ditch_bound: Lets try to keep this thread serious.

fakts13: Your right they have many uses. wheel tubs, BBQ, trash can, ect.

sildrift86: Thanks. Practice makes perfect.

ROUGE180: Thanks. Alot of other people on this thread have awesome skills as well. I have been building stuff and fabbing stuff ever since I can remember. one year for x mas when I was 4 my dad gave me a cordless drill. Within an hour I had taken almost everything in the house apart. O man was I in trouble.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #223
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
I already posted some of these pics. But ehh.

Here is some pics of a turbo kit I am making for s13, s14, fc3s with ls1/ls2 engines.

S14

Also here is a cage I built for that car.

Custom rear firewall

Cool x bars.

Fender brace.

Pink sdp weld locd version 4

Then I murdered out my 929rr. Metalic charcole/ satin black.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #224
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ Stock CA model 929! I had one of those, from 2001 to 2004, then I got spanked by a GSXR1k and never looked back =P Paint doesn't look too bad

When my pops and I was looking at boosting the Z06, I realized how friggin hard it is to find room for two turbos and all the associated piping with a LSx in the bay... then there's the issue of actually makign the power to make it all worthwhile, and not blowing the piston lands on #7... The Vortec turned out to be the simple option, and works very well. ~530rwhp @ 6psi. What kind of prep was done to those LSx's, and what kind of numbers are you hoping for?

I sure to miss the turbo spool in the 'vette that I have in the S13.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #225
blu808
Post Whore!

I will post up more numbers on the turbo stuff once we actually dyno. I dont want to give out false numbers.

Anyway. The 929 is fun. I am more into knee dragging thank doing drag runs and with the gearing and mods I have it can smoke my friends 06 gsxr 750, and my buddies tl1000r, so its fast enough. Its really just a beater bike anyways.

As for motor prep. The obvious fuel system, with 60# injectors, 2 bar map sensor, major tuning on our dyno with hp tuners, and 91 octane. With all the lsx cars we boost. we regularly see 550 whp on camaros, vettes, ect. with stock engines. Most of the hype around the internet of people blowing shit up is because it is not tuned correctly.

After we have a good tune for the shop car we will be including that map with the turbo kits. Then I will be throwing in our 383 stroker ls1 which is being built right now for 950-1000 whp. say goodbye to the tranny, clutch, rear end, axles, and whatever is connected to them. lol
Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #226
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ Wow. That's constructive. Luke, please don't get discouraged Oh look ditch, your green square is now red.

Can't wait to see the finished turbo kit! There's a lot of interest, and not very many kits that are durable (lots of cracking near the flanges, because it's so hard to support the turbo's weight), or make as much power as a simple Vortec. I know you'll do the work to do it right, which is what makes me excited

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #227
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
blu808: I usually see manifold that try to have equal lenght runners(or tubes ? I don't know). But yours is not like that, is this affecting performance in any way ? (talking about the gto engine)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #228
blu808
Post Whore!

A long runner manifold or equal length would be beneficial to performance because it equals out the pulsing effect from each cylinder. It also is less restrictive.

The manifold I built is called a log style manifold. It is actually a very common style of manifold, and many cars use that design.

So yes it would be better to use a equal length long runner manifold, but considering it is turbo charged, and that the ls1 makes so much exhaust cfm's it will work just fine with the log style.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #229
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
Log manifold ftw, keep up the awesome work luke.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #230
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
alright, i took some time saturday night to drink/work on the wheels tubs on one of our drift cars.I didn't get very far as i went through the orginal design and a few other variations. i made a bunch of cardboard templates and eventually built a rough draft of the one i think we will end up finishing off.

the cardboard templates... Thanks USPS.

Took me a little time to get this all cut out and fitted still doesn't fit a 100% how i wanted, but its close enough. i will get some pictures from the bottom of the tub to show the way i tacked it together.

This is the tub with the start of the flush mount relay box. I had this vision in my head, but im still not sure i will can pull it off as clean as i would like. I am still pretty new to sheet metal fabrication, with no formal training and learning basically everything i know on my own i figure i can teach myself over time. Sheet metal is cheap and i dont mind wasting it like with tube.

Once i can get the wiring harness all back to how its ran stock i should beable to mount the box and tub to make sure final fitment and look is what i am going for, right now the tub has to sitt off because of how i have the harness pulled into the bay.
This car was in a wreck and had the whole section infront of the towers replaced, and they did a really bad welding job on it, i cut the fender rails apart again and pulled the harness into the bay so i could cut the tub areas out, the owner a friend of mine decided to stitch weld the strut towers and the place i cut the fender rails back together.... now i have to clean off all his welds and recut the fender rails. FUN....

Completely unrelated, but here is a log manifold i made last year its a EvoIII big16G turbo on a Sr20det for a car we are working on, it will hopefully get to make it into the NOPI series this year.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #231
widegts
Banned from the Marketplace

Location: Walnut/WestCovina ............................ Everything in this world is art. A simple alteration of how you see something, is art. So with that in mind, what do you see as art!!!
widegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfectionwidegts is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to widegts Send a message via Yahoo to widegts
i see a beer! haha.

that is very innovative, using the template! hmmmmm i like!
widegts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #232
blu808
Post Whore!

Ok heres another fabrication project update.

So at work I decided to start building the exhaust system.

We were going to use 3.5" tubing all the way back to the x pipe, but the tranny cross member was sitting too low. We want to maximize ground clearance, and have the frame be the lowest part of the car.

The solution. Fabricate some round to oval collectors all while maintaining the same cubic area.

Well here is what we started with.

A v band, welded to a 3.5" piece of mandrel bent tubing. welded to 2 triangles, that are welded to a custom made piece of 2.5" x 7" oval tubing.
All tig welded together.

Yes that was a pain in the ass to make. And im not even half way done.

Next was time to make the side pieces.

bending a sliced piece of 3.5" tubing

marking where to cut.

Cut, and tacked up.

On the car. Fits perfectly.

THen I made the other one.

Fucking sick.

And yes it was a pain in the ass to make these.

Then it was time to send some shit out to be powder coated. This meant that all bearings, seals, etc had to be removed.

Fun.
alternator

ac pump.

its a 7 cylinder

Look at all the cute little pistons.

Ps pump.

Then Vic asked me to tig weld this stainless steering arm to a stainless u joint.
Turned out great.

Then I took a break and decided to work on the turbo kit.

First I took the turbo and manifold and mocked up the system on the Ls1 FC.

Fits good.

Plenty of Downpipe clearance.

Thats all for now. Im tired. lol
Old 01-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #233
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
I had a similar idea for the exhaust on my car when I do it, Luke. Once again, your work is awesome! Did I tell you the oval tubing was my idea? Did you steal my idea?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #234
blu808
Post Whore!

You know me. Always stealing Barrys ideas. lol

You should see my 3.5" oval down pipe im going to be making this weekend.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #235
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Luke,
Those exhaust boom tubes are sick. That thing is gonna be loud! There are tons of boom tubes on ebay from nextel cup cars for pretty decent prices. Is that turbo V8 in a 240? Probably won't be fast

Here is the new RS Maxi manifold tacked up. I'll remove each runner individually, weld them w/ back purging and then re install them and weld the last two welds. I still need to do the wastegate runners but will do that once I can get the engine back in the car. The material is 304. I would have liked to use 321 or 316 but it would have been over 3x the money. I'm going to send the manifold to zircotec in the UK (for coating) once it is completed.

driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #236
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Ok, since this is the fabrication thread, lets talk welders.

I think me and a few buddies are gonna go in together on a mig welder, probalby will have about 800 to spend. This will be something for seam welding and making a roll cage and other little stuff but we'll probably start light and work our way up the fabbing scale.

http://store.cyberweld.com/millermatic175.html

any opinions on this, and probably would pick it up with the spool gun?

What else would you guys reccomend, lincolns? hobarts?

Is it likely to get a pulsed mig at the price, or have i not been looking hard enough?
EDIT, Nevermind, pulsed mig is not a cash option haha.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #237
fakts13
Zilvia Member

fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
hey driftstyre: what gauge 304 are you using? I take it the car is gonna be for drag with a turbo that big? should be strong enough to hold up for a bit if it is for drag. your fitment on every cut is awesome on the runners (no gaps). how long did it take you to mock that up?

edit: just took a look at your build thread, nevermind what I said, nice project!

aa87: that would probably be good enough for most projects. I prefer tigging aluminum, so I've never used a spool gun before. if you see yourself needing to weld aluminum, I'd get the spool gun. you don't need pulsed mig, just practice making your finger into the pulser

Last edited by fakts13; 02-01-2008 at 10:40 AM..
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #238
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa87 View Post
Ok, since this is the fabrication thread, lets talk welders.

I think me and a few buddies are gonna go in together on a mig welder, probalby will have about 800 to spend. This will be something for seam welding and making a roll cage and other little stuff but we'll probably start light and work our way up the fabbing scale.

http://store.cyberweld.com/millermatic175.html

any opinions on this, and probably would pick it up with the spool gun?

What else would you guys reccomend, lincolns? hobarts?

Is it likely to get a pulsed mig at the price, or have i not been looking hard enough?
EDIT, Nevermind, pulsed mig is not a cash option haha.
2 questions. What kind of metal do you plan on welding? How thick? Do you have an outlet for 220volts? Yeah, I know that was 3 questions. So sue me

I bought my miller 140 through cyberweld. I have no complaints. I picked the millermatic 140 because it takes 110 volt and I don't see myself welding anything thick. If i do, i could bevel the work piece and do multiple passes.
Jung918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #239
jobestudios
Zilvia Junkie

jobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
nice work on the tubs. What gauge sheet did you go with? 16 or 18?
Sorry, I didn't see this question until now. I used 18 gauge sheet for this, ended up getting a full sheet and used 1/4 of it. Now I'm trying to figure out what I want to make with the rest

I just brought in an S14 SR with Apexi Power FC to use my gt2871r on and I figure the S14 intake manifold is a good excuse to do a vmount intercooler. I've already done all the measuring I need and have designed the system in CAD to help figure it all out. A few questions, do you know where I can order 1 3/8" aluminum straight pipe and tight radius mandrel bends? I need to rework the radiator pipe and I don't want to just use sections of hose :P.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to mount my oil cooler on my right wheel tub or if I'll run it through my GTR style grill and out the first uras hood vent.

-Jackson

-Jackson.Vaughn.Photography-
jobestudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #240
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobestudios View Post
A few questions, do you know where I can order 1 3/8" aluminum straight pipe and tight radius mandrel bends? I need to rework the radiator pipe and I don't want to just use sections of hose :P.
-Jackson
http://www.burnsstainless.com/Alumin...minumtube.html
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote