Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
JBB's redtop s14 build

Hello!
I am going to be copying over my build from one of those other 240sx sites.

So I got introduced to the import scene when I was around 19. I was hooked and started searching for my first toy.

I picked up this 89 s13 coupe and loved it. My plan was "save 2 grand to buy an SR and have FUN!", I was a little naive at the time.

The ride height was terrible and it smelled like a dog (not surprised since the redneck I bought it from showed up with his pit bull in the back seat when I went to check it out/buy it). I had fun with it for a little while and even though it was an "old car" it still got looks.

Well it rained particularly hard one night and when I went to start the car up the next morning, nothing happened. There was a live power cable for a sub in the trunk sitting in the wheel well (lowest point) and apparently the trunk didnt seal well because it was sitting in a puddle of water. I fried several relays. After replacing them I started finding more and more things wrong with the motor, including a broken woodruff key...I eventually ran out of cash trying to get it running right and just sold it. That was around 2009 or so.

Fast forward to 2011 and I picked up a somewhat clean and stock 95 s14.

Non-SE, 5 speed, hard top, power options, about 140k miles and nothing majorly wrong with it. Typical 20 year old car issues...peeling clearcoat on the hood, some surface rust on the trunk lid, etc. Small crack on the dash and weird cut looking marks on the door panels. Nothing that really couldnt be fixed.

I tucked away some money for a while and got to a point that I felt comfortable starting my project so I began placing orders (end of the year 2012).

For the past 5 years I had planned on ordering my SR from oaskajdmmotors but I did a little reading before placing my order and read on a subaru forum actually that most of their inventory at that time was tsunami flood damaged motors. I also heard that it was pretty easy to get the short end of the stick when dealing with purchases made out of the country.

I decided to go with jspecauto.com since they were located in virginia. I bought a redtop from them (through ebay actually, for the points and added paypal protection). It looked pretty clean, they claimed it only had 54,000 miles, and they had a compression test video. 174, 173, 170, 174. I thought it seemed pretty good even though it was a little overpriced ($2,299 fee shipping). I bought it on a sunday and it was delivered the following thursday.

I unwrapped it and snapped these two pictures while my friend I started looking it over.

My buddy was over and we decided to just give it a look-over that night. As we started inspecting things, we noticed that there were a lot of parts that looked pretty much brand new. After further inspection, it turns out that just about everything that looked brand new actually had a little dab of green paint...we thought maybe this is how they had marked parts that they had replaced? Who knows...anyways, the parts that had the paint were: injectors, throttle body and cable assembly, idle air control valve, and the throttle positioning sensor. Some other parts looked brand new: water pump, the belts, and the power steering pump.

One thing that caught our eye, that Im still a little concerned about today, was the ECU. It had 2 stickers on the top, "TBO Racing Parts For Racing Purposes Use Only", and "FAST Made in Japan". There were also "fast" stickers along the sides, so that if the ECU was opened up you would have to break the stickers. I attempted looking these companies up, but I found very little information. All I could find about TBO was that they made aero parts, which wouldnt make any sense why there would be a TBO sticker on the ECU. Secondly, the information for FAST was alaso very limited -- I found that it stands for "Fuel Air Spark Timing" and apparently was a tuning company in Japan? Im guessing that this ECU is chipped, and Im really hoping that the tune on here isnt funky...and that it actually runs for now

Anyways, this thread is going to be pretty picture intensive. I took all of the pictures with my phone, its an iphone 4s, so they might not be the best of quality but I dont have a digital camera. I might not list a description for every picture, so if you have any questions just ask.

Ill start with the parts that Ive been ordering:

My first order came in: (enjukuracing)
Isis m-spec FMIC with piping pre-flanged for a Greddy BOV. I heard that this front mount is identical to the Greddy M-spec.
Mishimoto aluminum radiator
Circuit sports metal coolant overflow tank (my plastic one is all broken and the plastic was flaking into the coolant)

2nd thing to come in was my walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump

3rd order came with some exciting parts: (phase2motortrend)
OEM water pump (didnt snap a picture)
ARP head studs (also didnt take a picture)
Circuit Sports 3" downpipe with a flex section
Exedy stage 1 organic clutch
ACT streetlite flywheel
Greddy type RZ BOV

Then I received order 4 and 5 on the same day so Ill lump them all together: (amazon and FRsport)
AEM Uego A/F gauge
AEM Truboost b00st controller/gauge
Optima redtop battery
ARP rod bolts
Summit racing battery relocation kit (I guess I only took a picture of the power cable..)

I had another order from Enjuku, however Ive only received 1 part so far:
Circuit sports 3" turbo elbow/up-pipe
Not yet shipped from this order:
steering wheel gauge pod
s14 to s13 A/C conversion bracket
OEM timing chain
NGK iridiums
belts

order 7 was actually the very first order I placed...and one of the last to be delivered (z1motorsports)
Nismo motor/tranny mounts
z1 silicone radiator hoses
OEM oil pump assembly
s13 redtop SR20 gasket kit

Also from order 7, but directly from GReddy:
Greddy type RS 3" exhaust (I really really really wanted the TI-C, however, it was discontinued a year ago. I called just about every performance shop I could find and NO ONE had one left. I was told that the RS is the exact same exhaust, just minus the titanium / burnt tip.)
Greddy oversized oil pan (I guess I didnt take a picture of this..)

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s189/knuck1es
/240%20parts%20and%20build/IMG_0375.jpg[/IMG]

Order 8 was from FRsport again,
Circuitsports 480cc oil catch can
Circuitsports 250cc oil catch can
You can just call me TwoCan Sam!! My buddy has a pretty good idea for running these dual catch cans, more on this later

Here's the pile of parts that has been slowly growing in my 2nd bedroom. Coming home every day brings such mixed feelings, Im happy to see these and know that it will be awesome one day soon, but its also depressing looking at so much money just sitting there that I cant do anything with yet.

So thats about it for parts for now, if anyone has any comments or suggestions please let me know. As a side note, although these circuitsports items are made in china, the quality is far greater than expected. The welds on these things are absolutely sick as well, someone definitely took their time crafting this stuff.

Last edited by JBB; 01-05-2014 at 11:08 AM..
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links