Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Meow636
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Meow636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Help a Noob... recommended exhaust...burnt out speed sensor?

Hey whats up guys I just picked up my first 240sx its a 95 s14 with a sr20det engine in it for a good price(maybe Ill post pictures later)

The exteriors in good shape but I need some help sorting out some of the inside.
  • The Odometer isnt working so I need to know whether I need a speed sensor off ant KA motor like the last owner said or one specially for a 95 s14 with a SR engine..

Also the exhaust he had mounted on there is loud as fuck and I think from a no name brand.... I want one that sounds smooth and wont wake up my neighbors looking to spend about 250-500... Will it be difficult to install myself or if not where are some good shops in Orange County to get it installed professional

Lastly there is no power steering, the previous owner said his brother may have cracked the rack and pinion since it sits so low. Where can I go get this looked at and about how much will it be to have it fixed right?

Those are basically the biggies that I have no clue about the rest of the issues I can work out myself with a search and more time on the forums.

Any help and input you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Meow636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
This could have been answered in the Small Questions Thread but eeeeh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow636 View Post
The Odometer isnt working so I need to know whether I need a speed sensor off ant KA motor like the last owner said or one specially for a 95 s14 with a SR engine..
Odometer is most likely not working because the PO most likely fucked with it trying to rollback or "match" his old cluster mileage or other stupid thing
Odometer should still read whether it has KA or SR speed sensor. KA reads mph SR reads Kph which is why you always use a KA sensor when SR swap

Quote:
Also the exhaust he had mounted on there is loud as fuck and I think from a no name brand.... I want one that sounds smooth and wont wake up my neighbors looking to spend about 250-500... Will it be difficult to install myself or if not where are some good shops in Orange County to get it installed professional
I'm just going to guess you're not mechanically inclined at all, because it's not that hard to install and exhaust.
Megan type 2
RS*R Ex-Mag
Greddy Ti-C
Apexi Hi-Power
or just install a High-flow cat and a resonator to your exhaust

Quote:
Lastly there is no power steering, the previous owner said his brother may have cracked the rack and pinion since it sits so low. Where can I go get this looked at and about how much will it be to have it fixed right?
If the PO really did crack the steering rack then you're just going to have to buy a new one.
Check underneath to see if its cracked. Most likely its leaking for the High Pressure hose or the High and Low pressure hoses are "looped" to make it a "manual rack"
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
All of the above.

I do wonder however how being low could result in a cracked steering rack. Seems like sitting up on the member the way it does, one would be far more likely to strip the car of its oil pan before the rack itself ever got touched. I bet it has something to do with the lines or the pump... Unless the rack is indeed shot. Try servicing it and seeing what happens.

OP- doesn't sound like you got a great deal. Sounds like you may have inherited a bunch of bugs that are gonna set your wallet back to what an SR-swapped S14 usually goes for- or above. Hopefully all goes well for you.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Meow636
Leaky Injector

Meow636 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a few friends who are willing to help me out and install all the stuff I paid 4k and the PO said the engine had 35k on it the chasis had 156k

It was sitting in his garage for a few months while he was away in the military

I have money to put into it too fix it but I dont want to blow more than like 2k just to get it running ahhh!

Also.. it stopped starting on me today on my way home from school seems like the starter is out :[[
Meow636 is offline   Reply With Quote