Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
khoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to khoadogg
rear clunks under hard cornering

Came back from another grip track event and noticed even more so now that under hard cornering there is an annoying clunking sound. Sounds like it's coming from the axles/diff area. VLSD with HKS coilovers and 235/40/18 tires. Thinking it might be the subframe bushings or the driveshaft. Any ideas? My car also shutters and shakes in the rear when going into 1st gear unless i give it plenty gas. It's something in the rear and not the engine...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoadogg View Post
Came back from another grip track event and noticed even more so now that under hard cornering there is an annoying clunking sound. Sounds like it's coming from the axles/diff area. VLSD with HKS coilovers and 235/40/18 tires. Thinking it might be the subframe bushings or the driveshaft. Any ideas? My car also shutters and shakes in the rear when going into 1st gear unless i give it plenty gas. It's something in the rear and not the engine...
That's what it sounds like.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:57 AM   #3
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
koah its the subframe bushings. those drop-in spacers would clear that rite up quick.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
^^^ Agreed, get the collars and you'll be all good!
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
JeremyR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
JeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the roughJeremyR is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JeremyR
would alot of freeplay in the axles cause this as well? or maybe could it be slack in the ring and pinion?? i've been having a similar problem, but i already have subframe spacers/collars. rear suspension includes full rear adjustable multi link, coil overs, etc. welded diff. i've always thought it was just becuase my diffs welded, but i've never driven another car with a welded so i really have nothing to compare to.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Well a welded diff will wear everything out faster because it has no give so it puts more stress on all the components. Check for eccesive play everywhere in the rear suspension and of course the diff and axles. Overlowering will accelerate axle wear as well as it puts the axles at an extreme angle.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
the noise you hear is the slack of the driveshaft / ring/pinion / axles engaging. The whirring sound on decel and other noises is what the NVH soft bushings don't allow you to hear/ feel. you are perfectly fine.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

khoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of light
Right on Aaron! I'm about to order some, I'm in the process or picking up another 180sx and hopefully rb20 swap for a nice daily ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideview_180sx View Post
koah its the subframe bushings. those drop-in spacers would clear that rite up quick.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Okay so here's a question for you guys concerning subframe collars and bushings.

When you install any type of collar (solid aluminum, urethane, etc) they only remove the slop temporarily? Why is this?

Also as far as installing the complete Nismo bushing set, once this set starts to wear out (5-8 years), can you just throw in some collars and it's just like new? If so, for how long?

I was under the assumption that solid collars are a permanent fix, not a band-aid.

Any elaboration is appreciated.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
jhec23
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
jhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nicejhec23 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subframe collars will not wear out but the old rubber bushing will. If your subframe bushing is totally shot meaning rubber already separated from the metal spacer inside the bushing assembly then the slop will not disappear but eventually get worse. Tightening it will not help because the bottom washer will push against the inner metal spacer and not the rubber bushing so no matter how tight it is, the slop will still be there.

What I did on mine since my subframe bushing is totally shot is different. I have an aluminum collars in there already but recently I'm getting more squeeking sound from the rear end so I decided to purchased the Peak Performance Urethane collars to replace the aluminum ones. But before I installed it, I pulled the metal spacers inside the subframe bushing but only the 2 front ones because the ones in the back are still intact with the rubber. I used my dremel to cut about a 1/4" from the spacers before I put it back. This way I can have more room to tighten it and completely sandwich the old bushings between the urethane collars. It works great after the install, not even a tiny slop and the inside noise coming from the rear end was greatly reduced because of the urethane spacers.
jhec23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

It was Turn 6 and 14 to be exact.