Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Track spares: Things you might need to bring to the track!

When I first started going to drift events, I brought a ton of spare parts. Now I only bring things that I might really need.

Lets list some of the stuff you have had go bad or seen good bad at drift/road racing events.

Stuff I had go bad:
Inner tie rods
Broken welded diff
Altima fan
T-bolt clamps

Stuff I've seen:
Broken wheel studs
Spinning wheel studs
Axles
Turbos
and the most common, the one I almost see at every event!

Clutch Hydraulic issues. Almost every event someones clutch master goes out.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
mr2thomas
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mr2thomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
in my opinion, t bolt clamps suck. if their sizing isnt perfect, it clamps in an oval and causes a leak.

Swap out all your T-bolts for regular worm clamps. As recommended by many tuners i meet.

Also, bring:
extra Arms
extra axles

Things people should bring but never do:
Jumper cables (in case your shit dies and no one else has jumper cables and a push start wont do)
voltmeter (diagnose any electrical problems)
fuses
electric tape (in case of fucked up fender harness or so)
regular wire (in case a harness fucks up and needs to be repaired or even for general testing)
mr2thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jacobzking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i'd say at the top of the list: brake rotors and pads
jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Helps a lot to build a 240sx ground up, with lots of quality brand new parts. I almost got $18k into my s13 now.
Some of the stuff that is to expensive to buy new, just get 2nd hand and make sure it works properly. For example, MAF, ignitor, ignition coil(s). Crank sensor
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Worm gears? Really? you talking that cheap stuff?

Cause t-bolts by far work better if put on properly
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post

Stuff I've seen:
Broken wheel studs
Spinning wheel studs

Axles
Turbos
and the most common, the one I almost see at every event!
Friend of mine used to DD/Drift his 350z and must've broken/spun at least two studs per event. Moral of the story is don't use an impact gun and don't over torque wheels.

I've also seen tons of broken axles, diffs, people bending SUSP arms, bent tie rods, chipped wheels etc.

One thing that people tend to forget is a set of tires to drive home on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone leave an event with destroyed rear tires and expect to get home like that. So sketchy.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Worm gears? Really? you talking that cheap stuff?

Cause t-bolts by far work better if put on properly
lol... i'm gonna have to go with the OP here. I fucking HATE my t-clamps and they are decent quality. i think i'll replace all of mine with worm gears.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
they plop off? I have only blow open 1 t clamp on a very hot day on the track, but doesn't happen often... Worm gears like destroy the silicone
Old 06-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

yeah, my 240 left me stranded a few days ago because one popped off and I left my 11mm wrench at home (which stays in my center console for that very reason but I put it in my track day bag and forgot to put it back in the car after the last event) worm gears will DIG in to the silicone which is good. if its dug in, it won't go anywhere, can't slip off like a t-clamp. smooth metal on smooth silicon = slip under pressure.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
water. to fight dehydration and if your radiator overflows

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobzking View Post
yeah, my 240 left me stranded a few days ago because one popped off and I left my 11mm wrench at home (which stays in my center console for that very reason but I put it in my track day bag and forgot to put it back in the car after the last event) worm gears will DIG in to the silicone which is good. if its dug in, it won't go anywhere, can't slip off like a t-clamp. smooth metal on smooth silicon = slip under pressure.
The best way, is actually clean the pipes and silicon.... hairspray and clamp on... will never come off.....
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
I know what's best thing you could bring..

AAA membership or a friend who has it.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
^^ one of the best post, i agree.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I work for AAA

A memebet ship will always get you home (:
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
zipties, tires, fluids, tools, jack with stands,....and money. Money fixes all these.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I don't know what's up with you guys having problems with T-clamps, but they are the best. Make 100% seal all around. Worm clamps DO NOT seal all the way around.
I don't know what kind of t-clamps you guys have, but I can crush my aluminum pipes with mine if I wanted to. My t-clamps are so tight they dug into silicone and are flush with silicone. And they have nylon to keep nut from spinning off. Beads on pipes is a must. After I tighten them down I test to see if pipe will come off, I put about 200lbs of pulling force on the pipe.
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #17
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Things I bring to a track day.

Extra wheels with tires already mounted - Saves TONS of time
zip ties
all fluids
jack and 2 stands
my track tool set
impact gun
torque wrench
tons of OEM sized bolts
truck and trailer - fuck driving to the track
wiring stuff

Most important thing I find is to spend money on quality parts and prepare before you show up at the track. Change your spark plugs and oil. Bolt check before every event and use loctite on everything.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #18
mr2thomas
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
they plop off? I have only blow open 1 t clamp on a very hot day on the track, but doesn't happen often... Worm gears like destroy the silicone
I haven't personally blown a t-clamp, I'm just saying from my experience and all the cars that come into dyno at the shop i used to work at, they leak slightly all the time. Every car we tune, we would pressurize the charge pipes and t clamps have high chance of leaking. On all the FD race cars, we run regular style clamps
Alot of times they dont pop, but the leak slightly. Alot of people dont notice because most people dont actually pressure test their system.

In comparison, worm clamps dont leak as much, and don't damage your hose as much as you would think. Quality hose isnt that weak either.

T bolts can clamp tight, but they tend to clamp in an oval and allow a leak. Worms generally always clamp round.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
mr2thomas
Leaky Injector

T-bolts work. But for some they don't.

However, regular clamps aren't horrible. They are dependable and work well and doesnt make me worry about leaks.

Can't be that bad if its on Aasbo's car
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #20
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
I work for AAA

A memebet ship will always get you home (:
We've always had AAA in our family, it's saved our assess more times than I can count, especially when my brother used to have a sketchy Turbo MR2 that broke every 100 miles or so.

Question though: Has anyone actually used AAA at a track? Like can you call them and say 'Hey, I'm at such and such raceway and need a tow' or would you have to move the car?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Question though: Has anyone actually used AAA at a track? Like can you call them and say 'Hey, I'm at such and such raceway and need a tow' or would you have to move the car?
Why would'nt they? You could've just been at the race track spectating

I laughed when I saw the spinning wheel stud in the first post, just had my first one recently invest in drill bits and cutting oil!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
for every event i bring replacement arms, couplers, clamps, fluids, decent portable tool set, extra studs and nuts
jackal264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
We've always had AAA in our family, it's saved our assess more times than I can count, especially when my brother used to have a sketchy Turbo MR2 that broke every 100 miles or so.

i called them once but we moved the car outside of the track grounds and the first driver basically told me to fuck off so i called back and they sent a second driver who was cool and towed me.
jackal264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had aaa come get my car from inside a track. Not a problem in the slightest. Kind of expected actually. Wasn't even my insurance it was some dude watching. We just said he was riding with me.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
KravingAKouki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KravingAKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
We had to tow my brothers car after needing to get it outta the house and onto a lift, and the guys from AAA asked if we had any modifications on it, after we told him no he said that they can only tow stock cars with no mods. I guess he didnt see the exhaust but for the most part he was cool. Some guys do visual inspections and one guy actually told us he would get under the car to check sometimes
KravingAKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KravingAKouki View Post
We had to tow my brothers car after needing to get it outta the house and onto a lift, and the guys from AAA asked if we had any modifications on it, after we told him no he said that they can only tow stock cars with no mods. I guess he didnt see the exhaust but for the most part he was cool. Some guys do visual inspections and one guy actually told us he would get under the car to check sometimes
That's weird, I've had AAA tow an array of cars before, FC, S13, Modified S13, Slammed 3000gt, Modified MR2 (350whp or so), Stock/Modified E46, a few Hondas, etc and never gotten hassled.

Hell, I was in an S14 that hugged a pole once, dude towed it without asking a single question other than 'y'all kids alright? Need me to stop at the ER?'.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
It all depends on the driver and company. We have the right to refuse if we don't want to. Aka we dont want to damage your modified car with godspeed parts that broke and now your wheel are sitting sideways
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
AAA does not want to tow lowered cars anymore.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
KravingAKouki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KravingAKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my only guess was may he was going more towards modified suspension as in lowered because itd be a bitch to get on the flatbed
KravingAKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #30
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
AAA does not want to tow lowered cars anymore.
edgar the guy with the Z32 got his car towed from track when his motor blew, he was lowered, it was in april, i just got my car towed to a shop too, i dont know if location matters, but california is still towing lowered cars, it depends on the company i guess, but when i call in i just request for a flatbed, and done deal, AAA plus is a must, towing up to 100 miles.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote