Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #12121
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
Noob question, What consequences would I see by cutting the upper radiator support off of my s14 (right after the headlights) and leaving it off, like in the pic? . I need to make clearance for my air to water barrel.
Other than not having a place to mount stuff to? Nothing. I believe it's not a structural piece of the frame.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #12122
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
So I'm installing a new shift boot and knob in my car.

The OEM shifter bezel I guess came apart over the years into 2 pieces:

There's a bunch of glue in the second pic, previous owner wrapped it in carbon-look fabric, but you can see the two different pieces. I'm trying to figure out how they went together
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #12123
cj1977

Trader Rating: (0)
cj1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have a head on collision with anything or any hits your car your equipment could be damaged. Just make a protective bar for that section.
cj1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #12124
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Noob question, What consequences would I see by cutting the upper radiator support off of my s14 (right after the headlights) and leaving it off, like in the pic? . I need to make clearance for my air to water barrel.
Structurarlly it really doesn't do much other than serve as an upper support for the radiator, and the latch bar. If you've got the ability to fab up hood pins on the outer edges, and can find a way to secure the radiator, you'd have zero issue by doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post

There's a bunch of glue in the second pic, previous owner wrapped it in carbon-look fabric, but you can see the two different pieces. I'm trying to figure out how they went together
I've only ever taken notice that it's a single piece, with the leather/fabric being tied into it. Looks like a custom setup from previous owner if you ask me.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #12125
1993fdrx7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
1993fdrx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
How do you remove bottom bolt of S14 coolant waterneck with motor in car? I can't find a way to get on it, thanks!
1993fdrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #12126
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post

Looks like an automatic shifter trim with a boot and trim piece glued to it.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #12127
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I've only ever taken notice that it's a single piece, with the leather/fabric being tied into it. Looks like a custom setup from previous owner if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoracingsx View Post
Looks like an automatic shifter trim with a boot and trim piece glued to it.
Yeah, car used to be auto so that makes sense I guess. I couldn't figure it out, and didn't want to use tape, so I superglued some screw inserts and drilled holes in the other piece of trim that won't be visible, so it fits nice and tight. Probably not a lot of people will have the same issue but here's a pic of how I fixed it:

Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #12128
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
the factory 5-speed shifter trim comes with two pieces of plastic and one leather boot. there are these little shitty plastic posts molded into the main piece of the trim that go through holes in that second piece. They are then held on by these little clips. The plastic posts break off extremely easily and then you end up with the two separate pieces of plastic like you have pictured.

where did you get those little screw inserts? i need to fix my trim piece too.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #12129
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Ah, yeah I did a little more looking and found those little plastic clips you're talking about, mine were long gone haha. Shitty design, and the plastic gets brittle.

And I just got them from ace hardware, nice place like 2 mins from my house. Any larger hardware store *should* have them.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #12130
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm, i may have to pick some of those up and jb weld them to the trim.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #12131
wassupGUY

wassupGUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know where you can find aero for a 91 cressida?
wassupGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #12132
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:

Doesn't the water barrel fit if you move the battery to the trunk or get rid of the air box? I know Summit makes a shit ton of different sized stainless or plastic 'catch cans' and every zenki or kuoki has space for one or two of them under the hood once the intake is swapped out and the battery is moved to the trunk

DAVID, RE STARTER ISSUE
The bendix drive relay in the starter should not only move the gear to mesh with the flywheel, it should turn it to start the vehicle. If this is not happening there are two possibilities:
1: The flywheel is bad and is missing teeth
2: The bendix is worn and will not hold power to move the weight of the central reciprocating mass of the motor

If the bendix gear is moving to mesh, but not turning, the starter is no good. Monkeys at AutoZone can put a starter on a test board and make it turn, but unless their machine has a load set up, they cannot truly duplicate the movement a starter makes once it is meshed with the flywheel. It sounds like your starter does not have it's ability to push the weight or you have an afu flywheel that has worn teeth
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #12133
David48
Zilvia Addict

Would I be okay with just buying a new solenoid and putting it on one of the starters? Or should I just buy a whole new starter? I don't think it has anything to do with worn/missing teeth. It's gotta be electrical.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #12134
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
Would I be okay with just buying a new solenoid and putting it on one of the starters? Or should I just buy a whole new starter? I don't think it has anything to do with worn/missing teeth. It's gotta be electrical.
For the amount of time and effort your going to be putting into swapping the starter, it may be more beneficial to just swap in a new assembly. It's a wear item and they do to bad over time. There are some shops still around that can and will refurb them. I can't remember if this is for your daily or not, but I would purchase a new one to save the headache of having to uninstall/reinstall/spend more money if the solenoid is not the problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #12135
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
if you just bought this starter for the 3rd time, take that bisch back and exchange it
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #12136
David48
Zilvia Addict

I swapped in one from another car I had laying around which was bad, then I bought the 3rd one from a friend for pretty cheap, so it doesn't bother me too much. I'll probably buy a whole new one just for the peace of mind.

And for the record I'm down to 1 s14, no more S13s lol
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #12137
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993fdrx7 View Post
How do you remove bottom bolt of S14 coolant waterneck with motor in car? I can't find a way to get on it, thanks!
Wrench or socket with extension? 1/4 drive IIRC fits in there easily.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #12138
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
It would be nice if someone with ganadors can help me or can answer this question:

Anyone know the spring length of ganador mirrors so it will settle back into position?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #12139
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Doesn't the water barrel fit if you move the battery to the trunk or get rid of the air box? I know Summit makes a shit ton of different sized stainless or plastic 'catch cans' and every zenki or kuoki has space for one or two of them under the hood once the intake is swapped out and the battery is

The length of the barrel won't fit where you mentioned. Basically it is going to be placed right in front of the motor. I use a chase bays rad so mounting stuff on that section isn't important.
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #12140
Lugged

Trader Rating: (1)
Lugged is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what brand the is front bumper?
Thanks in advance.

Lugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #12141
David48
Zilvia Addict

Looks like a Silvia K's aero bumper with a random lip on it
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #12142
eZiR- rps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
eZiR- rps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I have a r32 gts-t driver seat... the left rail front mount (I guess was cut an rewelded)
won't mount ....

is the rail interchangeable with schassis rails?? or do I need another r32 rail?
hustle hard
eZiR- rps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #12143
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

^ not an aero bumper but idk what it is.

Does anyone have exp with zeal coils? How low do they go
Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #12144
ME GUSTA
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
ME GUSTA is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
zeals were amazing on my evo. didn't go that low though. they aren't really known to slam cars. but they're superb coils.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #12145
terrence
Zilvia Junkie

terrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugged View Post
Thanks in advance.

G-Corporation
terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #12146
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME GUSTA View Post
zeals were amazing on my evo. didn't go that low though. they aren't really known to slam cars. but they're superb coils.
Thanks. I know they're really nice, I'm just looking to upgrade from KTS , but I want something that will go really low.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #12147
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
When installing an NRG short hub on an S14, is it still necessary to widen the holes on the hub for the turn signal cancellation? Or did NRG finally get smart and do it themselves? I was reading info from some installs done several years ago and they were talking about having to dremel or drill the holes on the hub out to a bigger size, so that the hub would work correctly on an S14.
Anybody?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #12148
David48
Zilvia Addict

Just in case anyone encounters my starting problems through searching, I finally found out what it was. I have a bad battery cable, apparently.

Quote:
I picked up a new to me S14. It's a 96 so it's OBD2 if that effect anything. It's running sluggish so I started tracing the ground wire off the negative terminal and as I pulled it up there was an exposed piece that hit the positive terminal and it shorted something out. All it does when I try to start it is make a click. I traced the click to the clutch/ASCD cut relay. I swapped it out with the AC relay which is the same, but it still clicks. I swapped out the starter with a known good one and it still just clicks. I'm about to hit the FSM but does anyone have an idea of what it could be?
Quote:
Oh and it's worth mentioning the car still starts with a push. After it happened I drove it home from a friend's shop and everything was perfect, it just seems to be affecting the starter.
Quote:
Also, it wouldn't start when we jumped it so it's not a battery issue either. I'm lost. I suspected the 100 amp fuse after searching a few hours but it looks fine.

My answer is most likely on page 29 but I'm too stupid to know how to read this. Anyone willing to help?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/240sx/1996/el.pdf

It's a factory 5 speed, no theft warning system.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #12149
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugged View Post
Thanks in advance.

echo G Corp, adding copy of 270R front, and 270R sides. Overfenders can't remember the name but they seem to be getting heavy use on JDM stuff right now...Vertex?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #12150
terrence
Zilvia Junkie

terrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymore
I am 6' 2" and 150lbs and my last seat was a Bride Vios III. Which was a little short for me and uncomfortable but got me the head room I wanted. So my question is, sticking with Bride what would be a better option for a bucket seat? Would the zeta III L still give me decent head room? Anyone else in my position have any experience with this?
terrence is offline   Reply With Quote