Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #31
jrivera
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (26)
jrivera is making a name for him/her selfjrivera is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
What's the plan for the e brake assembly with the STI rears?

And reading other posts on here. I have a soft spot for brakes. Who cares if your car is DD and doesn't have the HP to back them up. Most things on most peoples cars (body kits, wings, etc.) don't really have a functional purpose. At least brakes come to play and are needed or will be needed at some point.

CTblack240, have you put your rotors on? What rims are you rocking?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
Beejis60
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm with you too.... few things in this world you don't go cheap on: tattoos, lawyers, brakes, and tires are my quality must-haves.
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
CTblack240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
CTblack240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I try not to cheap out on the safety part of a car...the rotors are on now and I'm rocking my Varrstoen 2.2.1s, 18x9.5 +12, no spacer, just about clears them.
CTblack240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
jrivera
Zilvia Member

jrivera is making a name for him/her selfjrivera is making a name for him/her self
I'm sure those will look really nice with those brakes. Especially compared to the stock ones lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
jrivera
Zilvia Member

Your thread brings back many memories from way back when. I couldn't sleep at night when I first bought the brakes lol

First it took over my dining room table

Then it took over my part of my living room

Another idea...
My best friend had EVO calipers up front and used Z32 rears. But he bought brembo stickers and made them look like it

Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #36
Beejis60
BANNED

Is it me, or did you not tape off the inner part of the cali?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
CTblack240
Zilvia Addict

It's you, I taped it all off, the little gray you see in the picture is on the bottom part of the pads that I was throwing out, i tape off the internal parts, just wanted to get the bottom part that was visible in color as well.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #38
jrivera
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post
Is it me, or did you not tape off the inner part of the cali?
They were painted, then rebuilt.

It's worth spending the extra $150 to rebuild the brakes.

Last edited by jrivera; 05-27-2012 at 09:33 AM..
jrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
Beejis60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTblack240 View Post
It's you, I taped it all off, the little gray you see in the picture is on the bottom part of the pads that I was throwing out, i tape off the internal parts, just wanted to get the bottom part that was visible in color as well.
I was talking the rear calis pic with red all over the pistons and seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera View Post
It's worth spending the extra $150 to rebuild the brakes.
lol, you don't have to tell me that.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #40
7jpat
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
7jpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
what did u use for conversion lines ? did z32 lines fit the brembos
7jpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #41
edmorl
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (24)
edmorl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
all been covered before

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/93748-...se-do-yet.html
edmorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #42
Beejis60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7jpat View Post
what did u use for conversion lines ? did z32 lines fit the brembos
Brembos have a banjo input/output; z32 do not. You can just reuse stock or Evo lines.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #43
JonathanPrem
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
JonathanPrem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quick question-

Anyone know the width difference between 30mm 300zx and evo 9 front cailpers.
JonathanPrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #44
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Wow guys all of this info installs have been covered to death. -->http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/93748-...se-do-yet.html

STI rear brembo's will fit you s-chassis if your running the Z32 rear drum assembly. You do NOT need to space it, it will fit perfectly fine with z32 rear rotors. I know this cause I have been running that setup for 3 years now with no issues. YES the e-brake will work as well with the STI rear brembo setup with the z32 rear drum assembly. Yes you need to change out the brake lines, you can run the z32 conversion brake lines which are sold everywhere. No one wants to run the evo/z33 rear brembo cause it doesn't bolt up and its too much of a PITA to get it to work. Most guys already verified that the Z32 rear caliper setup is actually better than the STI rear brembo due to more contact surface area with the brake pad. The brembo rear are only for bling factor. If you have the cash (which 95% of you don't) and can source brembos off a GT-R V-Spec (r32/33/34) it will bolt on as well (good luck trying to find affordable rear rotors tho).

If you want to go extreme and want bling factor you can run the DUAL z32 rear caliper setup which will use 1 pair as your ebrake (via hydro lever) and another as a reg brake caliper. http://zilvia.net/f/brakes/402922-s-...r-kit-new.html
Theoretically you can use dual STI rear brembos or Skyline GTR brembos since they bolt up to the caliper ears the same way z32 calipers bolt up but I don't think anyone has had the $$$ to give it a try. But if your looking for the "BALLER" on a budget setup, that's one way to go.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #45
florante rea
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (43)
florante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to florante rea Send a message via Yahoo to florante rea
Yeah Eek is right about the whole z32 rear being bigger vs the sti/evo rear. He's actually my first customer to buy my brackets. 3 years and his setup are still holding
Stick to what works guys!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #46
Skilz10179
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Skilz10179 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice write up. I currently have Z32 calipers with Powered By Max 13" rotors and brackets but I'm really considering switching to the Brembo conversion now. Does anyone know how comparable the Evo 8/9 calipers are to the G8 GXP Brembo calipers? I have a friend looking to get rid of his G8 Brembos, it would be nice if they fit the Evo rotors and brackets.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #47
USN_S14

Trader Rating: (0)
USN_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In the november 2011 issue of Import Tuner (pg.82) they covered this and they did the sti/evo swap. where they did Z32 BMC. '04-'06 STI calipers and pads (front and rear), and '03-'07 evo rotors (front), and Z32 rear rotors and e-brake assembly and r32 e-brake cable. The front sti calipers just need a bracket (sold on zilvia) from Skullwerks. and everything is easy from there. i work for oriellys and you cant get sti calipers im betting you have to go to the dealership, ebay, or get them second hand. all in all this set up looks sick to they did say they did need a 5mm spacer to clear their 350z rims. but ya
USN_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #48
florante rea
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (43)
florante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to florante rea Send a message via Yahoo to florante rea
I'm not going to point fingers. I'm the first one to sell those evo brackets. i revised the bracket n also made the sti. I don't sell as much brackets anymore because some other sellers tried to copy my shit. I'm not going to give names but 4 of them bitches ordered my brackets n started selling it too. Its very disappointed that to see other ppl take credits for something they stole basically!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #49
LBK S13

Trader Rating: (1)
LBK S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very nice write up and idea!!! I haven't done the 5 lug conversion yet but I now know what brake set up I will use when I do it! Thanks!
LBK S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #50
greys13

greys13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I looked around for a while to find a clear write-up on installing the Evo 8/9 Brembos on a 240 and couldn't find one that I thought was very straight forward so I figured I'd make my own when I did mine

Here is a comparison of Evo 8/9 vs 300zx calipers.

First off, I got a set of Brembos off a Evo 9. Came with the calipers, pads and rotors. Rotors are in eh shape so I'm either going to be buying new ones or having my buddy resurface them. Pads have some life on em so I'll keep em for now and the calipers are in decent shape until I want to powdercoat them.

First step is to jack the car up and remove your lug nuts and wheel.

Next step is to remove the 12mm nut on the back of the stock caliper that holds the brake line to the caliper. Watch out because there will be brake fluid in it and will run out of the line. I just threw a cup underneath to catch all of it. Next step after that is to remove the (2) 19mm bolts holding the caliper to the nuckle of the suspension. Once those are both off, the caliper will come off the rotor and the rotor will come off the hub. Here is a picture of where the bolts are on the back of the caliper.

The next thing I did was cut the dust shield for clearance of the new rotor. I started by cutting the 90 degree bend off...after that I cut the corners off so that I had even more clearnace and didnt need to worry about anything rubbing at all. Heres a picture of once I cut it all off and hit it was some sandpaper.

Heres also a picture of side to side comparison of size.

I than dropped off the rotors to the machine shop for a quick resurface and started to strip the calipers. I took some sandpaper to them to get them scuffed up and took off all the rough spots in them. I than hit them with a nice coat of filler primer. I let that flash over night and than applied some paint the next day. Finishing them off with brand new Brembo stickers off eBay! (I know their missing the "B" in the middle of the circle for some reason...) Here's some pictures.

I went with the Version 1 Evo 240sx Brembo brackets off of MadParts.net. They ran me $100 shipped. The installation was very easy from this point on. The bracket attached to the caliper with 2 bolts which I put some Lock-Tite on and torqued down. Than I slide the rotor on, put a lug nut on to hold it in place and set the caliper in place. 2 more bolts with some Lock-Tite slide through the OEM knuckle and thread into the adapter bracket. Then torque them down, bleed the calipers and your all set to go ! Here's a picture of the completed product!

where did you get the blue caliper paint from?
greys13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #51
CTblack240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greys13 View Post
where did you get the blue caliper paint from?
It's Duplicolor Bahama Blue, I used a high temp primer and than used that and than cleared them.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #52
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
tapdeznutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
wow so this shit is "straight" bolt on. very nice and simple write up. thanks for sharing.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #53
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
tapdeznutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
It's Duplicolor Bahama Blue, I used a high temp primer and than used that and than cleared them.
any issues with the bahama blue paint discoloring or issues? i am assuming it was not high temp paint, only the primer was high temp. ??
Old 09-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #54
qwerth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
qwerth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
did you use the stock BMC? or did you upgrade to z32?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #55
JonathanPrem
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
JonathanPrem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Im currently using stock and the pedal feel is good.
JonathanPrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #56
S14_ZX10R
Zilvia Member

S14_ZX10R is an unknown quantity at this point
I just picked up evo 8 brembos and found some rotord drilled and slotted for 100bucks on ebay and thanks for the link for the brackets gone pick those up
S14_ZX10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #57
S14_ZX10R
Zilvia Member

What kind/number sand paper did you use i need to poweder coat them and if maybe you have a link to take apart the calipers???
Old 01-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #58
S14_ZX10R
Zilvia Member

Also what bmc did you use im running my s14