Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-28-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
LazyAzn

Trader Rating: (0)
LazyAzn is on the path to ruinLazyAzn is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump Issue

I am so stumped. I was driving and the was making a turn and the car just stopped running. I tried to start it and noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming. I thought the fuel pump had gone bad. I jumped the relay with a wire and the fuel pump started up but wouldn't stop. So I tried starting the car that way but it wouldn't start. The car just keeps cranking. I replaced the relay and that is not the issue. I am complete drawing a blank here. Please help
LazyAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
s15meecrob
Leaky Injector

s15meecrob is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to s15meecrob
is it building any pressure?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
LazyAzn

Yes because when I unpluged the hose that goes to fuel rail it sprayed fuel everywhere. did it twice already. Just the fuel pump doesn't prime when the key goes to the ON position anymore
Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyAzn View Post
Yes because when I unpluged the hose that goes to fuel rail it sprayed fuel everywhere. did it twice already. Just the fuel pump doesn't prime when the key goes to the ON position anymore

Even bad fuel pumps, output considerable pressure, one good test you can do as it seems you dont have a fp gauge is place your thumb over the fuel hose that outputs the fuel, a good pump you will not be able to keep from spraying fuel.

Also if you have a volt meter measure the voltage at the pump when the ignition is first turned all teh way to the on position but not started, you need to have two people to do this becasue voltage is only there momentarily.

Its possible your pump is internally shorted and is started to work intermitantly.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
LazyAzn

Ok I will try those things out and get back to you guys and more tests I could preform to figure out this problem would be great.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
EAT Motorsports
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
EAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of lightEAT Motorsports is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EAT Motorsports
main relay?

MSSSSSSSSSSG

EAT Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #7
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
One more thing to do if you have a volt meter, take the fuel pump out and test the resistance accross the fuel pump you should be at roughly 5 ohms (thats spec'd form Nissan) but you'll probably see a tad bit more and that shoudl be fine.

But while you are tesing the resistance accross the + / - terminal slowly turn the fuel pump upside down and look for changes in resistance it should not change at all if its a good fuel pump, a pump that is bad will change noticably example it may go from 5ohms to 300 ohms or 3 Mega ohm's etc etc that a sure sign your pump is gone.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
motorsnail
Zilvia Addict

motorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to allmotorsnail is a name known to all
I dunno fuel pumps do some crazy shit when they are going out. You dont have an extra pump laying around? Like even your stock one if you did sr swap, to see if it comes on normal and such
motorsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyAzn View Post
This is not the way to check for fuel pressure. You need a good fuel pressure gauge.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #10
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
^ lol

it isnt?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:43 AM   #11
LazyAzn

LOL i wish I could afford to buy a gauge but for now thats how I check it
Old 12-01-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
LazyAzn

One more thing I noticed before this problem happened. When I was driving around in the car and I pushed it around 100 and 110 in 4th gear it feels like the clutch is slipping. The car would rev but there would be no more power to the wheels. I was told by my friend that the speed govner wire was cut so that coludn't be it. Maybe this contributed to the problem with the fuel pump I am having now.